ARC536 Comments please


Marshall Tuttle
 

I am considering buying the Butel software. Looking for user comments and suggestions.  Will it coexist with Sentinel on a Win 10 PC?  This is my first post and my radio should arrive later this week.  I am in Colorado Springs CO.
Marshall T.


Joe M.
 

I've never heard of anyone having issues due to
having both Sentinel and ARC installed on the same PC.

Now both running at the same time might have port claim issues.

Joe M.

On 8/24/2020 2:57 PM, Marshall Tuttle wrote:
I am considering buying the Butel software. Looking for user comments
and suggestions. Will it coexist with Sentinel on a Win 10 PC? This is
my first post and my radio should arrive later this week. I am in
Colorado Springs CO.
Marshall T.


Bob Turner
 

It can be a little tricky keeping both Butel and Sentinal in sync. When you write to scanner with one, then read it back into the other before making changes with the other.  When you write it back then read back in the other.  It’s not the end of the world if you forget the write with one, read (and save) from the other routine.  You just might find something you changed In one undone by the other in areas they overlap.

 

Bob

 

From: main@Uniden.groups.io [mailto:main@Uniden.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marshall Tuttle
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 2:58 PM
To: main@uniden.groups.io
Subject: [Uniden] ARC536 Comments please

 

I am considering buying the Butel software. Looking for user comments and suggestions.  Will it coexist with Sentinel on a Win 10 PC?  This is my first post and my radio should arrive later this week.  I am in Colorado Springs CO.

Marshall T.


Terry Lightner
 

I use both. I only use Sentinel to update database and firmware. Butel is very easy to download the systems you want from RR.



On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 3:40 PM, Bob Turner
<n2scj-lists@...> wrote:

It can be a little tricky keeping both Butel and Sentinal in sync. When you write to scanner with one, then read it back into the other before making changes with the other.  When you write it back then read back in the other.  It’s not the end of the world if you forget the write with one, read (and save) from the other routine.  You just might find something you changed In one undone by the other in areas they overlap.

 

Bob

 

From: main@Uniden.groups.io [mailto:main@Uniden.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marshall Tuttle
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 2:58 PM
To: main@uniden.groups.io
Subject: [Uniden] ARC536 Comments please

 

I am considering buying the Butel software. Looking for user comments and suggestions.  Will it coexist with Sentinel on a Win 10 PC?  This is my first post and my radio should arrive later this week.  I am in Colorado Springs CO.

Marshall T.


Rich
 

that's precisely what I do. 

 

 

'73,
rich, n9dko
An apple a day keeps the doctor away....but if your aim is good it'll keep everyone away

_________________________________

 

 

From: main@Uniden.groups.io [mailto:main@Uniden.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob Turner
Sent: Monday August 24, 2020 14:33 PM
To: main@Uniden.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Uniden] ARC536 Comments please

 

It can be a little tricky keeping both Butel and Sentinal in sync. When you write to scanner with one, then read it back into the other before making changes with the other.  When you write it back then read back in the other.  It’s not the end of the world if you forget the write with one, read (and save) from the other routine.  You just might find something you changed In one undone by the other in areas they overlap.

 

Bob

 

From: main@Uniden.groups.io [mailto:main@Uniden.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marshall Tuttle
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 2:58 PM
To: main@uniden.groups.io
Subject: [Uniden] ARC536 Comments please

 

I am considering buying the Butel software. Looking for user comments and suggestions.  Will it coexist with Sentinel on a Win 10 PC?  This is my first post and my radio should arrive later this week.  I am in Colorado Springs CO.

Marshall T.


Rich
 

yes.  I have both installed on my dell Win10 Pro laptop.

 

 

'73,
rich, n9dko
If a cat always lands on his feet and a piece of buttered bread always lands on the buttered side...what would happen if you strapped a piece of buttered bread to a cat and dropped it?

_________________________________

 

 

From: main@Uniden.groups.io [mailto:main@Uniden.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marshall Tuttle
Sent: Monday August 24, 2020 13:58 PM
To: main@uniden.groups.io
Subject: [Uniden] ARC536 Comments please

 

I am considering buying the Butel software. Looking for user comments and suggestions.  Will it coexist with Sentinel on a Win 10 PC?  This is my first post and my radio should arrive later this week.  I am in Colorado Springs CO.

Marshall T.


Jim Adams
 

I use Butel and have never had any issues. HP laptop running Win10. Just remember to save everything before doing anything

On Monday, August 24, 2020, 12:40:15 PM PDT, Bob Turner <n2scj-lists@...> wrote:


It can be a little tricky keeping both Butel and Sentinal in sync. When you write to scanner with one, then read it back into the other before making changes with the other.  When you write it back then read back in the other.  It’s not the end of the world if you forget the write with one, read (and save) from the other routine.  You just might find something you changed In one undone by the other in areas they overlap.

