PL Frequency?

Tim Ferguson

Is there a way to determine a local fire department’s PL using the SDS100 or a 436/536HP? None is listed in the Radio Reference database for the Centralia (IL) FPD frequency of 154.430 and their Chief, who knows the PL, is fighting cancer and unavailable.

Thanks,
Tim

Joe M.

Set the audio for analog with CTCSS/DCS set to SEARCH.

Joe M.

On 6/3/2022 6:48 PM, Tim Ferguson wrote:
Is there a way to determine a local fire department’s PL using the SDS100 or a 436/536HP? None is listed in the Radio Reference database for the Centralia (IL) FPD frequency of 154.430 and their Chief, who knows the PL, is fighting cancer and unavailable.

Thanks,
Tim

KA9QJG

If I recall on The SDS-100 It Shows the PL,, Everyone does Not use a Pl If it Simplex Direct But if they do and you are close enough you can see it on the Repeater input UHF And UHF T 700/800 Band is a known offset, But VHF Is all over the place it's fun to find the so called Secret Freqs we all know there is no such thing as Secret Freqs anymore LOL When using SDR and Scanner Close Call

Everyone Stay Safe and Healthy and Happy Responsible Scanning while we can still hear it a lot are going to Encryption Including Chicago .. Scanner Listeners have save Lives PD And Public I know I did E-911 Communications and Law Enforcement back many years ago and in Communications US Navy , Scanner listeners have called in Info that have saved lives

One time when the Officer was getting shot at and his Motorola Radio Battery was almost dead , The Dispatcher did not her him call for help But the scanner listener a block away did and called it in ...and may of saved his life and others too . I have Been in this Wonderful Communication Hobby AKA Lifestyle over 50 yrs Crystals , Tubes and Dynamotors we have all come a long way

Don KA9QJG

Is there a way to determine a local fire department’s PL using the SDS100 or a 436/536HP? None is listed in the Radio Reference database for the Centralia (IL) FPD frequency of 154.430 and their Chief, who knows the PL, is fighting cancer and unavailable.

Thanks,
Tim

Dewey

Program the "Audio Type" as analog and program the "CTCSS/DCS" as search, and the PL should flash when a frequency is being received. If you don't get a CTCSS/DCS (PL) display, change the "Audio Type" to digital and tic the "Digital Code Search" radio button.

Dewey

Is there a way to determine a local fire department’s PL using the SDS100 or a 436/536HP? None is listed in the Radio Reference database for the Centralia (IL) FPD frequency of 154.430 and their Chief, who knows the PL, is fighting cancer and unavailable.

Thanks,
Tim

Jeff Kenyon

Hi Tim, the next time your fire department transmits check the lower right hand corner of the 436 display, and if they are using a PL or whatever it will be there blinking. From there, you can press enter and then save said PL. I believe that on the SDS100 the PL tones appear in the same location.

On Jun 3, 2022, at 8:54 PM, Tim Ferguson <tferg53@...> wrote:

Is there a way to determine a local fire department’s PL using the SDS100 or a 436/536HP? None is listed in the Radio Reference database for the Centralia (IL) FPD frequency of 154.430 and their Chief, who knows the PL, is fighting cancer and unavailable.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim Ferguson

Thank you, I will give a shot. Guess it’s best to do this around test time when I know there will be a broadcast?

T.L.F.

On Jun 3, 2022, at 8:02 PM, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:

Set the audio for analog with CTCSS/DCS set to SEARCH.

Joe M.

On 6/3/2022 6:48 PM, Tim Ferguson wrote:
Is there a way to determine a local fire department’s PL using the SDS100 or a 436/536HP? None is listed in the Radio Reference database for the Centralia (IL) FPD frequency of 154.430 and their Chief, who knows the PL, is fighting cancer and unavailable.

Thanks,
Tim

Joe M.

Yep. If this is a paging frequency, there may not be any CTCSS/CDCSS.

Joe M.

On 6/3/2022 9:52 PM, Tim Ferguson wrote:
Thank you, I will give a shot. Guess it’s best to do this around test time when I know there will be a broadcast?

T.L.F.

On Jun 3, 2022, at 8:02 PM, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:

Set the audio for analog with CTCSS/DCS set to SEARCH.

Joe M.

On 6/3/2022 6:48 PM, Tim Ferguson wrote:
Is there a way to determine a local fire department’s PL using the SDS100 or a 436/536HP? None is listed in the Radio Reference database for the Centralia (IL) FPD frequency of 154.430 and their Chief, who knows the PL, is fighting cancer and unavailable.

Thanks,
Tim

Gerry Santo

I had a situation where the scanner came in handy when I was a cop on the graveyard shift. I heard a sergeant from the department next to ours call in that he was going to do a bar check at a dive right on the city border. I "drifted" in that direction, because the bar had a not-so-good reputation. Anyway, sure enough, the sergeant calls for assistance. I got there in a minute and helped him wrestle a large, drunk biker-type into cuffs. 5 minutes later, the first of his guys showed up.
And scanners are a problem? I call BS on that.

Jim Walls

On 2022-06-05 06:33, Gerry Santo via groups.io wrote:
I had a situation where the scanner came in handy when I was a cop on the graveyard shift. I heard a sergeant from the department next to ours call in that he was going to do a bar check at a dive right on the city border. I "drifted" in that direction, because the bar had a not-so-good reputation. Anyway, sure enough, the sergeant calls for assistance. I got there in a minute and helped him wrestle a large, drunk biker-type into cuffs. 5 minutes later, the first of his guys showed up.
And scanners are a problem? I call BS on that.
Our department has two mobile radios in each patrol car - specifically for that reason.  That of course in addition to the portable on the officer's hip.

-------------------------------------
Jim Walls - K6CCC
jim@...
Ofc: 818-548-4804
AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395

Joe M.

I try to not make religious or political
commentary, but this seems dead on target:

When Cain killed Able, God did not blame the rock.

This is the case with so many aspects of controversy
today. Personal responsibility seems to be something
some people believe is impossible. Why is that?

(rhetorical question - no need for a thread on it)

Scanners are tools. Like any tool, they can be abused.

Joe M.

On 6/5/2022 9:33 AM, Gerry Santo via groups.io wrote:
I had a situation where the scanner came in handy when I was a cop on
the graveyard shift. I heard a sergeant from the department next to ours
call in that he was going to do a bar check at a dive right on the city
border. I "drifted" in that direction, because the bar had a not-so-good
reputation. Anyway, sure enough, the sergeant calls for assistance. I
got there in a minute and helped him wrestle a large, drunk biker-type
into cuffs. 5 minutes later, the first of his guys showed up.
And scanners are a problem? I call BS on that.

Randy Michael

Gerry Santo, I agree.  I remember some number of years ago  a lot of Hillsborough County Sheriff deputies would carry scanners in their cars so they could lessen in on the other cities' police Departments and/or the fire departments not anymore  with the agencies restricting what an officer / Deputy can put in there cars & agencies going to encryption
them telling the public it's for officer safety is total BS

   Randy Michael
        KE 4 CRC
   DMR  ID # 3112283
Sky warn # POL 309A