Topics

Antenna Recommendation

Tim Ferguson

Any suggestions on a mobile antenna for a minivan to use with an SDS100? Just traded the pick up for a Pacifica. Had a high band antenna put on the truck that helped tremendously.

Thanks,
Tim

Joe M.

If you like the truck antenna, why not just put it in the van?
(or the same thing if you traded it with the truck)

Joe M.

On 11/20/2019 8:54 PM, Tim Ferguson wrote:
Any suggestions on a mobile antenna for a minivan to use with an SDS100? Just traded the pick up for a Pacifica. Had a high band antenna put on the truck that helped tremendously.

Thanks,
Tim

Don Curtis <Don.Curtis@...>

I have used a Larsen TriBand NMO mount for years. A bit pricey but a superb antenna.

Here's an example on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/i/372555516598

Or just Google Larson TriBand mobile antenna

Don

On November 20, 2019 7:05:23 PM "Tim Ferguson" <timlferg@...> wrote:

Any suggestions on a mobile antenna for a minivan to use with an SDS100? Just traded the pick up for a Pacifica. Had a high band antenna put on the truck that helped tremendously.

Thanks,
Tim

ROBERT Reynolds

Any ham antenna cut for 2 meters and 440 works great!

Bob
wb3dye

In a message dated 11/20/2019 9:05:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, timlferg@... writes:

Any suggestions on a mobile antenna for a minivan to use with an SDS100?  Just traded the pick up for a Pacifica.  Had a high band antenna put on the truck that helped tremendously.

Thanks,
Tim

Michael WA7SKG

Tram 1091-BNC Scanner Trunk/Hole Mount Antenna Kit with BNC-Male Connector

Free Ranges: 150mhz-174mhz VHF, 440mhz-490mhz UHF, 800mhz-1, 000MHz
18" Tall black-finish stainless steel Nmo mounting antenna with Gold plunger-type contact pin
Solid brass Nmo mount with gold-plated antenna contact pin & high-frequency fully enclosed, fully shielded, fully weatherized Zinc die-cast housing

I've used a number of these. From Amazon, around $30. It comes with a right angle mount you can use around a hood or trunk lid.

I have also used generic UHF center loaded antennas where I needed VHF-Lo, VHF-Hi, and UHF coverage. But that was years ago. Haven't needed VHF-Lo for some time and it doesn't work that well for 800.

HTH,
Michael

Tim Ferguson wrote on 11/20/19 5:54 PM:

Any suggestions on a mobile antenna for a minivan to use with an SDS100? Just traded the pick up for a Pacifica. Had a high band antenna put on the truck that helped tremendously.
Thanks,
Tim

Chris Sayles

Any suggestions on a low band vhf / 800mhz scanner antenna??

Chris

On Nov 21, 2019, at 2:42 AM, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:

[...]

Your best bet might be a ham antenna that covers 6M/2M/900 MHz. I believe such animals exist (if not, try 6M/2M/440 MHz). Just keep in mind that the more bands an antenna covers, the less efficient it will be on any one of them.

Worst case, use a diplexer and two antennas - one for Low Band and one for the higher frequencies. Just make sure the ports of the diplexer match the bands of the antennas. This actually may be the best performer since the antennas will be more efficient and the diplexer loss should be insignificant.

Joe M.

On 11/22/2019 12:09 AM, Chris Sayles wrote:
[...]

Shawn Benoit

The Austin Spectra is good.

I used it with a triplexer and a several mobiles without issue. The lownband radiator has to be trimmed. In my case I ended to use 46.18/22 often so I trimmed it for 46.2. The top whip was only 5" and the overall antenna we about 36". Works well but it's not very flexible.

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 02:23 Chris Sayles <csayles@...> wrote:
Any suggestions on a low band vhf / 800mhz scanner antenna??

