Bios?

Tim Ferguson

Apparently “disappearing ink” has made I come back? Sent this email earlier using the wrong email address and it got sent back. I simply copied and pasted it into a new email, but it apparently didn’t work as planned, so here it is again

It’s fascinating to read the different posts when different people get into an in-depth discussion on different topics and subjects, but we don’t know who you are or where your from or your background, well, at least some of us. Would it be possible to include a small amount of bio info to help use better understand each other, especially during this “shelter in place” times?

Being a retired teacher/school admin in southern Illinois, I’ve had a scanner going back to the early ’70’s with a ten channel Bearcat and only one crystal to start with. Used to have it in my ’62 VW Bug which was interesting since it was only 6-volts.

Just an idea, but am thrilled we don’t have some of the complex systems you guys discuss (and cuss), and other than one local county and the ISP, no one else has gone digital.

Tim

Patrick Gauen

I was a longtime police reporter and editor for two major daily newspapers in St, Louis and lived on the Illinois side of that metro area. I retired in 2017 as public safety editor of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. My first radio, circa 1969, was a tunable RS Patrolman Pro2. It was quickly replaced by a long series of scanners, starting with an 8-channel Regency high/low. I made the transitions from VHF low to high to
UHF to trunked to digital to encrypted.

Patrick Gauen

On May 18, 2020, at 18:24, Tim Ferguson <tferg53@...> wrote:

Apparently “disappearing ink” has made I come back? Sent this email earlier using the wrong email address and it got sent back. I simply copied and pasted it into a new email, but it apparently didn’t work as planned, so here it is again

It’s fascinating to read the different posts when different people get into an in-depth discussion on different topics and subjects, but we don’t know who you are or where your from or your background, well, at least some of us. Would it be possible to include a small amount of bio info to help use better understand each other, especially during this “shelter in place” times?

Being a retired teacher/school admin in southern Illinois, I’ve had a scanner going back to the early ’70’s with a ten channel Bearcat and only one crystal to start with. Used to have it in my ’62 VW Bug which was interesting since it was only 6-volts.

Just an idea, but am thrilled we don’t have some of the complex systems you guys discuss (and cuss), and other than one local county and the ISP, no one else has gone digital.

Tim

harvey morse

A picture containing object, drawing, light

Description automatically generated

Harvey E. Morse,  BAI, CMI,CII

Law Enforcement Certified

Sworn Deputy Sheriff – Firearms Instructor

Haywood County, NC - Emergency Management Response Team

Private Investigator - Florida

Former: Federal Investigator, Florida State Trooper

Municipal Police Sgt. & Asst. Police Chief, Ret.

Life Member: Florida Police Chief’s Assn. [FPCA]  - Int’l Assn. of Chiefs of Police [IACP]

ASIS, FAPI, INTELLENET, WAD, BAI

K1DJG since 1954

George Roden

Retired Healthcare Professional 
First scanner was a 1978 era RCA 10-channel with always on 3-second scan delay. Hated it. Sold it and bought a Robyn 8+8 hi-lo. Best crystal scanner I ever had. 

I’ve always enjoyed this hobby. My wife of 40-years enjoys it, too. 

George Roden 
Cassville. MO

On May 19, 2020, at 2:31 PM, harvey morse <harvey@...> wrote:

<image001.png>

Harvey E. Morse,  BAI, CMI,CII

Law Enforcement Certified

Sworn Deputy Sheriff – Firearms Instructor

Haywood County, NC - Emergency Management Response Team

Private Investigator - Florida

Former: Federal Investigator, Florida State Trooper

Municipal Police Sgt. & Asst. Police Chief, Ret.

