Topics

Identifying digital

sckeith@...

Hello

I've been listening  to the railway frequencies and the 160MHz range lately and there are 2 frequencies where my scanner always stops (162.87 and 162.075 in my area) due to activity. On these 2 channels there is what I would call a continuous grinding sound, quite annoying to listen to but if you look at them in the  waterfall of an SDR you can see that it's just not noise, it's data. Is there anywhere I could go to identify what I'm hearing.

Thanks
S Keith

Jim Walls

On 06/18/2020 13:52, sckeith@... wrote:
Hello

I've been listening  to the railway frequencies and the 160MHz range lately and there are 2 frequencies where my scanner always stops (162.87 and 162.075 in my area) due to activity. On these 2 channels there is what I would call a continuous grinding sound, quite annoying to listen to but if you look at them in the waterfall of an SDR you can see that it's just not noise, it's data. Is there anywhere I could go to identify what I'm hearing.
Most likely NXDN - since that is what the railroads will all eventually be using.

-------------------------------------
Jim Walls - K6CCC
jim@...
Ofc: 818-548-4804
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/k6ccc/
AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395

Joe M.

First, those are not railroad frequencies. Those end at 161.610 MHz.

Second, they are in the Federal Band which
makes them most likely P25 control channels.
(could be any branch of the Federal Government)

Joe M.

On 6/18/2020 4:52 PM, sckeith@... wrote:
Hello

I've been listening to the railway frequencies and the 160MHz range
lately and there are 2 frequencies where my scanner always stops (162.87
and 162.075 in my area) due to activity. On these 2 channels there is
what I would call a continuous grinding sound, quite annoying to listen
to but if you look at them in the waterfall of an SDR you can see that
it's just not noise, it's data. Is there anywhere I could go to identify
what I'm hearing.

Thanks
S Keith

Tim L

i believe alot of the railroads are moving to NXDN

"There are only 10 types of people in the world:

 Those who understand binary and those who don't"

In today's email world 97% of all email is spam, please don't contribute.

Came of age in the 60's, now I'm in my 60's ... Whoa, WTF happened?

I've been listening  to the railway frequencies and the 160MHz range lately and there are 2 frequencies where my scanner always stops (162.87 and 162.075 in my area) due to activity. On these 2 channels there is what I would call a continuous grinding sound, quite annoying to listen to but if you look at them in the  waterfall of an SDR you can see that it's just not noise, it's data. Is there anywhere I could go to identify what I'm hearing.

Thanks
S Keith

nomadvrod

What model scanner do yu have?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I've been listening  to the railway frequencies and the 160MHz range lately and there are 2 frequencies where my scanner always stops (162.87 and 162.075 in my area) due to activity. On these 2 channels there is what I would call a continuous grinding sound, quite annoying to listen to but if you look at them in the  waterfall of an SDR you can see that it's just not noise, it's data. Is there anywhere I could go to identify what I'm hearing.

Thanks
S Keith

KA9QJG

Keith yes Joe is right ,, Go here and put the State you are in and check https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Category:US_Federal_Government_Frequencies

Happy Scanning

Don KA9QJG

PS
And a Big Thanks to radio ref and others that do all the hard work and shares with up It is the listeners like on this group that listens and finds freqs and Id them , or knows someone one in the PD/FD Or Two Way Radio shops that share the info too Most wish to remain Anonymous

[...]

WOW On the Rail Road Topic I did not know about this never heard of that term As we get older it is great to learn something new every day It is just retying to remember what that was some forget.. So save the info or print it out , And all you youngsters on here be careful Old age is catching LOL

Stay Safe and Healthy

Happy Scanning

Don KA9QJG

Federal Railroad Administration
From The RadioReference Wiki
171.2375
171.6500
172.2000
172.3000
172.8250
173.0500
173.1500
173.6375
173.9125
170.7500 input to 172.3000

[...]

I'm in Canada

I have a BCD436HP with DMR and NXDN upgrades

I was listening today to some NXDN on Railway  AAR 88 (161.430MHz)  which is the same as the US channel 88

I might enter these frequencies into a couple of different digital systems and see if that finds anything. Before my digital scanner days these channels would annoy me because they would stop my scan

Thanks
Steve

KA9QJG

Thanks  Steve  , Myself and many other forget this is the World Wide Web

Stay Safe and Healthy

Happy Scanning

Don KA9QJG