Topics

Charhing Disabled

bartenderjim

Hi to the group,
My HP1 just started displaying "Charging Disabled" after a few minutes of beginning to charge. I have had this unit since it was new. I did lose the original wall wart but ordered a replacement from Uniden site. It is exactly the same unit verified with Uniden name and PS-0039 on the wall wart. I admit that I hadn't used it in over a year due to family things going on. When it asks me if I want to start charging I tap yes. After about 10 minutes it gives me the notification of charging disabled. If I unplug the wall wart I get batteries low please charge.
Any advice???
Thanks in advance
JamesM.
KJ6FXA

Joe M.

Try replacing the batteries. It sounds like
they have gone bad (at least one of them).

Joe M.

On 1/17/2020 11:55 PM, bartenderjim via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi to the group,
My HP1 just started displaying "Charging Disabled" after a few minutes
of beginning to charge. I have had this unit since it was new. I did
lose the original wall wart but ordered a replacement from Uniden site.
It is exactly the same unit verified with Uniden name and PS-0039 on the
wall wart. I admit that I hadn't used it in over a year due to family
things going on. When it asks me if I want to start charging I tap yes.
After about 10 minutes it gives me the notification of charging
disabled. If I unplug the wall wart I get batteries low please charge.
Any advice???
Thanks in advance
JamesM.
KJ6FXA

Don

Hi James,

Bad batteries! :-(

Even if you don't use battery powered devices much you need to run the batteries down and re-charge them every so often.

A terrific day in Nebraska!

Don

More Live Radio Fun and a Whole Lot More!

Don KPC6NDB
Gothenburg, NE
N40.9 W100.1 2600ft DN90ww
BC1206CM Bearcat DX1000 FRG-100B
FunCube Dongle Pro+ ICF2010 Perseusx3
WR-G303e WR-G31DDCx7 SDRplay RSP2pro
R70 R71A w/250Hz R75x2 w/250Hz R7000
PRN1000x2 SDR-IQ SPR-4 SSR-1 w/NDB mod
SR-AF & LPF DSP599zx MFJ-784B HD-1418 AF-1 MSB-1
PA0RDT-MWx4 1@18ft 1@24ft DXE-ARAV3-1Px4
RYOAA McKay Dymek DA-100 AAx3
Z1501F Russian MW
109 Vintage ADF/RDF
2486 Lifetime logs +65k logs submitted

On 17-Jan-20 22:55, bartenderjim via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi to the group,
My HP1 just started displaying "Charging Disabled" after a few minutes of beginning to charge. I have had this unit since it was new. I did lose the original wall wart but ordered a replacement from Uniden site. It is exactly the same unit verified with Uniden name and PS-0039 on the wall wart. I admit that I hadn't used it in over a year due to family things going on. When it asks me if I want to start charging I tap yes. After about 10 minutes it gives me the notification of charging disabled. If I unplug the wall wart I get batteries low please charge.
Any advice???
Thanks in advance
JamesM.
KJ6FXA

David O'Banion

I agree.
Replace the batteries.

On Saturday, January 18, 2020, 03:57:03 AM PST, Don via Groups.Io <stb55@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Joe,
Yea that was my first thought after I sent the mail last night. Going to get some today.
Thanks again
JamesM.
KJ6FXA

James W. Murphy KJ6FXA

On Saturday, January 18, 2020, 12:12:46 AM PST, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:

Try replacing the batteries. It sounds like
they have gone bad (at least one of them).

Joe M.

On 1/17/2020 11:55 PM, bartenderjim via Groups.Io wrote:
> Hi to the group,
> My HP1 just started displaying "Charging Disabled" after a few minutes
> of beginning to charge. I have had this unit since it was new. I did
> lose the original wall wart but ordered a replacement from Uniden site.
> It is exactly the same unit verified with Uniden name and PS-0039 on the
> wall wart. I admit that I hadn't used it in over a year due to family
> things going on. When it asks me if I want to start charging I tap yes.
> After about 10 minutes it gives me the notification of charging
> disabled. If I unplug the wall wart I get batteries low please charge.
> Any advice???
> Thanks in advance
> JamesM.
> KJ6FXA

Danny Garris

Possibly bad batteries?  Try fresh new rechargeable batteries. SOmetimes when your Scanner sits up unused for a year the rechargeable batteries just got bad.  I've seen this many times!