Life Member: Florida Police Chief’s Assn. [FPCA]  - Int’l Assn. of Chiefs of Police [IACP]

ASIS, FAPI, INTELLENET, WAD, BAI

K1DJG since 1954

Michael Martin

31 years Retired AT&T (Started as Overseas Telephone Operator, then High Seas Radio Operator WOM, Building Maintenance, Communications Technician, Manager and lastly a Process Engineer – Wrote Methods and Procedures on installation of Private Line Fiber Optics).  At the same time, I also worked as a EMT/Paramedic and Dispatcher for 38 years (Retired).  Odd ball jobs – Traffic Reporter, Lead Computer Tech & Lead Copy & Print at Staples, Driver for O’Reillys, Sales Associate at CarMax and 3rd degree Black Belt Senior Chief Instructor and Regional Examiner in Choi Kwang Do.  I also did radio programming for Metro Traffic, WSB Radio & TV, WAGA TV, WXIA TV & WGCL TV.  I have been totally, and happily retired since July 2018!

I operate several websites – GeorgiaScanner.com, ScanMississippi.com, ScanMontana.com, ScanNewMexico.com, ScanVermont.com and now the FCCUpdates.com. 

I like to stay busy as you can tell!  😊

/\/\|k.e

_._,_._,_

Mark Burnham

Mike
You have been a bu

On May 19, 2020 6:11 PM, "Michael Martin via groups.io" <mm505@...> wrote:

31 years Retired AT&T (Started as Overseas Telephone Operator, then High Seas Radio Operator WOM, Building Maintenance, Communications Technician, Manager and lastly a Process Engineer – Wrote Methods and Procedures on installation of Private Line Fiber Optics).  At the same time, I also worked as a EMT/Paramedic and Dispatcher for 38 years (Retired).  Odd ball jobs – Traffic Reporter, Lead Computer Tech & Lead Copy & Print at Staples, Driver for O’Reillys, Sales Associate at CarMax and 3rd degree Black Belt Senior Chief Instructor and Regional Examiner in Choi Kwang Do.  I also did radio programming for Metro Traffic, WSB Radio & TV, WAGA TV, WXIA TV & WGCL TV.  I have been totally, and happily retired since July 2018!

I operate several websites – GeorgiaScanner.com, ScanMississippi.com, ScanMontana.com, ScanNewMexico.com, ScanVermont.com and now the FCCUpdates.com. 

/\/\|k.e

Mark Burnham

Mike

You have been a busy boy. 

Mark

On May 19, 2020 6:11 PM, "Michael Martin via groups.io" <mm505@...> wrote:

/\/\|k.e

Tim Ferguson

I was a volunteer firefighter with the local FPD in the early ’70’s before getting a fulltime job teaching in ’78,  Was manager for the  FPD for a about a year-and-a-half just prior to changing jobs, back in the days when I had to have a “fire phone” and base radio with Plectron tone encoder to page everyone from midnight to 8:00 a.m. while working at the station then 8:00 to 4:00 p.m.

Thanks for the input, I’ve also been taking photos for the local FD’s for the past few years to help document fires and promote our first responders.

Do appreciate the help that the “experts” on this list offer, it’s fascinating how detailed “scanning” has become over the years.

Stay safe!

Tim

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 5:26 PM TLFerg53 <tferg53@...> wrote:
Apparently “disappearing ink” has made I come back?  Sent this email earlier using the wrong email address and it got sent back.  I simply copied and pasted it into a new email, but it apparently didn’t work as planned, so here it is again

Being a retired teacher/school admin in southern Illinois, I’ve had a scanner going back to the early ’70’s with a ten channel Bearcat and only one crystal to start with.  Used to have it in my ’62 VW Bug which was interesting since it was only 6-volts.

Tim

Stevesweb

Edited

Wow, that's quite a career, or careers. Mines not quite as busy, but I have been employed for a utility company for 35 years. Operating mostly, with a side of radio and electronics as a hobby. Last 8 years has been working with IT for work management and field enablement software process improvements.

I've had many receivers, but never got my Ham License. I will retire before long and I'll need it then. I have several scanners over the last 40 years. I do believe the 436HP is the best so far.

