Topics

Recording

Kev Myles

What can I use to record scanner activity on my BCD996P2 besides using my computer? Thanks!

Joe M.

On 6/30/2020 4:18 PM, Kev Myles via groups.io wrote:
What can I use to record scanner activity on my BCD996P2 besides using
my computer? Thanks!

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
Virus-free. www.avg.com
<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Jim Walls

On 06/30/2020 13:18, Kev Myles via groups.io wrote:
What can I use to record scanner activity on my BCD996P2 besides using my computer? Thanks!
There are lots of portable audio recorders that will take a line level input.  Sort of a mp3 player in reverse.

--
-------------------------------------
Jim Walls - K6CCC
jim@...
Ofc: 818-548-4804
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/k6ccc/
AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395

Joe M.

Sorry for that. Hit SEND too soon.

Anything that records and has a line input can be used.

I guess technically if it only has a
mic you can use that to record, too.

Joe M.

On 6/30/2020 4:37 PM, Joe M. wrote:

On 6/30/2020 4:18 PM, Kev Myles via groups.io wrote:
my computer? Thanks!

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Walter Rymarczyk

If you’ve got $81, I like the Sangean DAR-101, it’s on Amazon and records to MP3 files on a thumbnail drive.  It has both mic and line level inputs.  It will only use SD thumbnail cards though, not HC or XC.
Walt

Walter Rymarczyk
2650 N Lakeview Ave #1407
Chicago, IL 60614

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 3:47 PM -0500, "Joe M." <mch@...> wrote:

Joe M.

>
>
> On 6/30/2020 4:18 PM, Kev Myles via groups.io wrote:
>> What can I use to record scanner activity on my BCD996P2 besides using
>> my computer? Thanks!
>>
>>
>> 
>>
>>     Virus-free. www.avg.com
>> 
>>
>>
>>
>> <#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
>
> 
>
>

don robinson

I would use a digital voice recorder set on VOX, patched to the scanner's headphone output with an attenuating TRS cord  (to stop amplifier hiss). Olympus makes a few models that can run all day like that on one set of batteries. You don't get the benefit of visual read out, but you can save hours of audio to review later.

On Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 01:18:44 PM PDT, Kev Myles via groups.io <wkevinm@...> wrote:

Joe M.

Why would you use the headphone output when a LINE OUT is available?
(assuming the unit is not mounted in a console)

Joe M.

On 6/30/2020 7:21 PM, don robinson via groups.io wrote:
I would use a digital voice recorder set on VOX, patched to the
scanner's headphone output with an attenuating TRS cord (to stop
amplifier hiss). Olympus makes a few models that can run all day like
that on one set of batteries. You don't get the benefit of visual read
out, but you can save hours of audio to review later.

On Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 01:18:44 PM PDT, Kev Myles via groups.io
<wkevinm=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:

my computer? Thanks!

Randy Hall

Hi

Freescan is good for programming your scanner and it will record a clip everytime it stops on a signal. It does require a Win PC running with a serial control cable (same as used for programming) and an audio connection to the PC. It works great, and it is FREE. 

I usually leave it running 24/7 and every few days I clear out the audio files. Sure is handy to listen to what happened when the sirens are heard or someone says what happened  yesterday afternoon?

Randy, K7AGE

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 2:18 PM Walter Rymarczyk via groups.io <kc9syx=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
If you’ve got $81, I like the Sangean DAR-101, it’s on Amazon and records to MP3 files on a thumbnail drive.  It has both mic and line level inputs.  It will only use SD thumbnail cards though, not HC or XC.
Walt

Walter Rymarczyk
Chicago, IL 60614

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 3:47 PM -0500, "Joe M." <mch@...> wrote:

Joe M.

