Topics

show your mobile antenna array

ja moran <analon1@...>

here is the antenna array on my Ford F-150   To avoid drilling holes in the cab roof,  I created a platform or rail behind the cab that I punched 3/4 holes for each of the NMO mounts.    all the wires go over to the passenger side and go under the truck where the wires loop incase the truck bed needs to be raised for service, then enter the truck.  I put some tape over the wires where they enter below the rear passenger side back door.

I also ran an 10 gauge wire from the battery to a master switch then to a fuse block where every radio or accessory (dash cam, backup cam, front camera, PA amplifier,  radar detector  and several radios)

the PA amplifier is to let people know their vehicle needs service when their turn signals are not working.

JOHN

Rick NK7I

You want to be sure to fuse AT the battery (both positive and negative leads), THEN power the switch etc.  I use 50A self-resetting circuit breakers.  This protects the line used to power your gear, not the radios (use the appropriate fuse AT each radio).

You want to use both leads for maximum noise reduction (the battery is a huge capacitor) and lower IR^2 losses (not returning through the vehicle body).  However in a new vehicle, which may measure alternator load, you want the negative at the chassis ground point so it can be included in the load analysis of the vehicle computer.

You want BOTH leads protected from accidents; if the positive was shorted or consider what could happen if the vehicle ground lead disconnected; all the current (of the starter for example) would pass through your radios; definitely a 'not good' situation.

(You also want a larger extinguisher, if you're ever planning on putting out more than a cigarette or small campfire; they go quickly and change it at least annually, the road vibration packs the powder down hard making it ineffective.)

73,
Rick NK7I
North Idaho

On 12/31/2019 3:16 PM, ja moran via Groups.Io wrote:
here is the antenna array on my Ford F-150   To avoid drilling holes in the cab roof,  I created a platform or rail behind the cab that I punched 3/4 holes for each of the NMO mounts.    all the wires go over to the passenger side and go under the truck where the wires loop incase the truck bed needs to be raised for service, then enter the truck.  I put some tape over the wires where they enter below the rear passenger side back door.

I also ran an 10 gauge wire from the battery to a master switch then to a fuse block where every radio or accessory (dash cam, backup cam, front camera, PA amplifier,  radar detector  and several radios)

the PA amplifier is to let people know their vehicle needs service when their turn signals are not working.

JOHN

Donald Lambert <banjodhl@...>

Rick NK7I;

Sage advice.

don/k0kuz

ZUT

Thought for a long time: Snipped from article found in this link below:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/14/mobile-phones-cancer-inconvenient-truths
...One key player has not been swayed by all this wireless-friendly research: the insurance industry. In our reporting for this story, we found not a single insurance company that would sell a product-liability policy that covered mobile phone radiation. “Why would we want to do that?” one executive asked with a chuckle before pointing to more than two dozen lawsuits outstanding against wireless companies, demanding a total of $1.9bn in damages...

Any and all communications herein are the sole property of the email sender and originator. Any electronic intercept of this communication constitutes a violation of 50 U.S.C. § 1861(b)(2) of The Patriot Act. The use of this information in informal or formal proceedings, charges, investigations or indictments is strictly prohibited and rendered null and void if obtained without a warrant."
-------------------------------

On Tuesday, December 31, 2019, 4:06:56 PM PST, Rick Bates, NK7I <rick.nk7i@...> wrote:

[...]

If there is any wisdom to this; it comes from bad experiences and choices..

HNY,
Rick

On 12/31/2019 5:25 PM, Donald Lambert via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

azpowells

Amen. LOL . Repetition of a mistake when learned is in fact knowledge.

 Wayne

On 12/31/2019 7:48 PM, Rick Bates, NK7I wrote:

[...]

Joe M.

We learn more from our mistakes than anything else.

Joe M.

On 12/31/2019 9:48 PM, Rick Bates, NK7I wrote:
If there is any wisdom to this; it comes from bad experiences and choices..

HNY,
Rick

On 12/31/2019 5:25 PM, Donald Lambert via Groups.Io wrote:
Rick NK7I;

Sage advice.

don/k0kuz

ZUT

Rick NK7I

Apparently, that's how I learn the best... repeat as needed until behavior changes... LOL.