Mark Lassman

Robyn made some great stuff back in the day. Too bad they went away. 

On May 19, 2020, at 2:26 PM, George Roden via groups.io <george_roden@...> wrote:

Retired Healthcare Professional 
First scanner was a 1978 era RCA 10-channel with always on 3-second scan delay. Hated it. Sold it and bought a Robyn 8+8 hi-lo. Best crystal scanner I ever had. 

I’ve always enjoyed this hobby. My wife of 40-years enjoys it, too. 

George Roden 

Edward Maikranz <maikranze@...>

Well I got my start in the US Army Signal Corps. 

I was an HF RTTY operator but also worked with VHF FM simplex and retrans systems. 

After the Army I became a firefighter/EMT in Abilene Texas. Over the last 31 years I have seen our department transition from a VHF simplex system to a VHF repeater and eventually an 809 MHz EDACS trunked system. I spent some time working with the vendor designing the system, testing the system and training the troops to use it. It’s been a good career and I am finishing it out driving a ladder truck, hanging it up this August. 

And yes, on all of those 24 hour shifts I always had a scanner, shortwave radio, ham HT, etc.. in my backpack!

Ed Maikranz
KG5UN
Abilene, Texas

Len .

I don't know that I've ever posted in this group, but here's a little about me.

I'm a retired police officer that served in a small suburb of Boston. I had scanners in both cars and one in my office until I retired. My Wife hated the noise so I buried them in the cellar. A few years ago a good friend who retired recently from a well-known South Coast (of MA) police department convinced me to turn the scanners back on. My first scanner was a Bearcat 250 (which I'll shortly get rid of).

We're in the process of moving to our new home in NH where I currently have a 996XT running (sadly the town we moved to runs encrypted) and a 436HP that I basically don't use. In my MA home (we're cleaning it out for the final move), I run a Realistic PRO-2021 with just the local PD and FD on it and the 536HP running ~40 mile radius.

I've also served my MA own as a Constable for the past 21 years and will be giving that up when we finally move totally to NH. I'm also a firearms instructor and will keep doing that in NH.

I'm also an amateur radio operator but until I get a wire up in the trees in NH and a good grounding system, I'm only running VHF/UHF.

--------------
Regards,
Len Segal
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
MSP BFS & LEOSA Certified Instructor
Law of Self Defense Instructor Program Graduate
Comm2A Member
GOAL - Sustaining, NRA - Life
SAF - Life, DVC
http://2atraining.weebly.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: main@Uniden.groups.io <main@Uniden.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim Ferguson
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2020 18:26
To: main@uniden.groups.io
Subject: [Uniden] Bios?

Tim

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

Michael WA7SKG

Started with SWL in the mid-60's. Got my Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Permit as a Civil Air Patrol Cadet in 1966. Got involved with CB shortly thereafter. Discovered ham radio around 1969, but not enough information to get licensed. Entered USAF as a Ground Electronics Communications Technician and finally got my ham license while going through technical school. My first radio was an RCA LD-150 30 watt two channel tube mobile radio. It was formerly a Gulfport, MS police radio and still had their dispatch channel in channel 2. Got my first scanner, a Regency 10 channel in 1974, but used it to scan the ham channels at first. Got a second one a few years later so one scanned the ham channels and one scanned the local public safety. As years went by I went through a number of scanners, praising the day when programmable scanners became affordable. I probably spent well over $500 in crystals over the years.

Throughout my 23 Air Force career I was a volunteer with fire departments, SAR, and ambulance squads throughout the country. During my nearly 20 years after that as a broadcast engineer, I continued to have scanners as well as ham rigs in my vehicles and at home. Now retired, I have scanners in both vehicles as well as my RV, and multiple scanners in the ham shack at home.

It has always been a "thing" with me and so interesting to hear what goes on in the local community you never hear reported on the news.

