Topics

BCD996T

Thomas Luce

How do I quickly move from one group to another without accidently reprogramming or deleting something. Thanks in advance. BCD996T.

David Brown

Put it in search mode and then add the other bank and delete the one you just on.

On Saturday, April 4, 2020, 06:52:47 PM EDT, Thomas Luce via groups.io <toml242001@...> wrote:

How do I quickly move from one group to another without accidently reprogramming or deleting something. Thanks in advance. BCD996T.

David Brown

This action will not deprogram anything. Each bank is in a different place in memory.
I have Fairfax County VA Public safety in one bank and Alexandria in a different onean..
When I want to monitor both banks, I jug go to earch mode and activate the other bank and then can listen to both banks in search mode. And then get back to scan mode and listen to both banks with the talk groups that I  previously programmed in. If want to just listenan to the alternate bank, I go back to search mode and delselct the bank I do not want to listen to and then go back to scan mode and listen to the bank I have previously programmed. This should be in your instruction manual. There are some youtube videos explaning all this.

On Saturday, April 4, 2020, 07:10:38 PM EDT, David Brown via grToups.io <dbspringfield@...> wrote:

Put it in search mode and then add the other bank and delete the one you just on.

On Saturday, April 4, 2020, 06:52:47 PM EDT, Thomas Luce via groups.io <toml242001@...> wrote:

How do I quickly move from one group to another without accidently reprogramming or deleting something. Thanks in advance. BCD996T.

Thomas Luce

As an example, if the scanner is in group #17, and I want to go back to group #3, what is the correct sequence? I don't see it in the manual. I don't want to lock out the full #17 bank but is that what I have to do? Many thanks I appreciate the replies.

Joe M.

I'm trying to recall if Number Tags were available in the 996T.

If so, you can use those to go direct to the first channel in any group.

Joe M.

On 4/4/2020 8:38 PM, Thomas Luce via groups.io wrote:
As an example, if the scanner is in group #17, and I want to go back to
group #3, what is the correct sequence? I don't see it in the manual. I
don't want to lock out the full #17 bank but is that what I have to do?
Many thanks I appreciate the replies.

Jim Walls

On 04/04/2020 18:02, Joe M. wrote:
I'm trying to recall if Number Tags were available in the 996T.

If so, you can use those to go direct to the first channel in any group.
Yes, they are.

-------------------------------------
Jim Walls - K6CCC
jim@...
Ofc: 818-548-4804
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/k6ccc/
AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395

Jim Walls

On 04/04/2020 17:38, Thomas Luce via groups.io wrote:
As an example, if the scanner is in group #17, and I want to go back to group #3, what is the correct sequence? I don't see it in the manual. I don't want to lock out the full #17 bank but is that what I have to do? Many thanks I appreciate the replies.
I make extensive use of Quick Keys on my 396 and 996 scanners.

-------------------------------------
Jim Walls - K6CCC
jim@...
Ofc: 818-548-4804
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/k6ccc/
AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395

John Lewis

My name is john Lewis I have a 436 what type of charger does it have

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 9:33 PM, Jim Walls
<jim@...> wrote:
On 04/04/2020 17:38, Thomas Luce via groups.io wrote:
> As an example, if the scanner is in group #17, and I want to go back
> to group #3, what is the correct sequence? I don't see it in the
> manual. I don't want to lock out the full #17 bank but is that what I
> have to do? Many thanks I appreciate the replies.

I make extensive use of Quick Keys on my 396 and 996 scanners.

-------------------------------------
Jim Walls - K6CCC
jim@...
Ofc:  818-548-4804
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/k6ccc/
AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395

Maggie O'Connor

It’s called a MINI USB.  You can charge from the wall or from a computer – but that’s the name/size it needs.

Sent: Saturday, April 04, 2020 9:44 PM
Subject: Re: [Uniden] BCD996T

<jim@...> wrote:
On 04/04/2020 17:38, Thomas Luce via groups.io wrote:
> As an example, if the scanner is in group #17, and I want to go back
> to group #3, what is the correct sequence? I don't see it in the
> manual. I don't want to lock out the full #17 bank but is that what I
> have to do? Many thanks I appreciate the replies.

I make extensive use of Quick Keys on my 396 and 996 scanners.

-------------------------------------
Jim Walls - K6CCC
jim@...
Ofc:  818-548-4804
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/k6ccc/
AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395

Stevesweb

I have a 436 and it came with a USB 2.0 A to USB 2.0 Mini B cable. Uniden.com shows the BCD436HP "Allows you to charge the rechargeable batteries in the scanner from any USB port."

You should search for USB 2.0 Mini B. I use my cable to charge from an adapter with an output of up to 1Amp. There have been reports of batteries getting hot and damaging the Micro SD card during charging. A higher than 1Amp makes the batteries pretty hot. I prefer using an extra set of rechargeable batteries and charger them external on a recharge adaptor.

Joe M.

That is not at all how current works.