Rick NK7I

On 12/31/2019 7:22 PM, Joe M. wrote:
We learn more from our mistakes than anything else.

Joe M.

On 12/31/2019 9:48 PM, Rick Bates, NK7I wrote:
If there is any wisdom to this; it comes from bad experiences and choices..

HNY,
Rick

On 12/31/2019 5:25 PM, Donald Lambert via Groups.Io wrote:
Rick NK7I;

Sage advice.

don/k0kuz

ZUT

azpowells

If we fail to learn from them then these are truly just mistakes . :-(

On 12/31/2019 8:22 PM, Joe M. wrote:
We learn more from our mistakes than anything else.

Joe M.

On 12/31/2019 9:48 PM, Rick Bates, NK7I wrote:
If there is any wisdom to this; it comes from bad experiences and choices..

HNY,
Rick

On 12/31/2019 5:25 PM, Donald Lambert via Groups.Io wrote:
Rick NK7I;

Sage advice.

don/k0kuz

ZUT

azpowells

Yep.. LOL

On 12/31/2019 8:24 PM, Rick Bates, NK7I wrote:

Apparently, that's how I learn the best... repeat as needed until behavior changes... LOL.

Rick NK7I

On 12/31/2019 7:22 PM, Joe M. wrote:
We learn more from our mistakes than anything else.

Joe M.

On 12/31/2019 9:48 PM, Rick Bates, NK7I wrote:
If there is any wisdom to this; it comes from bad experiences and choices..

HNY,
Rick

On 12/31/2019 5:25 PM, Donald Lambert via Groups.Io wrote:
Rick NK7I;

Sage advice.

don/k0kuz

ZUT

Michael WA7SKG

A headache rack also makes a good antenna mounting solution on a pickup.

Michael WA7SKG

ja moran via Groups.Io wrote on 12/31/19 3:16 PM:

here is the antenna array on my Ford F-150   To avoid drilling holes in the cab roof,  I created a platform or rail behind the cab that I punched 3/4 holes for each of the NMO mounts.    all the wires go over to the passenger side and go under the truck where the wires loop incase the truck bed needs to be raised for service, then enter the truck.  I put some tape over the wires where they enter below the rear passenger side back door.
I also ran an 10 gauge wire from the battery to a master switch then to a fuse block where every radio or accessory (dash cam, backup cam, front camera, PA amplifier,  radar detector  and several radios)
the PA amplifier is to let people know their vehicle needs service when their turn signals are not working.
JOHN

RFI-EMI-GUY

"the PA amplifier is to let people know their vehicle needs service when their turn signals are not working."

You can sell them Blinker Fluid. January is "change your blinker fluid month"

Rich

many years ago my wife took her vehicle to a now closed Firestone shop for an oil change.  the mechanic noticed that her left rear blinker was not working and offered to do...and i’m not kidding...a “blinker system diagnostic” for only $29.95!  she opted to take a chance andcjust have the bulb replaced.  👍

‘73
Rich, N9DKO

"the PA amplifier is to let people know their vehicle needs service when their turn signals are not working."

You can sell them Blinker Fluid. January is "change your blinker fluid month"
_._,_._,_

Donald Lambert <banjodhl@...>

Oh my.

Smart woman she is.

don/k0kuz

ZUT

On Wednesday, January 1, 2020, 12:23:44 PM PST, Rich <rk911forums@...> wrote:

many years ago my wife took her vehicle to a now closed Firestone shop for an oil change.  the mechanic noticed that her left rear blinker was not working and offered to do...and i’m not kidding...a “blinker system diagnostic” for only $29.95!  she opted to take a chance andcjust have the bulb replaced.  👍

‘73
Rich, N9DKO

"the PA amplifier is to let people know their vehicle needs service when their turn signals are not working."

