Topics

P25 for Cheap

Charlie Primero <charlieprime@...>

On 11/2/2019 9:42 AM, don robinson via Groups.Io wrote:
Sadly, the 246 cannot monitor P25. You need a digital scanner.

It is possible for monitor P25 for cheap using your computer.

Buy one of these RTL-SDR radio receivers for $25 that is USB:  https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/

Download the free SDRSharp sofware:  https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/sdrsharp/

Add this crude scanner plug-in to that software:  http://www.freqmgrsuite.com/

Pipe the audio through the free DSD+ decoding software: https://www.dsdplus.com/

This kludge is finicky and slow, but it's not $600 like a Uniden SDS-100. :-)  It works for my semi-rural area where there are only three P25 public service frequencies and one DMR ham repeater to monitor.  My 246 handles the rest like champ.

Michael Champion Sr

SDRAngel will decode P25 natively.  It does not trunk though.

-Michael

On 11/2/2019 9:42 AM, don robinson via Groups.Io wrote:

Sadly, the 246 cannot monitor P25. You need a digital scanner.

It is possible for monitor P25 for cheap using your computer.

Buy one of these RTL-SDR radio receivers for $25 that is USB:  https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/

Download the free SDRSharp sofware:  https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/sdrsharp/

Add this crude scanner plug-in to that software:  http://www.freqmgrsuite.com/

Pipe the audio through the free DSD+ decoding software: https://www.dsdplus.com/

This kludge is finicky and slow, but it's not $600 like a Uniden SDS-100. :-)  It works for my semi-rural area where there are only three P25 public service frequencies and one DMR ham repeater to monitor.  My 246 handles the rest like champ.

Marty Toomajian

Thanks!  I doubt I will do this but maybe.....

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 10:24 AM Charlie Primero <charlieprime@...> wrote:
On 11/2/2019 9:42 AM, don robinson via Groups.Io wrote:
Sadly, the 246 cannot monitor P25. You need a digital scanner.

It is possible for monitor P25 for cheap using your computer.

Buy one of these RTL-SDR radio receivers for $25 that is USB:  https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/

Download the free SDRSharp sofware:  https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/sdrsharp/

Add this crude scanner plug-in to that software:  http://www.freqmgrsuite.com/

Pipe the audio through the free DSD+ decoding software: https://www.dsdplus.com/

This kludge is finicky and slow, but it's not $600 like a Uniden SDS-100. :-)  It works for my semi-rural area where there are only three P25 public service frequencies and one DMR ham repeater to monitor.  My 246 handles the rest like champ.

DANIEL KAMM

Try Broadcastify.

Daniel Kamm, P.E.

www.fda-consultant.com

+1-239-417-1727

SDRAngel will decode P25 natively.  It does not trunk though.

-Michael

On 11/2/2019 9:42 AM, don robinson via Groups.Io wrote:

Sadly, the 246 cannot monitor P25. You need a digital scanner.

It is possible for monitor P25 for cheap using your computer.

Buy one of these RTL-SDR radio receivers for $25 that is USB:  https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/

Download the free SDRSharp sofware:  https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/sdrsharp/

Add this crude scanner plug-in to that software:  http://www.freqmgrsuite.com/

Pipe the audio through the free DSD+ decoding software: https://www.dsdplus.com/

This kludge is finicky and slow, but it's not $600 like a Uniden SDS-100. :-)  It works for my semi-rural area where there are only three P25 public service frequencies and one DMR ham repeater to monitor.  My 246 handles the rest like champ.

randy.schaefer

B R O A D C A S T I F Y  !

On Nov 5, 2019, at 10:34, Marty Toomajian <mtoomaj@...> wrote:

[...]

Robert A Klamp

Is killing our hobby stream by stream!

[...]

Jim Walls

That works - if AND ONLY IF, someone is streaming the channels or talkgroups that you want to listen to. Although I have an app on my phones for streaming from broadcastify, I seldom use it because for the most part, I can't get what I want to listen to without hearing a whole bunch of other channels that I don't care about.

Jim
K6CCC

SDRAngel will decode P25 natively. It does not trunk though.

-Michael

On 11/2/2019 9:42 AM, don robinson via Groups.Io wrote:

Sadly, the 246 cannot monitor P25. You need a digital scanner.

It is possible for monitor P25 for cheap using your computer.

Buy one of these RTL-SDR radio receivers for $25 that is USB: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/

Download the free SDRSharp sofware: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/sdrsharp/

Add this crude scanner plug-in to that software: http://www.freqmgrsuite.com/

Pipe the audio through the free DSD+ decoding software: https://www.dsdplus.com/

This kludge is finicky and slow, but it's not $600 like a Uniden SDS-100. :-) It works for my semi-rural area where there are only three P25 public service frequencies and one DMR ham repeater to monitor. My 246 handles the rest like champ.

Joe M.

That and you have no control over holding
a channel if you want to monitor something.

