Joe M.

Which model and where are you located?

Joe M.

On 10/31/2019 1:53 PM, Lisa Andre wrote:
Have had a scanner for a few years but have not used it much. I have moved and would like to get going on it again. What should I do first?

Thanks, Lisa.

Martin Dea

Buy a uniden sds200 easy to use all  programmed  with what you need

From: main@Uniden.groups.io <main@Uniden.groups.io> on behalf of Joe M. <mch@...>
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2019 10:57:03 AM
To: main@Uniden.groups.io <main@Uniden.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Uniden] Some Help...

Which model and where are you located?

Joe M.

On 10/31/2019 1:53 PM, Lisa Andre wrote:
> Have had a scanner for a few years but have not used it much.  I have moved and would like to get going on it again.  What should I do first?
>
> Thanks, Lisa.

Clint Wagner

396

On Oct 31, 2019, at 1:57 PM, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:

Which model and where are you located?

Joe M.

On 10/31/2019 1:53 PM, Lisa Andre wrote:
Have had a scanner for a few years but have not used it much. I have moved and would like to get going on it again. What should I do first?

Thanks, Lisa.

Clint Wagner

The 396.,, I’m in west palm beach

On Oct 31, 2019, at 1:57 PM, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:

Which model and where are you located?

Joe M.

On 10/31/2019 1:53 PM, Lisa Andre wrote:
Have had a scanner for a few years but have not used it much. I have moved and would like to get going on it again. What should I do first?

Thanks, Lisa.

Lisa Andre

I’ll have to hunt it down and find it… I’m in Western MA

On Oct 31, 2019, at 3:08 PM, Clint Wagner via Groups.Io <lytebolt01=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

The 396.,, I’m in west palm beach
On Oct 31, 2019, at 1:57 PM, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:

Which model and where are you located?

Joe M.

On 10/31/2019 1:53 PM, Lisa Andre wrote:
Have had a scanner for a few years but have not used it much. I have moved and would like to get going on it again. What should I do first?

Thanks, Lisa.

Lisa Andre

Found it. Uniden TrunkTracker III. BC246T

Lisa.

On Oct 31, 2019, at 1:57 PM, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:

Which model and where are you located?

Joe M.

On 10/31/2019 1:53 PM, Lisa Andre wrote:
Have had a scanner for a few years but have not used it much. I have moved and would like to get going on it again. What should I do first?

Thanks, Lisa.

Joe M.

Odds are pretty high you will not be able to hear a lot of what is out there. Any digital systems you will not be able to decode.

What did you monitor previously?

Joe

On 10/31/2019 4:06 PM, Lisa Andre wrote:
Found it. Uniden TrunkTracker III. BC246T

Lisa.
On Oct 31, 2019, at 1:57 PM, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:

Which model and where are you located?

Joe M.

On 10/31/2019 1:53 PM, Lisa Andre wrote:
Have had a scanner for a few years but have not used it much. I have moved and would like to get going on it again. What should I do first?

Thanks, Lisa.

Marty Toomajian

I have one of those that I no longer use.  It was relatively easy to program if I remember correctly.  I live in Rensselaer County not far from Western Massachusetts.  The county sheriff's department used a very annoying trunked system that the 246T and all others of its time could not handle.

It is currently listed by Radio Reference as Project 25 Phase 1, APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive.  Can newer radios track this?

My only currently used radio is an old Icom handheld that I tune to the county fire dispatch frequency.

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019, 4:33 PM Lisa Andre <landre1020@...> wrote:
Found it.  Uniden TrunkTracker III. BC246T

Lisa.
> On Oct 31, 2019, at 1:57 PM, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:
>
> Which model and where are you located?
>
> Joe M.
>
>> On 10/31/2019 1:53 PM, Lisa Andre wrote:
>> Have had a scanner for a few years but have not used it much.  I have moved and would like to get going on it again.  What should I do first?
>>
>> Thanks, Lisa.

Joe M.

As long as it is not encrypted, yes.
Just about any P25 scanner would work.
(except the BC250D)

Joe M.

<mailto:mch@...>> wrote:

> Which model and where are you located?
>
> Joe M.
>
>> On 10/31/2019 1:53 PM, Lisa Andre wrote:
>> Have had a scanner for a few years but have not used it much. I
have moved and would like to get going on it again. What should I
do first?

>> Thanks, Lisa.

robertwichert

If you can tell us where you live, Lisa, I can look up what's there on RadioReference.com or you can.

 There are plenty of areas that still have systems that the 246 can track.

I live in Sacramento and it works for me.

Robert Wichert PEng LEED AP
Office: +1 916 966 9060
Mobile: +1 916 712 4481

On 10/31/2019 1:06 PM, Lisa Andre wrote:
Found it. Uniden TrunkTracker III. BC246T

Lisa.
On Oct 31, 2019, at 1:57 PM, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:

Which model and where are you located?

Joe M.

On 10/31/2019 1:53 PM, Lisa Andre wrote:
Have had a scanner for a few years but have not used it much. I have moved and would like to get going on it again. What should I do first?

Thanks, Lisa.

Lisa Andre

Fire and police.

Lisa.

On Oct 31, 2019, at 4:41 PM, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:

Odds are pretty high you will not be able to hear a lot of what is out there. Any digital systems you will not be able to decode.

What did you monitor previously?

Joe

On 10/31/2019 4:06 PM, Lisa Andre wrote:
Found it. Uniden TrunkTracker III. BC246T

Lisa.
On Oct 31, 2019, at 1:57 PM, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:

Which model and where are you located?

Joe M.

On 10/31/2019 1:53 PM, Lisa Andre wrote:
Have had a scanner for a few years but have not used it much. I have moved and would like to get going on it again. What should I do first?

Thanks, Lisa.