Chris

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 2:42 AM, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:
>
> Tram 1091-BNC Scanner Trunk/Hole Mount Antenna Kit with BNC-Male Connector
>
>    Free Ranges: 150mhz-174mhz VHF, 440mhz-490mhz UHF, 800mhz-1, 000MHz
>    18" Tall black-finish stainless steel Nmo mounting antenna with Gold plunger-type contact pin
>    Solid brass Nmo mount with gold-plated antenna contact pin & high-frequency fully enclosed, fully shielded, fully weatherized Zinc die-cast housing
>

> I've used a number of these. From Amazon, around $30. It comes with a right angle mount you can use around a hood or trunk lid.
>
> I have also used generic UHF center loaded antennas where I needed VHF-Lo, VHF-Hi, and UHF coverage. But that was years ago. Haven't needed VHF-Lo for some time and it doesn't work that well for 800.
>
> HTH,
> Michael
>

> Tim Ferguson wrote on 11/20/19 5:54 PM:
>> Any suggestions on a mobile antenna for a minivan to use with an SDS100?  Just traded the pick up for a Pacifica.  Had a high band antenna put on the truck that helped tremendously.
>> Thanks,
>> Tim

ja moran <analon1@...>

I get antennas from Talley Communications great service
you can get the NMO mounts with a magnetic base

what I did was maxe an inverted U using 3 pieces of aluminum angle irons 1/8 inch thick.  I screwed one section to the left and righ side of the truck and pan he other section between the uprights.  In or 7the section that is parallel to the truck, I drilled the 3/4 holes amd mounted the NMO antennas....   If you get antennas with a spring or that flex a litle it makes it easier to go through drivethrough or into garages or park under canopies.

I have 6 antennas along the back of the truck.  Different antennas for different wavelengths.  I also have several radios

most of the services I monitor are on 460mhz or 750/850mhz   the 460 mhz antenna works for both

150 300 450 600 750 900  for these he same antenna works well

technology is nice when it works! ---         Engineers SOLVE PROBLEMS....Unix: Solaris AIX  HP-HPUx Linux  +++;analon/FREGGS farms too 602-909-5280

On Friday, November 22, 2019, 02:40:21 AM MST, Shawn Benoit <shawnbenoit@...> wrote:

The Austin Spectra is good.

I used it with a triplexer and a several mobiles without issue. The lownband radiator has to be trimmed. In my case I ended to use 46.18/22 often so I trimmed it for 46.2. The top whip was only 5" and the overall antenna we about 36". Works well but it's not very flexible.

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 02:23 Chris Sayles <csayles@...> wrote:
Any suggestions on a low band vhf / 800mhz scanner antenna??

Chris

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 2:42 AM, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:
>
> Tram 1091-BNC Scanner Trunk/Hole Mount Antenna Kit with BNC-Male Connector
>
>    Free Ranges: 150mhz-174mhz VHF, 440mhz-490mhz UHF, 800mhz-1, 000MHz
>    18" Tall black-finish stainless steel Nmo mounting antenna with Gold plunger-type contact pin
>    Solid brass Nmo mount with gold-plated antenna contact pin & high-frequency fully enclosed, fully shielded, fully weatherized Zinc die-cast housing
>

> I've used a number of these. From Amazon, around $30. It comes with a right angle mount you can use around a hood or trunk lid.
>
> I have also used generic UHF center loaded antennas where I needed VHF-Lo, VHF-Hi, and UHF coverage. But that was years ago. Haven't needed VHF-Lo for some time and it doesn't work that well for 800.
>
> HTH,
> Michael
>

> Tim Ferguson wrote on 11/20/19 5:54 PM:
>> Any suggestions on a mobile antenna for a minivan to use with an SDS100?  Just traded the pick up for a Pacifica.  Had a high band antenna put on the truck that helped tremendously.
>> Thanks,
>> Tim

Mark Lassman

Sure, the Austin Spectra is “good”. But, is it over $100 better than the Larsen tri-band, which is only $30? I don’t think so.

Don Safer

Check out a discone. I suggest the Diamond D-130J or NJ depending on the connector. Avoid the MFJ brand if mounted outside.

Don
KC6IPO

Any suggestions on a low band vhf / 800mhz scanner antenna??