>
>
> On 6/30/2020 4:18 PM, Kev Myles via groups.io wrote:
>> What can I use to record scanner activity on my BCD996P2 besides using
>> my computer? Thanks!
>>
>>
>> 
>>
>>     Virus-free. www.avg.com
>> 
>>
>>
>>
>> <#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
>
> 
>
>

KA9QJG

Can  Anyone recommend a  recorder  that actually  records the date and time  and on playback it actually  shows  that I  have been recording someone jamming a PD freq  and I may  have to use that info in the investigation

Thanks

Everyone Please Stay Safe and Healthy

Don KA9QJG

From: main@Uniden.groups.io [mailto:main@Uniden.groups.io] On Behalf Of don robinson via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 6:21 PM
To: main@uniden.groups.io; main@Uniden.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Uniden] Recording

I would use a digital voice recorder set on VOX, patched to the scanner's headphone output with an attenuating TRS cord  (to stop amplifier hiss). Olympus makes a few models that can run all day like that on one set of batteries. You don't get the benefit of visual read out, but you can save hours of audio to review later.

On Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 01:18:44 PM PDT, Kev Myles via groups.io <wkevinm@...> wrote:

Joe M.

Best tool for that job is an IQ recording from
an SDR. Enable the timestamps on the waterfall.

That will also allow much more detailed analysis of the signal later.

Joe M.

On 6/30/2020 8:02 PM, KA9QJG wrote:
Can Anyone recommend a recorder that actually records the date and
time and on playback it actually shows that I have been recording
someone jamming a PD freq and I may have to use that info in the
investigation

Thanks

Don KA9QJG

*From:*main@Uniden.groups.io [mailto:main@Uniden.groups.io] *On Behalf
Of *don robinson via groups.io
*Sent:* Tuesday, June 30, 2020 6:21 PM
*To:* main@uniden.groups.io; main@Uniden.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [Uniden] Recording

I would use a digital voice recorder set on VOX, patched to the
scanner's headphone output with an attenuating TRS cord (to stop
amplifier hiss). Olympus makes a few models that can run all day like
that on one set of batteries. You don't get the benefit of visual read
out, but you can save hours of audio to review later.

On Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 01:18:44 PM PDT, Kev Myles via groups.io
<wkevinm=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:

my computer? Thanks!

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Walter Rymarczyk

The Sangean DAR-101 records the starting time and date in the file name.  It won’t record the time for every hit, though.
Walt

Walter Rymarczyk
Chicago, IL 60614

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 7:03 PM -0500, "KA9QJG" <KA9QJG@...> wrote:

Can  Anyone recommend a  recorder  that actually  records the date and time  and on playback it actually  shows  that I  have been recording someone jamming a PD freq  and I may  have to use that info in the investigation

Thanks

Don KA9QJG

From: main@Uniden.groups.io [mailto:main@Uniden.groups.io] On Behalf Of don robinson via groups.io

don robinson

. You might have guessed I don't know the nomenclature of that particular scanner. Line out might work fine as long as you can cool it enough to not trip VOX except during voice output. Normal hiss will trip VOX and make it record non-stop instead of just for content. When I did that with  a 245, 246, Pro38, 396 I needed to use the attenuated patch cord to eliminate hiss. The Olympus WS 321M will record in wave format and download directly through its USB port. You can convert that to MP3 with Nero Wave Editor if you need to save file space. Just another way to record from the scanner. 

On Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 04:23:17 PM PDT, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:

Why would you use the headphone output when a LINE OUT is available?
(assuming the unit is not mounted in a console)

Joe M.

On 6/30/2020 7:21 PM, don robinson via groups.io wrote:
> I would use a digital voice recorder set on VOX, patched to the
> scanner's headphone output with an attenuating TRS cord  (to stop
> amplifier hiss). Olympus makes a few models that can run all day like
> that on one set of batteries. You don't get the benefit of visual read
> out, but you can save hours of audio to review later.
>
> On Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 01:18:44 PM PDT, Kev Myles via groups.io
> <wkevinm=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
>
>
> What can I use to record scanner activity on my BCD996P2 besides using
> my computer? Thanks!

Glenn "Butch" Kanvick

The Omricon recorders do that as they record. But then you have to purchase the Time display to find the time and date stamp. These recorders us regular audio recording cassette tapes. 

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 6:03 PM KA9QJG <KA9QJG@...> wrote:

Thanks

Don KA9QJG

On Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 01:18:44 PM PDT, Kev Myles via groups.io <wkevinm=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:

--
Glenn (Butch) Kanvick
KE7FEL/R
1-406-655-1232

Kev Myles

I was looking at a couple recording devices on the Walmart
Site yesterday. Olympus was one of the brands there, but the Walmart store here doesn’t have any in stock. They don’t know if they will be getting any more in. I’ll check with the Source today. There is a record jack on the back and the headphone jack on the front. I should be able to use either one I assume. Thanks all for your feedback.

