Topics

Need P25 Scanner

Michael WA7SKG

I have a BCT15X scanner in my truck that I love. However, some of the agencies I listen to have moved to P25 digital. I have a custom console holding my radios and would ideally like something that will drop right in without surgery or replacing an expensive faceplate. I was looking at the BCD996P2. By all the pictures, it looks almost identical to the BCT15X, however looking at the various advertisements, the dimensions listed vary from dealer to dealer for both radios.

So, does anybody have both of these radios and can compare dimensions for me? I honestly find it hard to believe the radios could look so identical and not be the same size as they look like they use the same case. It sure would be nice if manufacturers could standardize the sizes of these things.

As a side note, I use FreeScan to program my BCT15X. Does the same program work with the BCD996P2? If it does, can I take my file for the BCT15X and add the P25 stuff I need to the existing information to program the BCD996P2? That would definitely save me hours of programming.

Thanks,
Michael

Bill Nolan

I believe both your older scanner and the 996P2 are what is called a single DIN radio... DIN is an automotive standard where one AM/FM stereo radio fits the sleeve.A double DIN would be the larger displays usually intigrated with other optional features. People have removed their double DIN radios and installed a single DIN stereo along with a 996P2. There’s a nice website called Crutchfield which sells stereos for cars among other things and you should be able to bounce around in their website and see what DIN is all about.
Hope this helps...

Bill

On Nov 13, 2019, at 12:28 PM, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:
[...]

Joe M.

The BCD996P2 is the exact same size as the BCT15X.

It works with FreeScan as long as you are using the latest beta version.

Joe M.

On 11/13/2019 10:54 AM, Michael WA7SKG wrote:
[...]

DupyRail

Maybe check with Rich at Scanner Master.

Andy

--
"Where the Old Soo crossed the New Soo"
Duplainville, Wisconsin

Web Page: www.dupyrail.com

freddy frank

Michael, I have both radios. The BCT15X was in my truck and I replaced it with the 996P2 when a few agencies switched to digital. I'll measure both radios and let you know tomorrow.

Freddy

On Nov 13, 2019, at 1:04 PM, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael, Joe is right, the two scanners are the same size. Approx 71/4" wide x 6" deep x 21/4" in height.

Freddy

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 8:55 PM freddy frank via Groups.Io <ffrank3803=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Michael, I have both radios. The BCT15X was in my truck and I replaced it with the  996P2 when a few agencies switched to digital. I'll measure both radios and let you know tomorrow.

Freddy
> On Nov 13, 2019, at 1:04 PM, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:
>
> The BCD996P2 is the exact same size as the BCT15X.
>
> It works with FreeScan as long as you are using the latest beta version.
>
> Joe M.
>
>> On 11/13/2019 10:54 AM, Michael WA7SKG wrote:
>> I have a BCT15X scanner in my truck that I love. However, some of the
>> agencies I listen to have moved to P25 digital. I have a custom console
>> holding my radios and would ideally like something that will drop right
>> in without surgery or replacing an expensive faceplate. I was looking at
>> the BCD996P2. By all the pictures, it looks almost identical to the
>> BCT15X, however looking at the various advertisements, the dimensions
>> listed vary from dealer to dealer for both radios.
>>
>> So, does anybody have both of these radios and can compare dimensions
>> for me? I honestly find it hard to believe the radios could look so
>> identical and not be the same size as they look like they use the same
>> case. It sure would be nice if manufacturers could standardize the sizes
>> of these things.
>>
>> As a side note, I use FreeScan to program my BCT15X. Does the same
>> program work with the BCD996P2? If it does, can I take my file for the
>> BCT15X and add the P25 stuff I need to the existing information to
>> program the BCD996P2? That would definitely save me hours of programming.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Michael

JeffH

Hi Michael,

While the SDS100/200, 436, and 996 are good at handling P25, the Unication G5 is the best option on the market for a receive only P25 radio.

They are a little restrictive in supporting P25 and analog only (plus DMR with a license ), if you’re looking for P25 in particular, the G5 is hard to beat IMHO. Their ability to handle simulcasting and their audio quality is second to none!

The Uniden scanners are phenomenal all around scanners and offer a lot more flexibility than the G5.

Shawn Benoit

Unication supports DMR out of the box. No additional license or fees

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 12:48 JeffH <jeff@...> wrote:

Hi Michael,

While the SDS100/200, 436, and 996 are good at handling P25, the Unication G5 is the best option on the market for a receive only P25 radio.

They are a little restrictive in supporting P25 and analog only (plus DMR with a license ), if you’re looking for P25 in particular, the G5 is hard to beat IMHO. Their ability to handle simulcasting and their audio quality is second to none!

The Uniden scanners are phenomenal all around scanners and offer a lot more flexibility than the G5.

Joe M.

Trunked DMR? (or are they just scanning it conventionally)

Joe M.

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 12:48 JeffH <@w4jew
<mailto:@w4jew>> wrote:

Hi Michael,

While the SDS100/200, 436, and 996 are good at handling P25, the
Unication G5 is the best option on the market for a receive only P25
radio.

They are a little restrictive in supporting P25 and analog only
(plus DMR with a license ), if you’re looking for P25 in particular,
the G5 is hard to beat IMHO. Their ability to handle simulcasting
and their audio quality is second to none!

The Uniden scanners are phenomenal all around scanners and offer a
lot more flexibility than the G5.

Evan Platt

Nope, just DMR conventional.

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 10:40 AM Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:

Trunked DMR? (or are they just scanning it conventionally)

Mark Lassman

I believe the dimensions are the same.

On Feb 28, 2020, at 11:56 AM, Queen Nanu <news@...> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 05:16 PM, Michael WA7SKG wrote:
[...]

 I got a new one from Amazon and it's working finr

Joe M.

The BCD996P2 and BCT15X dimensions are identical.
(as are the BCT15, BCD996T, BCD996XT and I believe even the BCD536HP)

They are all DIN size.

Joe M.

On Feb 28, 2020, at 11:56 AM, Queen Nanu <@QueenNanu> wrote:

[...]

Rich

On Feb 28, 2020, at 12:56, Queen Nanu <news@...> wrote:

[...]

nomadvrod

Here is a suggestion,leave the 15 there,add a 436,or something similar,use a ntenna splitter,or pop on a mag mount antenna,I run 4 scanners at home,and sometimes tit,s barely enough,if you spen a lot of time in your car,it will be worth it,,bill wallace

Sent from Mail for Windows 10