Chris

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 2:42 AM, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:
>
> Tram 1091-BNC Scanner Trunk/Hole Mount Antenna Kit with BNC-Male Connector
>
>    Free Ranges: 150mhz-174mhz VHF, 440mhz-490mhz UHF, 800mhz-1, 000MHz
>    18" Tall black-finish stainless steel Nmo mounting antenna with Gold plunger-type contact pin
>    Solid brass Nmo mount with gold-plated antenna contact pin & high-frequency fully enclosed, fully shielded, fully weatherized Zinc die-cast housing
>

> I've used a number of these. From Amazon, around $30. It comes with a right angle mount you can use around a hood or trunk lid.
>
> I have also used generic UHF center loaded antennas where I needed VHF-Lo, VHF-Hi, and UHF coverage. But that was years ago. Haven't needed VHF-Lo for some time and it doesn't work that well for 800.
>
> HTH,
> Michael
>

> Tim Ferguson wrote on 11/20/19 5:54 PM:
>> Any suggestions on a mobile antenna for a minivan to use with an SDS100?  Just traded the pick up for a Pacifica.  Had a high band antenna put on the truck that helped tremendously.
>> Thanks,
>> Tim

Donald Lambert <banjodhl@...>

Don;

What do you find is the problem with a MFJ discone, I have been looking at them in their catalog and was thinking of purchasing one?

don/k0kuz

ZUT

Thought for the week:

No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
-Mark Twain-

Without CW it's just CB
-Jess-
Any and all communications herein are the sole property of the email sender and originator. Any electronic intercept of this communication constitutes a violation of 50 U.S.C. § 1861(b)(2) of The Patriot Act. The use of this information in informal or formal proceedings, charges, investigations or indictments is strictly prohibited and rendered null and void if obtained without a warrant."
-------------------------------

On Friday, November 22, 2019, 11:13:46 AM PST, Don Safer <dlsafer@...> wrote:

Check out a discone. I suggest the Diamond D-130J or NJ depending on the connector. Avoid the MFJ brand if mounted outside.

Don
KC6IPO

Any suggestions on a low band vhf / 800mhz scanner antenna??

Chris

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 2:42 AM, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:
>
> Tram 1091-BNC Scanner Trunk/Hole Mount Antenna Kit with BNC-Male Connector
>
>    Free Ranges: 150mhz-174mhz VHF, 440mhz-490mhz UHF, 800mhz-1, 000MHz
>    18" Tall black-finish stainless steel Nmo mounting antenna with Gold plunger-type contact pin
>    Solid brass Nmo mount with gold-plated antenna contact pin & high-frequency fully enclosed, fully shielded, fully weatherized Zinc die-cast housing
>

> I've used a number of these. From Amazon, around $30. It comes with a right angle mount you can use around a hood or trunk lid.
>
> I have also used generic UHF center loaded antennas where I needed VHF-Lo, VHF-Hi, and UHF coverage. But that was years ago. Haven't needed VHF-Lo for some time and it doesn't work that well for 800.
>
> HTH,
> Michael
>

> Tim Ferguson wrote on 11/20/19 5:54 PM:
>> Any suggestions on a mobile antenna for a minivan to use with an SDS100?  Just traded the pick up for a Pacifica.  Had a high band antenna put on the truck that helped tremendously.
>> Thanks,
>> Tim

GM7BNF

Stick up the biggest ham 2m/70cm dualband 5/8 on 5/8 co-linear vertical you can.

Always far out performs even the diamond

Mike de GM7BNF

Check out a discone. I suggest the Diamond D-130J or NJ depending on the connector. Avoid the MFJ brand if mounted outside.

Don

KC6IPO

Any suggestions on a low band vhf / 800mhz scanner antenna??

Chris

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 2:42 AM, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:
>
> Tram 1091-BNC Scanner Trunk/Hole Mount Antenna Kit with BNC-Male Connector
>
>    Free Ranges: 150mhz-174mhz VHF, 440mhz-490mhz UHF, 800mhz-1, 000MHz
>    18" Tall black-finish stainless steel Nmo mounting antenna with Gold plunger-type contact pin
>    Solid brass Nmo mount with gold-plated antenna contact pin & high-frequency fully enclosed, fully shielded, fully weatherized Zinc die-cast housing
>

> I've used a number of these. From Amazon, around $30. It comes with a right angle mount you can use around a hood or trunk lid.
>
> I have also used generic UHF center loaded antennas where I needed VHF-Lo, VHF-Hi, and UHF coverage. But that was years ago. Haven't needed VHF-Lo for some time and it doesn't work that well for 800.
>
> HTH,
> Michael
>

> Tim Ferguson wrote on 11/20/19 5:54 PM:
>> Any suggestions on a mobile antenna for a minivan to use with an SDS100?  Just traded the pick up for a Pacifica.  Had a high band antenna put on the truck that helped tremendously.
>> Thanks,
>> Tim

Don Safer

In which case I would consider the Diamond X-200 or X-50.