Michael WA7SKG

Dave WD0HDR

Interesting posts thanks

I retired after 41 yeast with the State of Colorado State Patrol, then 10 years Motorola software support.
When I started in 1962, I did radio repair installs and tower work, then I went into communications/dispatch.
I managed a 911 center for 26 years dispatching to state county and city agencies.
The last 5 years of my career I worked in IT installing computer aided dispatch across the state.

I'm also an amateur radio operator involved locally and with all the amateur digital modes.

David
WD0HDR
WD0HDR@...
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Michael Lynch

When I was in high school in Arizona during the early 1970s, the counselors hounded me about what I wanted to do after school. I did not know. Then in my Junior year I bought a Radio Shack Patrolman Pro-7A scanner (with crystals). I installed it in my 1972 AMC Gremlin and started chasing police calls on Friday and Saturday nights. Family, friends, and even my mom sometimes accompanied me. That was when I decided that I wanted to go into Law Enforcement.

I spent 5 years as a city police officer in Arizona and California before going federal in 1984. I spent 14.5 years as a Special Agent with the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) which included 4.5 years stationed in Naples, Italy. The last 5.5 years I was a Special Agent with the EPA Office of Inspector General in San Francisco doing computer crimes investigations. I retired 16 years ago this coming August.

I now have a Uniden BCD536HP desktop scanner, a BCD436HP handheld, and a BCD396XT handheld.

And, yes, my mom still has my Patrolman scanner hooked up at her house. It still received Phoenix Fire.

- Mike
Peoria, AZ
KK6FCQ

Dewey

We all started somewhere! I guess the TOPIC for this group has flew the
coop.

Dewey

From: main@Uniden.groups.io <main@Uniden.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael
Lynch
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 09:38
To: main@Uniden.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Uniden] Bios?

When I was in high school in Arizona during the early 1970s, the
counselors hounded me about what I wanted to do after school. I did
not know. Then in my Junior year I bought a Radio Shack Patrolman
Pro-7A scanner (with crystals). I installed it in my 1972 AMC
Gremlin and started chasing police calls on Friday and Saturday
nights. Family, friends, and even my mom sometimes accompanied
me. That was when I decided that I wanted to go into Law Enforcement.

I spent 5 years as a city police officer in Arizona and California
before going federal in 1984. I spent 14.5 years as a Special Agent
with the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) which included
4.5 years stationed in Naples, Italy. The last 5.5 years I was a
Special Agent with the EPA Office of Inspector General in San
Francisco doing computer crimes investigations. I retired 16 years
ago this coming August.

I now have a Uniden BCD536HP desktop scanner, a BCD436HP handheld,
and a BCD396XT handheld.

And, yes, my mom still has my Patrolman scanner hooked up at her
house. It still received Phoenix Fire.

- Mike
Peoria, AZ
KK6FCQ

Randy Thomas <thomasrandylee@...>

Started out in 1971 with a Bearcat 8 channel and a Regency which I still have both. Police 911 Dispatcher for a Department in Alabama. In 1973 graduated from College and became  a Police Officer. Joined the Military Security Forces. Served in Desert Storm Desert Shield. Two tours to Iraq and one tour to Afghanistan. Second tour to Afghanistan shot in right hand and sent back to the states where I was medically discharged with 26 years of service as a Chief Warrant  Officer 4. Would'nt  allow me to do 30 years due to my injuries. Was Officer in Charge with the Seals of planning coordination and Rescue of the MV Alabama where we rescued Captain Phillip's from the Pirates. Totally disabled from my wound now and living with my wife in Appomattox  County, Virginia. Thanks to a certain person here in this group I am not only continuing my scanning with am now have a new lease on life as a Ham Operator. 73's

Randy Thomas
Appomattox,  Virginia 
KO4BZP 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy Tablet

-------- Original message --------
Date: 5/20/20 11:11 AM (GMT-05:00)

Interesting posts thanks

I retired after 41 yeast with the State of Colorado State Patrol, then 10 years Motorola software support.
When I started in 1962, I did radio repair installs and tower work,  then I went into communications/dispatch.
I managed a 911 center for 26 years dispatching to state county and city agencies.
The last 5 years of my career I worked in IT installing computer aided dispatch across the state.

