additional antenna for a BC75XLT

Lloyd Leonard

I WOULD LIKE TO  boost the signal strength received, and have seen remote antennas advertised on Amazon for $20 +/-

Should these work OK ...... I believe they have magnetic bases

I listen to the chat on a local railroad , 161.00 to 162.00

thanks

Bernard Skoch

If you are truly just interested in 161-162, I'd recommend an antenna specifically for that frequency.

How far away are the transmitters/trains?

GM7BNF

Any outside aerial will out perform the rubberduck on a scanner.

From: main@Uniden.groups.io <main@Uniden.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lloyd Leonard
Sent: 20 May 2022 01:59
To: main@Uniden.groups.io
Subject: [Uniden] additional antenna for a BC75XLT

I WOULD LIKE TO  boost the signal strength received, and have seen remote antennas advertised on Amazon for $20 +/-

thanks

David O'Banion

I use a Tenma 72-6601 or Workman WEPA2 telescopic antenna on my scanners.    
There are many similar items available, but some aren't as sturdy 
(that's a relative term, because no such antenna can tolerate much mechanical stress).    

If your scanner has an SMA connector, get a "low profile" adapter like the Diamond BNCJ-SMAP.    
Don't use one that doesn't screw down onto the body of the radio --- having a broken SMA replaced wouldn't be cheap!    

David   
KJ6QKV   

On Thursday, May 19, 2022, 05:59:19 PM PDT, Lloyd Leonard <lleonard1978@...> wrote:

thanks

Curt Underwood

BNC VHF150-162 Professional from Scannermaster is well worth the price!

On May 19, 2022, at 7:59 PM, Lloyd Leonard <lleonard1978@...> wrote:

thanks

Don

Hi Lloyd,

A normal scanner "base" antenna mounted outside on the roof or pole/mast will do. If the ones you looked at have "magnetic bases" they are meant to stick to a car or truck but you could sit them on a window sill if you cannot do an outside antenna. 

Railroad comms can be hard to hear sometimes as the "dispatcher" may select a transmitter near the train/crews he/she wants to talk to. Same for the trains - they do not have a powerful transmitter and locomotive antennas are very short/small. So sometimes you need to be near the tracks (and trains!) to hear anything. 

I am only 1.5mi from the tracks here and it is rare to hear the train crews. I do hear the local switching loco and dispatcher when he/she wants to talk to a train in this section OK as well as several trackside defect detectors and FRED/EOT devices. I use an all frequency vertical dipole type antenna on about a 16ft mast/pole outside. 

$20 sounds too cheap to me.

You could make a low cost indoor antenna yourself. You can use just about any wire - even a metal coat hanger or house type wiring. Connect about 18in to the center of a coax and the same length to the outside shield of the coax. Make a small loop at the end of the wire connected to the center of the coax. Use that end to hang the antenna from the top inside of the window frame with a hook. Will look like a T on it's side. Run the coax to your scanner. How much can that cost? No shipping/tax/waiting.

Cheers,

Don  KPC6NDB   

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thu, May 19, 2022 7:59 pm

thanks

Don Safer

Hi Lloyd
Since you mention "remote" and "Magnetic bases" I trust you mean a magnetic mount antenna connected via coax cable with a BNC connector so that you may place it on the roof or perhaps the trunk of your car. I suggest you consider the Hustler brand RUM-150B which is ~45 inches tall. If that is too tall then the Hustler UGM which is ~17 inches tall. The UGM is tunable to a specific frequency by cutting it to the proper length using the frequency/length chart that comes with it. I prefer Ham Radio Outlet ( www.hamradio.com ).

Don
KC6IPO
===========================================

---------- Original Message ----------
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 17:59:08 -0700

thanks

Russ

I WOULD LIKE TO  boost the signal strength received,
You could build a J pole antenna. They are pretty simple. Check Youtube.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J-pole_antenna