On Jun 30, 2020, at 11:05 PM, Glenn &quot;Butch&quot; Kanvick <hotlrv1@...> wrote:

The Omricon recorders do that as they record. But then you have to purchase the Time display to find the time and date stamp. These recorders us regular audio recording cassette tapes. 

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 6:03 PM KA9QJG <KA9QJG@...> wrote:

Thanks

Don KA9QJG

On Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 01:18:44 PM PDT, Kev Myles via groups.io <wkevinm=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:

--
Glenn (Butch) Kanvick
KE7FEL/R
1-406-655-1232

RFI-EMI-GUY

I have an Olympus DS-2, an older model.It was pricey but very capable. If you can buy one used I recommend it. The newer versions likely have much longer recording times. But the product is excellent and has many features.

David O'Banion

I bought a Sangean DAR-101 specifically to record from my BCT15X. 
Works beautifully.
Using the 192 kHz mode (best quality available with the DAR-101) is Highly recommended.  

On Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 01:18:46 PM PDT, Kev Myles via groups.io <wkevinm@...> wrote:

Michael WA7SKG

I also have been looking for a good recorder for my BCT15X. Glad this works for you. Some questions, please.

How much recording time on a 32GB at 192kHz?

Does it have an autostart/VOX mode to just record when it hears audio or is it just continuous record?

Are the recordings timestamped?

How is it powered? I want to use it mobile.

Is there a downloadable manual? I went to the Sangean site, but get a "404 file not found" error for the file.

I understand the BCT15X has a programming feature to select which channels output audio to the record jack, but I haven't found how to program that. Any advice?

Thanks,
Michael

David O'Banion via groups.io wrote on 7/2/20 12:07 AM:

I bought a Sangean DAR-101 specifically to record from my BCT15X.
Works beautifully.
Using the 192 kHz mode (best quality available with the DAR-101) is Highly recommended.

Walter Rymarczyk

The Sangean DAR-101 does have voice activated recording.  The recordings are time and date stamped, but I misspoke.  The time and date of recording are not in the file name but are shown on the recorder’s digital display on playback.  It can be battery powered (4 AA batteries) but also comes with an AC power supply.  The power supply is 9v.  It can charge NiMH batteries in the recorder with the AC power supply.  Max recording time has never been an issue with me with 32GB.  It depends on the recording quality, which can be 68, 128, or 192 kbps.  192 kbps is probably overkill for scanner recording.

One nuisance is that the SD card has to be formatted with ext4 file system, as used by Linux.  It must be formatted outside the recorder.  No problem if you use a Linux computer.  If you use Windows it can be done but is more work.

I have a pdf of the manual, but it’s not very useful.  If you want a copy, email me through my website, analogweather.com.
Walt

Walter Rymarczyk
Chicago, IL 60614

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 11:25 AM -0500, "Michael WA7SKG" <wa7skg@...> wrote:

I also have been looking for a good recorder for my BCT15X. Glad this 
works for you. Some questions, please.

How much recording time on a 32GB at 192kHz?

Does it have an autostart/VOX mode to just record when it hears audio or 
is it just continuous record?

Are the recordings timestamped?

How is it powered? I want to use it mobile.

Is there a downloadable manual? I went to the Sangean site, but get a 
"404  file not found" error for the file.

I understand the BCT15X has a programming feature to select which 
channels output audio to the record jack, but I haven't found how to 
program that. Any advice?

Thanks,
Michael

David O'Banion via groups.io wrote on 7/2/20 12:07 AM:
> I bought a Sangean DAR-101 specifically to record from my BCT15X.
> Works beautifully.
> Using the 192 kHz mode (best quality available with the DAR-101) is 
> Highly recommended.
> 

Ray Dunham

Why not just use a Uniden bc436hp scanner. I record my local police and fire 24 hours a day. It shows the time and date of each recording, is easy to transfer to PC, and once you have the scanner, is free.

N3AL

I agree, works great and you can see all the info on system, department, etc. when playing back on the 436.