I'm also an amateur radio operator involved locally and with all the amateur digital modes.

David
WD0HDR
WD0HDR@...
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Jeff Daugherty

I guess this topic everyone has to submit résumés.....

Sent from my Sprint Phone.

Date: 5/20/20 9:40 AM (GMT-07:00)

We all started somewhere!  I guess the TOPIC for this group has flew the
coop.

Dewey

From: main@Uniden.groups.io <main@Uniden.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael
Lynch
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 09:38

When I was in high school in Arizona during the early 1970s, the
counselors hounded me about what I wanted to do after school.  I did
not know.  Then in my Junior year I bought a Radio Shack Patrolman
Pro-7A scanner (with crystals).  I installed it in my 1972 AMC
Gremlin and started chasing police calls on Friday and Saturday
nights.  Family, friends, and even my mom sometimes accompanied
me.  That was when I decided that I wanted to go into Law Enforcement.

I spent 5 years as a city police officer in Arizona and California
before going federal in 1984.  I spent 14.5 years as a Special Agent
with the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) which included
4.5 years stationed in Naples, Italy.  The last 5.5 years I was a
Special Agent with the EPA Office of Inspector General in San
Francisco doing computer crimes investigations.  I retired 16 years
ago this coming August.

I now have a Uniden BCD536HP desktop scanner, a BCD436HP handheld,
and a BCD396XT handheld.

And, yes, my mom still has my Patrolman scanner hooked up at her
house.  It still received Phoenix Fire.

- Mike
  Peoria, AZ
  KK6FCQ

Scanner1143

What happened to the X36HP Support Group?

Thomas Vance

From: main@Uniden.groups.io [mailto:main@Uniden.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Harris - WD0HDR
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 10:14 PM

Interesting posts thanks

When I started in 1962, I did radio repair installs and tower work, then I went into communications/dispatch.

David
WD0HDR
WD0HDR@...
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A Edison

MaryLou Atwell

Thank you for your service Randy.  Many hugs and handshakes to you.

My bio is oh so small compared to all of yours.   I haven't even turned on my bearcat 996  since DE went total encryption, and I lost even the plow operators....:(     I used to use the Pro-96 and Pro 97 for Airshows, but I haven't even been to one of them to listen for a few years now.   I studied for the Ham radio test,( forget which one)  and the electronic parts got me..   But I can turn them on, and I do have PHL so if the planes are going the right way, I can listen in....   I think I gave up on me and learning it.....     

All of you guys are Awesome!

MaryLou Schoff

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 1:48 PM Randy Thomas <thomasrandylee@...> wrote:
Started out in 1971 with a Bearcat 8 channel and a Regency which I still have both. Police 911 Dispatcher for a Department in Alabama. In 1973 graduated from College and became  a Police Officer. Joined the Military Security Forces. Served in Desert Storm Desert Shield. Two tours to Iraq and one tour to Afghanistan. Second tour to Afghanistan shot in right hand and sent back to the states where I was medically discharged with 26 years of service as a Chief Warrant  Officer 4. Would'nt  allow me to do 30 years due to my injuries. Was Officer in Charge with the Seals of planning coordination and Rescue of the MV Alabama where we rescued Captain Phillip's from the Pirates. Totally disabled from my wound now and living with my wife in Appomattox  County, Virginia. Thanks to a certain person here in this group I am not only continuing my scanning with am now have a new lease on life as a Ham Operator. 73's

Randy Thomas
Appomattox,  Virginia 
KO4BZP 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy Tablet

Date: 5/20/20 11:11 AM (GMT-05:00)

Interesting posts thanks

When I started in 1962, I did radio repair installs and tower work,  then I went into communications/dispatch.

David
WD0HDR
WD0HDR@...