 

Bob

 

From: main@Uniden.groups.io [mailto:main@Uniden.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marshall Tuttle
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 2:58 PM
To: main@uniden.groups.io
Subject: [Uniden] ARC536 Comments please

 

I am considering buying the Butel software. Looking for user comments and suggestions.  Will it coexist with Sentinel on a Win 10 PC?  This is my first post and my radio should arrive later this week.  I am in Colorado Springs CO.

Marshall T.


Manlius
 

“If a cat always lands on his feet and a piece of buttered bread always lands on the buttered side...what would happen if you strapped a piece of buttered bread to a cat and dropped it?”

The dog would catch the cat before it hit the floor!


azpowells
 

 LOL, and devour both !

 Wayne

On 8/24/2020 5:19 PM, Manlius via groups.io wrote:
“If a cat always lands on his feet and a piece of buttered bread always lands on the buttered side...what would happen if you strapped a piece of buttered bread to a cat and dropped it?”

The dog would catch the cat before it hit the floor!


Mike
 

I run both on the same computer, but not at the same time.  Joe M mentioned this, and I think he's right.  You would probably get a port conflict.  So, you will likely have to shut one down before starting the other.

I really liked Butel's software for the 396, so I bought it again for the 436.  As others have said, it takes extra care to keep both in sync, although that's not absolutely necessary as long as when you select one to use you are sure you put your latest programming in it, which can be taken from the radio at that time.
 
In my opinion, Sentinel makes it easier to add favorites lists.  You can use that feature to dump a lot of programming in the radio from Radio Reference easily without having to type it in.  It is also needed to update firmware, which I don't think Butel does at all.
 
I find Butel to be more user friendly.  Most of the functions are sort of right there in front of you when you go into a system.  With Sentinel, you have to know which subsection of the software to open up to do something.
 
Both have their advantages.  You could probably use only Sentinel and be able to do whatever you want.  But, I think it's convenient to have both, and then use whichever one is better for the task you want to do.  They will coexist on one computer when run one at a time.


Rich
 

i've had both up and running at the same time with no conflicts or other issues.

Rich via iPad

On Aug 25, 2020, at 06:13, Mike <mmmmcalendar@gmail.com> wrote:


I run both on the same computer, but not at the same time. Joe M mentioned this, and I think he's right. You would probably get a port conflict. So, you will likely have to shut one down before starting the other....


Marshall Tuttle
 

Thanks to all for advice and comments. Good to know there are knowledgeable 436 users out there.
Marshall T

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 12:49 PM Rich <rk911forums@...> wrote:
i've had both up and running at the same time with no conflicts or other issues. 

Rich via iPad

> On Aug 25, 2020, at 06:13, Mike <mmmmcalendar@...> wrote:
>
> 
> I run both on the same computer, but not at the same time.  Joe M mentioned this, and I think he's right.  You would probably get a port conflict.  So, you will likely have to shut one down before starting the other....




Joel Kahn
 

Marshall,
I use the ARC programs and Sentinel for my HP 1 & 2 radios(ARCPatrol) and my 436HP(ARC436/536). They both have advantages and disadvantages. They reside and play well together on my Windows10 laptop. I frequently have both running at the same time.

You need to use Sentinel to update the RR Database in the program and the radio.

While it can be done in Sentinel, I find the ARC program easier to create, update and edit my favorite lists.

You can download and try the ARC programs for free -limited time and functions.

Hope this helps.

Joel R Kahn

Comme dicté à mon chat et envoyé de mon ordinateur de bureau.
(As dictated to my cat and sent from my desktop computer.)



On Monday, August 24, 2020, 03:14:38 PM EDT, Marshall Tuttle <mtincos@...> wrote:


I am considering buying the Butel software. Looking for user comments and suggestions.  Will it coexist with Sentinel on a Win 10 PC?  This is my first post and my radio should arrive later this week.  I am in Colorado Springs CO.
Marshall T.


Jim Adams
 

As do I , I have an SDS100 and use both Sentinel and ARC software to program with. I have both programs running at the same time while I bump back and forth. Never had an issue. Took me a while to get the feel of Sentinel as its new to me

Happy scanning
Bday


On Aug 27, 2020, at 20:57, Joel Kahn <jrkahn@...> wrote:

Marshall,
I use the ARC programs and Sentinel for my HP 1 & 2 radios(ARCPatrol) and my 436HP(ARC436/536). They both have advantages and disadvantages. They reside and play well together on my Windows10 laptop. I frequently have both running at the same time.