You can sell them Blinker Fluid. January is "change your blinker fluid month"

KA9QJG

Here are a view pictures of My Mobile installation   I will add a couple of Notes  The SDS-100  Fits into a  Mobile Mic holder  , Do not mount it close to the Vents the Heat and Cold will keep the battery from charging properly   Also I use a Motorola Amplified Speaker No hiss  because I can turn down the Viol on the SDS-100 Sounds great and loud

Wishing Everyone a Happy  , Safe and Healthy 2020  Happy Scanning

Don KA9QJG

Not sure the pics will show until I post  the 4 ant in the middle are for Direction Finding

PS  And Yes I should know better than to mount Equipment on the dash like  this in case of an accident. It is secured with very heavy industrial type Velcro..

Mark Lassman

Come on, this is a joke, right? You’re putting us on, yes? Installations like this would never work in CA. Can’t have all that stuff on top of the dash. No matter how it’s installed. Aren’t you worried about heat damage during the summer? What about all that stuff just being visible to anyone walking by? You’re not worried about theft? Personally, I prefer nice, clean installs and this looks anything but that. Too many visible wires and cables for my tastes. I tried Velcro when I had a TM-741 to attach the control head to my center console cover. But our summer heat kept causing the adhesive on the back of the Velcro strip to come loose. I got tired the head falling off all the time during the summer heat.

Seriously, though, if it works for you, then more power to you! You’re not married, are you? I can’t see any wife putting up with all of this. Where would she sit? Or, maybe that’s your plan!

It’s all good. We’re just having fun with you.

On Jan 1, 2020, at 7:58 PM, KA9QJG <KA9QJG@...> wrote:

Here are a view pictures of My Mobile installation   I will add a couple of Notes  The SDS-100  Fits into a  Mobile Mic holder  , Do not mount it close to the Vents the Heat and Cold will keep the battery from charging properly   Also I use a Motorola Amplified Speaker No hiss  because I can turn down the Viol on the SDS-100 Sounds great and loud

Wishing Everyone a Happy  , Safe and Healthy 2020  Happy Scanning
Don KA9QJG

Not sure the pics will show until I post  the 4 ant in the middle are for Direction Finding

PS  And Yes I should know better than to mount Equipment on the dash like  this in case of an accident. It is secured with very heavy industrial type Velcro..

<image001.png>

<image002.png>

<image003.png>

Donald Lambert <banjodhl@...>

KA(QJG;

Interesting setup..

don/k0kuz

ZUT

On Wednesday, January 1, 2020, 8:13:05 PM PST, KA9QJG <ka9qjg@...> wrote:

Here are a view pictures of My Mobile installation   I will add a couple of Notes  The SDS-100  Fits into a  Mobile Mic holder  , Do not mount it close to the Vents the Heat and Cold will keep the battery from charging properly   Also I use a Motorola Amplified Speaker No hiss  because I can turn down the Viol on the SDS-100 Sounds great and loud

Wishing Everyone a Happy  , Safe and Healthy 2020  Happy Scanning

Don KA9QJG

Not sure the pics will show until I post  the 4 ant in the middle are for Direction Finding

PS  And Yes I should know better than to mount Equipment on the dash like  this in case of an accident. It is secured with very heavy industrial type Velcro..

Tom

I think the joke is the pamphlet to the drivers right!   Look close “National Interoperability Guide.”

On Jan 2, 2020, at 1:48 AM, Donald Lambert via Groups.Io <banjodhl@...> wrote:

KA(QJG;

Interesting setup..

don/k0kuz

ZUT

[...]

Don Curtis <Don.Curtis@...>

Homeland Security no less.

Mark Johnson

Don lives in Indiana - checking his call is easy. He runs several amateur repeaters and appears to be very involved in emergency communications.

While his setup may not function well in California sunshine, it probably works well in Indiana.

The publication referenced as a "joke" can be purchased from the government printing office:

https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/national-interoperability-field-guide-version-161-june-2016

This version can also be downloaded:

It contains a fair amount of good radio information - no joke.

Nice setup, Don.

Mark Johnson

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 1:38 PM, Tom via Groups.Io
<tjgerard@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Mark  , Yes I know better  at least I  did not post the pictures below LOL   And Yes  as a Scanner listener  there is a Lot of Freqs and Info in that Directory

Happy Scanning

Laughter is the Best Medicine

Don KA9QJG

Image result for funny  ham radio vehicle antennas