Lisa Andre

Thank you, Robert. I’ll have a look.

Lisa.

On Oct 31, 2019, at 5:57 PM, robertwichert <robert@...> wrote:

If you can tell us where you live, Lisa, I can look up what's there on RadioReference.com or you can.

There are plenty of areas that still have systems that the 246 can track.

I live in Sacramento and it works for me.

Robert Wichert PEng LEED AP
Office: +1 916 966 9060
Mobile: +1 916 712 4481

On 10/31/2019 1:06 PM, Lisa Andre wrote:
Found it. Uniden TrunkTracker III. BC246T

Lisa.
On Oct 31, 2019, at 1:57 PM, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:

Which model and where are you located?

Joe M.

On 10/31/2019 1:53 PM, Lisa Andre wrote:
Have had a scanner for a few years but have not used it much. I have moved and would like to get going on it again. What should I do first?

Thanks, Lisa.

robertwichert

My area still has conventional simulcast with trunking and digital is “being implemented” so the 246 works fine.

Check out radio reference dot com to see what’s in your area.

Butel has software for programming the 246. If they are no longer selling it, I can send you a copy. If they are selling it, you should consider buying it. It helps a lot.

Keep asking questions. Scanners are helpers!

Robert P. Wichert P.Eng.
LEED AP BD&C
HERS I & HERS II
CEPE & CEA RES & NON-RES
+1 916 966 9060
FAX +1 916 966 9068

On Oct 31, 2019, at 3:56 PM, Lisa Andre <landre1020@...> wrote:

[...]

don robinson

I currently monitor P25 phase1 with my BCD396xlt  (trunk tracker IV). It works fine except when a talkgroup is encriypted. Richmond and Berkeley, Ca have a couple of encrypted talkgroups. Oakland does not.

On Thursday, October 31, 2019, 02:19:20 PM PDT, Marty Toomajian <mtoomaj@...> wrote:

I have one of those that I no longer use.  It was relatively easy to program if I remember correctly.  I live in Rensselaer County not far from Western Massachusetts.  The county sheriff's department used a very annoying trunked system that the 246T and all others of its time could not handle.

It is currently listed by Radio Reference as Project 25 Phase 1, APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive.  Can newer radios track this?

My only currently used radio is an old Icom handheld that I tune to the county fire dispatch frequency.

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019, 4:33 PM Lisa Andre <landre1020@...> wrote:
Found it.  Uniden TrunkTracker III. BC246T

Lisa.
> On Oct 31, 2019, at 1:57 PM, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:
>
> Which model and where are you located?
>
> Joe M.
>
>> On 10/31/2019 1:53 PM, Lisa Andre wrote:
>> Have had a scanner for a few years but have not used it much.  I have moved and would like to get going on it again.  What should I do first?
>>
>> Thanks, Lisa.

Martin Dea

I currently monitor P25 phase1 with my BCD396xlt  (trunk tracker IV). It works fine except when a talkgroup is encriypted. Richmond and Berkeley, Ca have a couple of encrypted talkgroups. Oakland does not.

On Thursday, October 31, 2019, 02:19:20 PM PDT, Marty Toomajian <mtoomaj@...> wrote:

I have one of those that I no longer use.  It was relatively easy to program if I remember correctly.  I live in Rensselaer County not far from Western Massachusetts.  The county sheriff's department used a very annoying trunked system that the 246T and all others of its time could not handle.

It is currently listed by Radio Reference as Project 25 Phase 1, APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive.  Can newer radios track this?

My only currently used radio is an old Icom handheld that I tune to the county fire dispatch frequency.

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019, 4:33 PM Lisa Andre <landre1020@...> wrote:
Found it.  Uniden TrunkTracker III. BC246T

Lisa.
> On Oct 31, 2019, at 1:57 PM, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:
>
> Which model and where are you located?
>
> Joe M.
>
>> On 10/31/2019 1:53 PM, Lisa Andre wrote:
>> Have had a scanner for a few years but have not used it much.  I have moved and would like to get going on it again.  What should I do first?
>>
>> Thanks, Lisa.

don robinson

Sadly, the 246 cannot monitor P25. You need a digital scanner.

Image

I currently monitor P25 phase1 with my BCD396xlt  (trunk tracker IV). It works fine except when a talkgroup is encriypted. Richmond and Berkeley, Ca have a couple of encrypted talkgroups. Oakland does not.

On Thursday, October 31, 2019, 02:19:20 PM PDT, Marty Toomajian <mtoomaj@...> wrote:

I have one of those that I no longer use.  It was relatively easy to program if I remember correctly.  I live in Rensselaer County not far from Western Massachusetts.  The county sheriff's department used a very annoying trunked system that the 246T and all others of its time could not handle.

It is currently listed by Radio Reference as Project 25 Phase 1, APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive.  Can newer radios track this?

My only currently used radio is an old Icom handheld that I tune to the county fire dispatch frequency.

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019, 4:33 PM Lisa Andre <landre1020@...> wrote:
Found it.  Uniden TrunkTracker III. BC246T

Lisa.
> On Oct 31, 2019, at 1:57 PM, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:
>
> Which model and where are you located?
>
> Joe M.
>
>> On 10/31/2019 1:53 PM, Lisa Andre wrote:
>> Have had a scanner for a few years but have not used it much.  I have moved and would like to get going on it again.  What should I do first?
>>
>> Thanks, Lisa.

Marty Toomajian

Thanks.  I knew that but was curious if one of two things happened.  If either Rensselaer county had moved on to a different system or if there were scanners made that could deal with the old system.  Nice to know the county can be monitored.  Thank you to all who answered.

I'm sorry I can't make the 18 hour trip to the next meeting. I'm sure it would interest me to see the latest radios. Nancini's was fun in 81.