My recommendation would be to purchase a used BCD396T or XT.
It won't get you P25 Phase II, but it will work for P25 Phase I.

Joe M.

On 11/5/2019 11:18 AM, Jim Walls wrote:
[...]

The agency in question had one person screaming for a while on the Internet.  Now none.  But, thanks for the suggestion.

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019, 11:01 AM DANIEL KAMM <daniel.kamm@...> wrote:

Try Broadcastify.

Daniel Kamm, P.E.

www.fda-consultant.com

+1-239-417-1727

[...]

Streaming not screaming.Thought that is possible too.

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 11:26 AM Marty Toomajian <mtoomaj@...> wrote:
[...]

Greg Weigold

Does anyone have an SDR that will do trunking?

Thanks
Greg

On Tuesday, November 5, 2019, 12:07:27 PM EST, Marty Toomajian <mtoomaj@...> wrote:

[...]

Evan Platt

If I'm not mistaken, all SDR's will do trunking. You need two SDR
(hardwares) to do trunking. One of them will basically scan the
control channels, one will scan the voice channels, and then you run
two copies of the SDR software. And then obviously two antennas...
I've never done it myself....

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 11:12 AM Greg Weigold via Groups.Io
<gregweigold=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Pretty much any SDR will do trunking since that is a function of the software used on the PC. Generally you need two of them for Trunking.

If you are looking for a self-contained SDR that trunks,
there are the SDS100/SDS200 units from Uniden.

Joe M.

<mailto:mtoomaj@...>> wrote:

The agency in question had one person screaming for a while on the
Internet. Now none. But, thanks for the suggestion.

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019, 11:01 AM DANIEL KAMM <daniel.kamm@...
<mailto:daniel.kamm@...>> wrote:

Try Broadcastify.____

__ __

*Daniel Kamm, P.E.____*

*www.fda-consultant.com <http://www.fda-consultant.com/>____*

*+1-239-417-1727____*

__ __

Sadly, the 246 cannot monitor P25. You need a digital
scanner.____

It is possible for monitor P25 for cheap using your computer.____

Buy one of these RTL-SDR radio receivers for $25 that is USB:
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/____

Download the free SDRSharp sofware:
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/sdrsharp/____

Add this crude scanner plug-in to that software:
http://www.freqmgrsuite.com/____

Pipe the audio through the free DSD+ decoding software:
https://www.dsdplus.com/____

This kludge is finicky and slow, but it's not $600 like a Uniden
SDS-100. :-) It works for my semi-rural area where there are
only three P25 public service frequencies and one DMR ham
repeater to monitor. My 246 handles the rest like champ.____

__

The best way I've seen is to use DSD to control the SDR AND decode the control channel, then a second copy to control and decode the voice channels. This is done using FMPA (in my case for the Airspy units). Route the voice receiver to the speaker and you're done. I can get into more detail, but it's sort of OT for this list.

For a cheap solution, I still recommend the used scanner a few models old. If it's a portable unit that has obvious advantages over the SDR solution (SDS100 aside which is the best of both worlds).

Joe M.

On 11/5/2019 2:15 PM, Evan Platt wrote:
[...]

Dewey

I believe that any SDR will do trunking of frequencies that are in it's range.  It's not a matter of the SDR, but the software used with the SDR... SDRTrunk, Unitrunker, Trunk88, etc.

Dewey

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 2:12 PM Greg Weigold via Groups.Io <gregweigold=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Mike Lussier

Phase 1 yes with SDR and software. Phase 2 no so easily done. I have only heard of it being successfully done.

Sent from iPhone plus. Misspelling are due to the auto correction methods used by Apple.

Duane Anderson

Actually, with the latest version of DSD+ Fast Lane, you only need one dongle to do trunking.  It's really quite easy to set up.   The DSD+ Fast Lane package has all the software you need.

I use the RTL-SDR.COM dongle.  Amazon has it for $29.95 with antenna, mounts etc.
https://www.amazon.com/RTL-SDR-Blog-RTL2832U-Software-Defined/dp/B011HVUEME?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

On 11/05/2019 11:15 AM, Evan Platt wrote:
[...]

Ah yes... I misspoke myself.  Should have realized that a software package would do what I'm looking for.

Now if we could find software to decrypt... or is there?

:)

Greg

On Tuesday, November 5, 2019, 02:23:59 PM EST, Dewey <dewey3@...> wrote:

[...]

Decrypt? No.

Joe M.

<mtoomaj@... <mailto:mtoomaj@...>> wrote:

Streaming not screaming.Thought that is possible too.

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 11:26 AM Marty Toomajian
<mtoomaj@... <mailto:mtoomaj@...>> wrote:

The agency in question had one person screaming for a while on
the Internet. Now none. But, thanks for the suggestion.

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019, 11:01 AM DANIEL KAMM <daniel.kamm@...
<mailto:daniel.kamm@...>> wrote:

Try Broadcastify.____

__ __

[...]

I don't think anyone is touching encryption.

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 11:43 AM Greg Weigold via Groups.Io