Danny - WD4CQ

im2002@...>
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2020 11:55 PM
To: main@Uniden.groups.io <main@Uniden.groups.io>
Subject: [Uniden] Charhing Disabled

Hi to the group,
My HP1 just started displaying "Charging Disabled" after a few minutes of beginning to charge. I have had this unit since it was new. I did lose the original wall wart but ordered a replacement from Uniden site. It is exactly the same unit verified with Uniden name and PS-0039 on the wall wart. I admit that I hadn't used it in over a year due to family things going on. When it asks me if I want to start charging I tap yes. After about 10 minutes it gives me the notification of charging disabled. If I unplug the wall wart I get batteries low please charge.
Any advice???
Thanks in advance
JamesM.
KJ6FXA

barbara speir

Hi, kinda off the subject of  bad battery, but I also have an HP 1 and was picking up almost zero. I was advised it would do no good to order the programmed card for HP 1 so  I ordered the HP 2 with a new programmed card and pick up just the areas I am most interested in.  I love listening to my scanner  24/7
No my question, are you picking up good frequencies with your HP 1?

Thank you
Barbara in Mississippi,

Sent: Friday, January 17, 2020 11:55 PM
To: main@Uniden.groups.io <main@Uniden.groups.io>

Hi to the group,
My HP1 just started displaying "Charging Disabled" after a few minutes of beginning to charge. I have had this unit since it was new. I did lose the original wall wart but ordered a replacement from Uniden site. It is exactly the same unit verified with Uniden name and PS-0039 on the wall wart. I admit that I hadn't used it in over a year due to family things going on. When it asks me if I want to start charging I tap yes. After about 10 minutes it gives me the notification of charging disabled. If I unplug the wall wart I get batteries low please charge.
Any advice???
Thanks in advance
JamesM.
KJ6FXA

Joe M.

You likely only had to update the database in the HP-1.

Joe M.

im2002=yahoo.com@groups.io>
*Sent:* Friday, January 17, 2020 11:55 PM
*To:* main@Uniden.groups.io <main@Uniden.groups.io>
Hi to the group,
My HP1 just started displaying "Charging Disabled" after a few minutes
of beginning to charge. I have had this unit since it was new. I did
lose the original wall wart but ordered a replacement from Uniden site.
It is exactly the same unit verified with Uniden name and PS-0039 on the
wall wart. I admit that I hadn't used it in over a year due to family
things going on. When it asks me if I want to start charging I tap yes.
After about 10 minutes it gives me the notification of charging
disabled. If I unplug the wall wart I get batteries low please charge.
Any advice???
Thanks in advance
JamesM.
KJ6FXA

Joel Kahn

Jim:
If you can, use a Maha type charger to refresh the batteries. It sounds like one (or more) batteries have gone bad.  The charger will tell you if there is a short in one.

You should always charge the batteries with an external charger anyway, so you don't have a problem and melt the radio if one explodes.

Joel R Kahn

On Saturday, January 18, 2020, 03:05:23 AM EST, bartenderjim via Groups.Io <bartenderjim2002@...> wrote:

Hi to the group,
My HP1 just started displaying "Charging Disabled" after a few minutes of beginning to charge. I have had this unit since it was new. I did lose the original wall wart but ordered a replacement from Uniden site. It is exactly the same unit verified with Uniden name and PS-0039 on the wall wart. I admit that I hadn't used it in over a year due to family things going on. When it asks me if I want to start charging I tap yes. After about 10 minutes it gives me the notification of charging disabled. If I unplug the wall wart I get batteries low please charge.
Any advice???
Thanks in advance
JamesM.
KJ6FXA

bartenderjim

Thanks Joel,
Am looking into getting one of those already. I think I have one I bought a few years ago somewhere around here. When we moved into our new house a couple a years ago I am still looking for things I found I need and am finding stuff I didn't know I had...:-)
Thanks again

James W. Murphy KJ6FXA

On Sunday, January 19, 2020, 03:10:41 PM PST, Joel Kahn <jrkahn@...> wrote:

[...]

Patrick Gauen

Does that model have a switch in the battery compartment to disable charging when you’re using (non-rechargeable) alkaline batteries?

Patrick Gauen

On Jan 18, 2020, at 02:12, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Joe and everyone else that answered,
I did my rechargeable batteries and charger. It works great now. I tested the old batteries out of the radio and they did test bad (imagine that...3 years old and stored for a year...:-)0. Patrick---no there is no switch in the battery compartment for when using alkaline batteries.

James W. Murphy KJ6FXA