Topics

Can anyone about laws on scanner

John Lewis

I live in Kentucky I'm ham  Operator weather have scanner in my vehicle

Bernard Skoch

Can't vouch for accuracy, but here's a compilation of state laws.

http://www.fireline.org/scanlaws/scanner5.html

And here is Kentucky's statute:

Here is the only verbiage I can find that references hams:

Nothing contained in this section shall prohibit the possession
     of a radio by:

     (a) An individual who is a retailer or wholesaler  and  in  the
         ordinary course of his business offers such radios for sale
         or resale;

     (b) A commercial or educational radio  or  television  station,
         licensed by the Federal Communications Commission,  at  its
         place of business; or

     (c) An individual who possesses such a radio,  provided  it  is
         capable of receiving radio transmissions only  and  is  not
         capable of sending or transmitting radio messages,  at  his
         place of residence; licensed commercial auto towing trucks;
         newspaper reporters and photographers; emergency management
         agency personnel authorized in writing by the  director  of
         the division of emergency management (for state  personnel)
         or chief  executive  of  the  city  or  county  (for  their
         respective personnel); a person  holding  a  valid  license
         issued by the  Federal  Communications  Commission  in  the
         amateur radio service; peace officers authorized in writing
         by the head of their law enforcement agency, Commonwealth's
         attorneys and their assistants, county attorneys and  their
         assistants, except that it shall be unlawful  to  use  such
         radio to facilitate  any  criminal  activity  or  to  avoid
         apprehension by law enforcement officers. Violation of this
         section shall, in addition to any other penalty  prescribed
         by law, result in a forfeiture to the local law enforcement
         agency of such radio.

From: Tim Ferguson <tferg53@...>
Date: 6/10/20 8:12 PM (GMT-07:00)
To: main@uniden.groups.io

> [...]

>>> problem. The only officer who had jumper cables was on the other end
>>> of the county. So I showed up. I got out of my car and said I had
>>> jumper cables. The officer said great, but how did you know we needed
>>> jumper cables? I said I heard it on my scanner. He looked at my Ohio
>>> license plate (I lived in Ohio) and he said you know it is illegal to
>>> have a scanner in your car in Indiana? I said yes, I know that. I told
>>> him which station I worked for and said I would be glad to show you my
>>> media pass and scanner permit or we can just jump the car and get it
>>> out of the way. He said lets just jump the car and get it out of the
>>> way. Good choice, so that was what we did. I always figured that he
>>> probably thought since I knew what I needed to have and was willing to
>>> show them that is wasn't worth the time to look.

KA9QJG

Joe , That is a great point and in Indiana We try and not talk about it because the Way the Indiana scanner law is written It state's a device cable of listening to Police calls.. That’s right a Cell phone would be considered a device and if mobile or not on your property or business it would be illegal unless exempt.. But please be careful as scanner owners we do not want the local PD that has Scanner laws to try this in court and be right.
As everyone knows Apps work ok But not like a real Scanner that we can lock on a Freq .. Example listening a App you hear something bad in your hood and want to listen the next thig you hear is the Dog catcher chasing a dog in another town , we are at the mercy of whatever the provider set his scanner up for ,,And I know we have all read because of Apps that is why lots of departments are going Encrypted that is another thread in itself ..

Stay Safe and Healthy

Don KA9QJG

I live in Kentucky I'm ham Operator weather have scanner in my
vehicle

--
Untitled Document

Your last part depends on how the stream is set up.

Now let's really blur the lines. Let's say I use a VNC program
on my cellphone to stream and control my scanner that is at home.

Legally, that is no different than any other streaming, and I have the same control. The only thing I would not have is the signal strength on weak local signals. (or features like Close Call)

Joe M.

On 6/11/2020 1:09 AM, KA9QJG wrote:
[...]

Yes that would work great being able to control you own Scanner .. A lot of non-scanner listeners who actually do not own one do not understand how it works they just listen to an app and complain they miss things

Stay Safe and Healthy

Don KA9QJG