Don
KC6IPO
===================================

Stick up the biggest ham 2m/70cm dualband 5/8 on 5/8 co-linear vertical you can.

Always far out performs even the diamond

Mike de GM7BNF

Check out a discone. I suggest the Diamond D-130J or NJ depending on the connector. Avoid the MFJ brand if mounted outside.

Don

KC6IPO

Any suggestions on a low band vhf / 800mhz scanner antenna??

Chris

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 2:42 AM, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:
>
> Tram 1091-BNC Scanner Trunk/Hole Mount Antenna Kit with BNC-Male Connector
>
>    Free Ranges: 150mhz-174mhz VHF, 440mhz-490mhz UHF, 800mhz-1, 000MHz
>    18" Tall black-finish stainless steel Nmo mounting antenna with Gold plunger-type contact pin
>    Solid brass Nmo mount with gold-plated antenna contact pin & high-frequency fully enclosed, fully shielded, fully weatherized Zinc die-cast housing
>

> I've used a number of these. From Amazon, around $30. It comes with a right angle mount you can use around a hood or trunk lid.
>
> I have also used generic UHF center loaded antennas where I needed VHF-Lo, VHF-Hi, and UHF coverage. But that was years ago. Haven't needed VHF-Lo for some time and it doesn't work that well for 800.
>
> HTH,
> Michael
>

> Tim Ferguson wrote on 11/20/19 5:54 PM:
>> Any suggestions on a mobile antenna for a minivan to use with an SDS100?  Just traded the pick up for a Pacifica.  Had a high band antenna put on the truck that helped tremendously.
>> Thanks,
>> Tim

Don Safer

Hi Don,

The MFJ discone tends to fall apart in a wind from what I have read. They work well in an attic.

Don
KC6IPO
==================================

Any suggestions on a low band vhf / 800mhz scanner antenna??

Chris

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 2:42 AM, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:
>
> Tram 1091-BNC Scanner Trunk/Hole Mount Antenna Kit with BNC-Male Connector
>
>    Free Ranges: 150mhz-174mhz VHF, 440mhz-490mhz UHF, 800mhz-1, 000MHz
>    18" Tall black-finish stainless steel Nmo mounting antenna with Gold plunger-type contact pin
>    Solid brass Nmo mount with gold-plated antenna contact pin & high-frequency fully enclosed, fully shielded, fully weatherized Zinc die-cast housing
>

> I've used a number of these. From Amazon, around $30. It comes with a right angle mount you can use around a hood or trunk lid.
>
> I have also used generic UHF center loaded antennas where I needed VHF-Lo, VHF-Hi, and UHF coverage. But that was years ago. Haven't needed VHF-Lo for some time and it doesn't work that well for 800.
>
> HTH,
> Michael
>

> Tim Ferguson wrote on 11/20/19 5:54 PM:
>> Any suggestions on a mobile antenna for a minivan to use with an SDS100?  Just traded the pick up for a Pacifica.  Had a high band antenna put on the truck that helped tremendously.
>> Thanks,
>> Tim

Brian (N2MLP)

there a very cheap construction

Gigu chan

  I vote  for the D130J as well….  I know they  do work well in the attic..  I’ve had mine outside as well with no issues..  cant hurt to see what other experiences  people may have had

Any suggestions on a low band vhf / 800mhz scanner antenna??

