Uniden BCT15X - Cutting out on weak signals!

robert adam johnson

Hi,
Can anyone help me - I own a Uniden BCT15X
Strong signal are great but the more distance weaker signals cut in and out - Has anybody else had this issue? Its not the antenna or coax as it's been checked on a MFJ Analyser - Is there a way of getting rid of the weak signal cutting out? I bought the scanner from new - This issue is really annoying - Any ideas will be much appreciated
73 Robert United Kingdom

Joe M.

"checked on a MFJ Analyser" - Checked with "Mighty Fine Junk", huh?

Things to check (although all would affect strong signals too):
1. Close Call
2. Weather Priority
3. Channel Priority

Make sure all of those are disabled.

Make sure the squelch is set for about 2 (maybe 3).

Make sure the mode programmed (FM vs NFM) matches the signal.

It's also possible local signals are interfering with reception.

Joe M.

On 4/18/2020 11:25 AM, robert johnson wrote:
Hi,
Can anyone help me - I own a Uniden BCT15X
Strong signal are great but the more distance weaker signals cut in and
out - Has anybody else had this issue? Its not the antenna or coax as
it's been checked on a MFJ Analyser - Is there a way of getting rid of
the weak signal cutting out? I bought the scanner from new - This issue
is really annoying - Any ideas will be much appreciated
73 Robert United Kingdom

Rick NK7I

Robert,

There are a few basic reasons that the signal can cut out.  Here are some (not in any order)...

1)  It's THAT weak.

2)  The squelch is too restricted.

3)  If it uses CTCSS and it's weak, the receiver may not capture enough audio to allow an open squelch (try disabling CTCSS).

4)  A local transmitter on/near the frequency wanted is blocking what you want to hear.  This may be simply near the frequency of interest but strong enough that the AGC (part of the receiver chain) dials down the sensitivity (it can't manage signals too loud otherwise).

5)  The bandwidth of the signal may exceed the setting of the receiver, i.e. you're listening in NFM but the signal is WFM and it's going out of the bandpass of the receiver.

6)  Local noise sources (LED lights, neon lights, wall wart power cubes, many electronics) may cause interference.

If there is a pattern to the dropping out, that may assist in knowing the reason.

One quick test, try another receiver and see if it continues to drop out.

A pre-amplifier at the antenna may boost the signals (and noise sources) well enough to help, BUT if you're also hearing very strong signals, it can be overdriven too (swamped is the usual term).  It can also be useful to overcome line loss in the antenna feed (which is why you put a receiver pre-amp AT the antenna).

If it's something you need to hear more consistently, a directional antenna may help (at the cost of less hearing in other directions).  Using a directional antenna, one 'listens' in that direction and they tend to null out noise sources in the other directions.

Using a higher gain antenna for that band may also be useful.

Good luck,
Rick NK7I

On 4/18/2020 8:25 AM, robert johnson wrote:
Hi,
Can anyone help me - I own a Uniden BCT15X
Strong signal are great but the more distance weaker signals cut in and out - Has anybody else had this issue? Its not the antenna or coax as it's been checked on a MFJ Analyser - Is there a way of getting rid of the weak signal cutting out? I bought the scanner from new - This issue is really annoying - Any ideas will be much appreciated
73 Robert United Kingdom

robert adam johnson

Its definitely an issue with the scanner - Bought it new a few years ago - Nobody has been inside - Close Call / Weather Alerts / are off - Priority Channels may have something to do with it Unsure
Thanks for all the replies - I'll get it fixed sometime
Rob United Kingdom..

[...]

maylandmanta <maylandmanta@...>

If you've got a computer program for scanner  try saving all your frequencies and then do a reset to clear everything.

John Svensson

There are some really good tutorial videos on YOU TUBE showing how to make favorites lists, lots of info there

Its definitely an issue with the scanner - Bought it new a few years ago - Nobody has been inside - Close Call / Weather Alerts / are off - Priority Channels may have something to do with it Unsure

Thanks for all the replies - I'll get it fixed sometime

Rob United Kingdom..

Get Outlook for Android

[...]

Carl Moon <carl.moon@...>

I have ran into problems with my sds100 cutting out in the middle of a conversation a lot, not to go to a close call. It would just mute and start again. I couldn’t find anything on how to fix it and it was annoying... I found that turning off Close Call is the fix to this problem. So if you are running into this problem, give it try and see if that helps out like it did for mine.
Carl

Joe M.

So it *was* going to Close Call.

Joe M.

On 4/29/2020 4:27 AM, Carl Moon via groups.io wrote:
I have ran into problems with my sds100 cutting out in the middle of a
conversation a lot, not to go to a close call. It would just mute and
start again. I couldn’t find anything on how to fix it and it was
annoying... I found that turning off Close Call is the fix to this
problem. So if you are running into this problem, give it try and see if
that helps out like it did for mine.
Carl

Carl Moon <carl.moon@...>

Hi Robert