Topics

SDS 100 Charging light.

John Harris

The manual says the charging light will stay on while you are charging the radio, until it gets fully charged. When I turn on the radio the charging light goes off even while using the provided charger. Is that normal?

Rick NK7I

Yes.  You can charge the internal batteries OR you can use that power supply to run the radio.

Charging batteries external to the scanner is an option.

Rick NK7I

On 6/7/2020 4:46 AM, John Harris wrote:
The manual says the charging light will stay on while you are charging the radio, until it gets fully charged. When I turn on the radio the charging light goes off even while using the provided charger. Is that normal?

Bob

Normal, yes. The battery does not charge in the radio when it is powered on. I have an external drop in charger and extra battery to help solve that problem. The radio gets too hot when you charge the battery inside it for my liking. Heat is no good for any electronics.
Bob

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 12:41 PM John Harris <jharris58@...> wrote:
The manual says the charging light will stay on while you are charging the radio, until it gets fully charged. When I turn on the radio the charging light goes off even while using the provided charger. Is that normal?

Dale

You need to turn on the "Charge while on" feature in the menu

On Sunday, June 7, 2020 John Harris <main@Uniden.groups.io> wrote:

The manual says the charging light will stay on while you are charging the radio, until it gets fully charged. When I turn on the radio the charging light goes off even while using the provided charger. Is that normal?

Joe M.

It is normal if you have the CHARGE WHILE ON setting disabled.

Joe M.

On 6/7/2020 7:46 AM, John Harris wrote:
The manual says the charging light will stay on while you are charging
the radio, until it gets fully charged. When I turn on the radio the
charging light goes off even while using the provided charger. Is that
normal?

Joe M.

Or you can enable the CHARGE WHILE ON
setting and do both at the same time.

Charging externally is always the preferred method.

Joe M.

On 6/7/2020 12:49 PM, Rick Bates, NK7I wrote:
Yes. You can charge the internal batteries OR you can use that power
supply to run the radio.

Charging batteries external to the scanner is an option.

Rick NK7I

On 6/7/2020 4:46 AM, John Harris wrote:
The manual says the charging light will stay on while you are charging
the radio, until it gets fully charged. When I turn on the radio the
charging light goes off even while using the provided charger. Is that
normal?

KA9QJG

My  Battery  does  charge when I use the Radio  either in the Car Charger or at home  it Does charge and turn green if you charge in the vehicle do not put it by a vent that will affect the charge circuit ..  I have mine on  the dash attached to a Two Way radio mic  holder  works  great ant is at dash level

Happy Scanning

Don KA9QJG

Everyone Please Stay Safe and Healthy

From: "Joe M." <mch@...>
Date: 6/7/20 12:03 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@Uniden.groups.io

Or you can enable the CHARGE WHILE ON
setting and do both at the same time.

Charging externally is always the preferred method.

Joe M.

On 6/7/2020 12:49 PM, Rick Bates, NK7I wrote:
> Yes.  You can charge the internal batteries OR you can use that power
> supply to run the radio.
>
> Charging batteries external to the scanner is an option.
>
> Rick NK7I
>

> On 6/7/2020 4:46 AM, John Harris wrote:
>> The manual says the charging light will stay on while you are charging
>> the radio, until it gets fully charged. When I turn on the radio the
>> charging light goes off even while using the provided charger. Is that
>> normal?

yes some were

Hi I have a ubcd325 p2 scanner works ok but at times I get a gargled sound from a frequency I not put in , I have never heard on the p2 as most is digital p25 when hear the fire frequency s I just load it from free scan for a small fee , I had for over a year and stil not be able to get a proper hang to I loved the old scanner I been scanning for over 20 years but digital is so different cheers Cornelius

Martin Dea

Questions  when a talk group number say encrypted  on type 2 Motorola  how does it know it? Or decode  it?

John Irvine

That’s the way mine works.

On Jun 7, 2020, at 9:41 AM, John Harris <jharris58@...> wrote:

The manual says the charging light will stay on while you are charging the radio, until it gets fully charged. When I turn on the radio the charging light goes off even while using the provided charger. Is that normal?

Joe M.

There are flags in the data that indicate it's encrypted.

Joe M.

On 6/7/2020 7:28 PM, Martin Dea wrote:
Questions when a talk group number say encrypted on type 2 Motorola
how does it know it? Or decode it?

Joe M.

If you want it to work differently, follow
the instructions given multiple times.

Joe M.

On 6/7/2020 5:51 PM, John Irvine wrote:
That’s the way mine works.

On Jun 7, 2020, at 9:41 AM, John Harris <jharris58@...> wrote:

The manual says the charging light will stay on while you are
charging the radio, until it gets fully charged. When I turn on the
radio the charging light goes off even while using the provided
charger. Is that normal?