Chris

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 2:42 AM, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:
>
> Tram 1091-BNC Scanner Trunk/Hole Mount Antenna Kit with BNC-Male Connector
>
>    Free Ranges: 150mhz-174mhz VHF, 440mhz-490mhz UHF, 800mhz-1, 000MHz
>    18" Tall black-finish stainless steel Nmo mounting antenna with Gold plunger-type contact pin
>    Solid brass Nmo mount with gold-plated antenna contact pin & high-frequency fully enclosed, fully shielded, fully weatherized Zinc die-cast housing
>

> I've used a number of these. From Amazon, around $30. It comes with a right angle mount you can use around a hood or trunk lid.
>
> I have also used generic UHF center loaded antennas where I needed VHF-Lo, VHF-Hi, and UHF coverage. But that was years ago. Haven't needed VHF-Lo for some time and it doesn't work that well for 800.
>
> HTH,
> Michael
>

> Tim Ferguson wrote on 11/20/19 5:54 PM:
>> Any suggestions on a mobile antenna for a minivan to use with an SDS100?  Just traded the pick up for a Pacifica.  Had a high band antenna put on the truck that helped tremendously.
>> Thanks,
>> Tim

Gigu chan

I agree  with that…  in my experience  they hold up well.  Although something commercial might be a better move.

  What would be a better solution? A vertical?

From: "Chris Sayles" <csayles@...>
To: main@uniden.groups.io
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 21:09:55 -0800

Any suggestions on a low band vhf / 800mhz scanner antenna??

Chris

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 2:42 AM, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:
>
> Tram 1091-BNC Scanner Trunk/Hole Mount Antenna Kit with BNC-Male Connector
>
>    Free Ranges: 150mhz-174mhz VHF, 440mhz-490mhz UHF, 800mhz-1, 000MHz
>    18" Tall black-finish stainless steel Nmo mounting antenna with Gold plunger-type contact pin
>    Solid brass Nmo mount with gold-plated antenna contact pin & high-frequency fully enclosed, fully shielded, fully weatherized Zinc die-cast housing
>

> I've used a number of these. From Amazon, around $30. It comes with a right angle mount you can use around a hood or trunk lid.
>
> I have also used generic UHF center loaded antennas where I needed VHF-Lo, VHF-Hi, and UHF coverage. But that was years ago. Haven't needed VHF-Lo for some time and it doesn't work that well for 800.
>
> HTH,
> Michael
>

> Tim Ferguson wrote on 11/20/19 5:54 PM:
>> Any suggestions on a mobile antenna for a minivan to use with an SDS100?  Just traded the pick up for a Pacifica.  Had a high band antenna put on the truck that helped tremendously.
>> Thanks,
>> Tim

KA9QJG

Discone antennas  were  designed By the Military  because of  needing  to transmit on many freqs . Two way radio shops use them  to receive and transmit to test  radios . In ham radio We use them because they  are  broadband   and the SWR Is low . Not much gain but the secret is to get it up high and use  good low loss coax like LMR-400   many are made and if you plan on putting it outside  get the ones that use the stainless steel parts and solid elements ..  Below is a site   you  can read the reviews  of people who have used them . I see someone   said just get a  Tri band ham ant.   That’s ok if you want to use it on ham freqs they are very narrow band with for those freqs a Discone is broadband and better  for a scanner  depending on what you are trying to hear . The higher the freqs  coax loss is a factor I had a 60m ft tower and a  discone on top with  80 ft of small RG-58 Coax  picked up pretty good until I tried to receive  a 800mhz freq 10 miles away it was noisy and only  S-1 on a icom R-7000 Receiver .

I opened up a  paper clip to about 3 inches and put that in the antenna port and it was 30 on the meter  sounded great lesson learned  about coax loss …RG-6 Cable type coax it great to it is 75 ohm but that is ok for a scanner  Tip  do not try and solder  a connector on it will melt the foam and short out use a good adapter like Amphenol .   The best antenna we can use in Scanning is one that is tuned for the freqs  We want to monitor .

Happy Scanning , I  Started over 60yrs ago using an old tube type regency tunable  radio with a vibrator power supply .. We have come a long way but it’s a Wonderful Hobby   First PD calls I heard on an old floor model shortwave radio that was tuned just above  the Am Broadcast band . New York ,  Chicago  California …

Don KA9QJG

Discone Reviews

https://www.eham.net/reviews/search-category?page=1&per-page=10