1. You need to make sure you use a source that will provide the current the scanner needs to charge. Using one lower will likely damage the source as the scanner tries to draw more current than the source can supply.

2. The scanner, provided with an adequate supply, will charge at a rate that is fixed. That means if your scanner takes say 700 mA of current, it will draw 700 mA of current from a source that can provide 1000 mA of current (1A) or from a source that can provide 10000A of current.

2A. The current in #2 will determine how hot the batteries get. It again makes no difference how much the source can deliver. 700 mA is 700 mA. Since the current is pretty much fixed, so is the heat. The only thing that will make the cells hotter are internal shorts which have no effect on the scanner's charging circuitry which will still provide X mA of current. (I used a 700 mA figure but it might be lower)

Your other point is dead on. Charging externally is the way to go for the reasons in #3. When cells start going bad, they short. When they short, they produce heat. When they produce heat (especially excessive heat), that can damage components around them.

Then there is the worst case - a cell shorting catastrophically. This dissipates ALL the energy in the cell and is released in the form of a LOT of heat. This usually will happen when the cell is nearly fully charged which means a LOT of heat. I've seen such occurrences melt the plastic costing of the cells, melt scanner cases, melt components, and literally destroy the scanner. I've seen the melted plastic coating first hand. You can Google pics of scanner damage.

BTW, the BCD436HP only came with a USB charger thanks to the CEC (California Energy Commission) which made it illegal to ship the unit with a wall charger. Only USB-charged electronics were exempted. That caused a huge issue when the BC346XT was released. Uniden was forced to remove the charging circuit and release the unit as the BC346XTC (C for California). Subsequent models used USB for charging to comply with CEC regulations.

Joe M.

On 4/5/2020 2:37 AM, Stevesweb wrote:

A higher than 1Amp makes the batteries pretty hot. I prefer using an extra
set of rechargeable batteries and charger them external on a recharge
adaptor.

Stevesweb

Thanks for the clarification, I'm glad to know I can run 10000A into my scanner. That gives me a lot more options for charging.

Joe M.

NOT what I said. But you can connect it to a SOURCE that is capable of that much current. I never said you should run that much into your scanner.

Another example you might understand. If you have a BCD536HP, it is connected (directly or indirectly) to a car battery that can put out nearly 1000A. Yet the scanner draws maybe 1.5 to 2A. What makes it not draw that full 1000? That's because devices only draw the current they need - no more. That's why the 3A or 5A doesn't blow consistently.

Joe M.

On 4/5/2020 6:13 AM, Stevesweb wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, I'm glad to know I can run 10000A into my
scanner. That gives me a lot more options for charging.

Stevesweb

Just messing with you. Ive been working in computers and electronics since in my early teens ('70s). Dang I'm getting old.

I just remember using a 2.0A charger when I first bought my 436 and the battery compartment was very hot after a few hours (Why I looked at groups about heating issues). I started using 1.0A charger and it wouldn't get as hot. Just a personal observation. I recharge on a external charger now.

I was never able to find any amperage ratings for the 436, just voltage 5V ±5%.

Thanks for the info, have a good week. Be Safe!

Thomas Luce

Thanks for hijacking this topic. I still haven't seen an answer I understand about quickly changing from one quick key group to another.

Joe M.

Answer on question: Use Number Tags.

Joe M.

On 04/05/2020 08:40, Thomas Luce via groups.io wrote:
Thanks for hijacking this topic. I still haven't seen an answer I understand about quickly changing from one quick key group to another.
If you are using System Quick Keys, it's easy!  For single digit quick keys, just tap that number key.  For two digit Quick Keys, the [Dot - also No] followed by the two digits.  For example, if I am monitoring a system with Quick Key 21 (Los Angeles County Fire in my case), and I want to stop listening to them, and instead listen to the system with Quick Key 4 (The Burbank site on the I-C-I trunking system in my case), press 4 (to turn on system 4), and [Dot] 2 1 (to turn off system 21).  Done.

-------------------------------------
Jim Walls - K6CCC
jim@...
Ofc: 818-548-4804
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/k6ccc/
AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395

John Svensson

I never charge the batteries while they are in the scanner, one should always charge them in an external charger

John

Just messing with you. Ive been working in computers and electronics since in my early teens ('70s). Dang I'm getting old.

I just remember using a 2.0A charger when I first bought my 436 and the battery compartment was very hot after a few hours (Why I looked at groups about heating issues). I started using 1.0A charger and it wouldn't get as hot. Just a personal observation. I recharge on a external charger now.

I was never able to find any amperage ratings for the 436, just voltage 5V ±5%.

Thanks for the info, have a good week. Be Safe!

Adam J

My 536 is like that too although i just park on my fav channel and or the 536 will do id scan on nxdn and dmr which is nice with out it scanning my other banks. I have yet to try changing the "scanned banks" by pushing the numbers to select different banks for scanning but after reading some of Jims posts it appears very simple and easy.

Adam

Sent from Outlook Mobile