Let me clarify that....

There are flags in the unencrypted data that indicate it's encrypted voice data. The data is still unencrypted. Only the voice data is encrypted.

That's how your scanner can tell what TG/RID it is, and that it's encrypted voice, Etc.

Joe M.

On 6/7/2020 9:01 PM, Joe M. wrote:
There are flags in the data that indicate it's encrypted.

Joe M.

On 6/7/2020 7:28 PM, Martin Dea wrote:
Questions when a talk group number say encrypted on type 2 Motorola
how does it know it? Or decode it?

Doug J

Sounds like Uniden has dropped the ball with their build quality, they need to lift their game.

They should go back to a separate DC plug for charging, even if it is 5V, which is much more robust. Have a USB to DC plug lead.

Then the USB socket on the scanner can be just for data and programming.

Regards,

Doug VK2XLJ

Charging externally is always the preferred method.

Joe M.

On 6/7/2020 12:49 PM, Rick Bates, NK7I wrote:
> Yes.  You can charge the internal batteries OR you can use that power
> supply to run the radio.
>
> Charging batteries external to the scanner is an option.
>
> Rick NK7I
>

> On 6/7/2020 4:46 AM, John Harris wrote:
>> The manual says the charging light will stay on while you are charging
>> the radio, until it gets fully charged. When I turn on the radio the
>> charging light goes off even while using the provided charger. Is that
>> normal?

Since you are 'down under' you need to review California's laws that made non-USB charging effectively illegal. Uniden even had to redesign the BC346XT to make it confirm and the revised model was the BC346XTC (C for California). In that case the redesign was to remove the charging capability (it was not possible to change the coaxial jack to USB).

Uniden didn't drop the ball - the ball was stolen by California.

Joe M.

On 6/8/2020 3:05 AM, Doug J wrote:
Sounds like Uniden has dropped the ball with their build quality, they
need to lift their game.

They should go back to a separate DC plug for charging, even if it is
5V, which is much more robust. Have a USB to DC plug lead.

Then the USB socket on the scanner can be just for data and programming.

Regards,

Doug VK2XLJ

Manlius

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 03:19 AM, Joe M. wrote:
“...you need to review California's laws that made non-USB charging effectively illegal.”
We interrupt this thread to bring you the following breaking story:

The California legislature has just voted to change the state name from California to The State of Narcissus!  In a separate motion, the State Motto has been changed to “We’re The Smartest People In The Room.”

We now return you to the regularly scheduled thread.

clive frazier

Joe:

Could you please explain further what the fruitcakes in California did? Does that make ANY scanner illegal in California? Only those scanners that can be charged while in a car? Mobile/base vs. hand held?

Some states have laws that prohibit scanners in a car unless you have a valid amateur radio license. Do you have a list of those states?

General comment on scanning. Had a week of the usual protests (riots) here in Orlando. Everything scrambled. Could not listen to anything. Unless Uniden comes up with a scanner that can decode scrambled voice, the only thing to listen to will be taxi cabs, but they are all going to Uber so that means cell phones. I think we have a dying hobby.

Clive, K9FWF

On 6/8/2020 3:05 AM, Doug J wrote:
> Sounds like Uniden has dropped the ball with their build quality, they
> need to lift their game.
>
> They should go back to a separate DC plug for charging, even if it is
> 5V, which is much more robust. Have a USB to DC plug lead.
>
> Then the USB socket on the scanner can be just for data and programming.
>
> Regards,
>
> Doug VK2XLJ

Jeff Daugherty

MN. Has a scanner law only mobile scanners can be by hams

Sent from my Sprint Phone.

On 6/8/2020 3:05 AM, Doug J wrote:
> Sounds like Uniden has dropped the ball with their build quality, they
> need to lift their game.
>
> They should go back to a separate DC plug for charging, even if it is
> 5V, which is much more robust. Have a USB to DC plug lead.
>
> Then the USB socket on the scanner can be just for data and programming.
>
> Regards,
>
> Doug VK2XLJ

Joe M.

The CEC laws only affect charging (of ANY devices). They no not regulate scanners specifically at all, but scanners are subject to the regulations that effectively ban all non-USB charging. More specifically, they cite that all new equipment designs must not charge from external sources except via USB. Likely the only reason USB is allowed is due to cellphones or they would have banned that, too.

It also only affects home use AFAIK.

Yes, some states have scanner restrictions
and some have exemptions for hams.

Here is a good site for scanner laws:
<<http://www.fordyce.org/scanning/scanning_info/scanlaws.htm>>

BTW, Uber has licensed frequencies in some areas.

Joe M.