You need to use Sentinel to update the RR Database in the program and the radio.

While it can be done in Sentinel, I find the ARC program easier to create, update and edit my favorite lists.

You can download and try the ARC programs for free -limited time and functions.

Hope this helps.

Joel R Kahn

Comme dicté à mon chat et envoyé de mon ordinateur de bureau.
(As dictated to my cat and sent from my desktop computer.)



On Monday, August 24, 2020, 03:14:38 PM EDT, Marshall Tuttle <mtincos@...> wrote:


I am considering buying the Butel software. Looking for user comments and suggestions.  Will it coexist with Sentinel on a Win 10 PC?  This is my first post and my radio should arrive later this week.  I am in Colorado Springs CO.
Marshall T.


JD
 

You asked for comments regarding ARC Butel so here is mine, altho not what some would like to hear. Really the only major problem I have ever had with a company regarding my scanning hobby. Long story short - I bought the full pro version of ARC500 for my Whistler 1065 radio, basically for the virtual control on my computer. Let me say here that I have bought their product 7 (seven) different times for various scanners and was always satisfied. I ran into a glitch, could not get the virtual radio on my screen no matter how I tried. I contacted Butel, the guy in the Radio Reference forums and outlined my problem. He told me to do what i had already done. I did, and no go, so he said I needed to reinstall my drivers. Done. Nada. Then the guy just actually ignored me. Would not answer private messages. A very demeaning and immature response. I have went with ProScan and immediately regretted not doing so  before. So my comment on ARC/Butel is not so good. Personally I boycott their products now and always suggest ProScan. Compare them yourself. ProScan blows ARC out of the water, price-wise, performance, and the customer service is fantastic. You won't be disappointed,.

On Friday, August 28, 2020, 9:04:44 PM EDT, Jim Adams via groups.io <blastdad51@...> wrote:


As do I , I have an SDS100 and use both Sentinel and ARC software to program with. I have both programs running at the same time while I bump back and forth. Never had an issue. Took me a while to get the feel of Sentinel as its new to me

Happy scanning
Bday


On Aug 27, 2020, at 20:57, Joel Kahn <jrkahn@...> wrote:

Marshall,
I use the ARC programs and Sentinel for my HP 1 & 2 radios(ARCPatrol) and my 436HP(ARC436/536). They both have advantages and disadvantages. They reside and play well together on my Windows10 laptop. I frequently have both running at the same time.

You need to use Sentinel to update the RR Database in the program and the radio.

While it can be done in Sentinel, I find the ARC program easier to create, update and edit my favorite lists.

You can download and try the ARC programs for free -limited time and functions.

Hope this helps.

Joel R Kahn

Comme dicté à mon chat et envoyé de mon ordinateur de bureau.
(As dictated to my cat and sent from my desktop computer.)



On Monday, August 24, 2020, 03:14:38 PM EDT, Marshall Tuttle <mtincos@...> wrote:


I am considering buying the Butel software. Looking for user comments and suggestions.  Will it coexist with Sentinel on a Win 10 PC?  This is my first post and my radio should arrive later this week.  I am in Colorado Springs CO.
Marshall T.


John Svensson
 

There are some rally informative you tube videos on using the Sentinel software

 

 

From: main@Uniden.groups.io <main@Uniden.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Adams via groups.io
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2020 17:12
To: main@uniden.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Uniden] ARC536 Comments please

 

As do I , I have an SDS100 and use both Sentinel and ARC software to program with. I have both programs running at the same time while I bump back and forth. Never had an issue. Took me a while to get the feel of Sentinel as its new to me

 

Happy scanning

Bday


On Aug 27, 2020, at 20:57, Joel Kahn <jrkahn@...> wrote:

Marshall,

I use the ARC programs and Sentinel for my HP 1 & 2 radios(ARCPatrol) and my 436HP(ARC436/536). They both have advantages and disadvantages. They reside and play well together on my Windows10 laptop. I frequently have both running at the same time.

 

You need to use Sentinel to update the RR Database in the program and the radio.

 

While it can be done in Sentinel, I find the ARC program easier to create, update and edit my favorite lists.

 

You can download and try the ARC programs for free -limited time and functions.

 

Hope this helps.

 

Joel R Kahn

 

Comme dicté à mon chat et envoyé de mon ordinateur de bureau.
(As dictated to my cat and sent from my desktop computer.)

 

 

 

On Monday, August 24, 2020, 03:14:38 PM EDT, Marshall Tuttle <mtincos@...> wrote:

 

 

I am considering buying the Butel software. Looking for user comments and suggestions.  Will it coexist with Sentinel on a Win 10 PC?  This is my first post and my radio should arrive later this week.  I am in Colorado Springs CO.

Marshall T.