SDS-100 Charging

KA9QJG

I  hope everyone is Staying Safe and Healthy ,  Thought I would share an observation with My SDS-100 A few months ago  I posted  how I had  used a Motorola  Microphone Mic holder  mounted to the dash of my vehicle it holds  the radio great ,   I used  a lighter plug USB  for charging  it was  by the Air condition vent .I noticed it was taking a very long time to charge   and the Green Led  did not light . I felt the radio and it was Hot. . So I took it away from the cold air vent and remounted it and it charged up fine. So the charging circuit I believe it being controlled by the feedback Cold or Hot from the scanner.

Well this evening it was a little warm in my radio room I had a small fan blowing toward my desk, I put the scanner  not to far away from the fan . I noticed  the  Charge led was   taking a long time to go to green charge,  I felt the radio after a couple of hours it was  hot to the touch,   So I let the scanner cool down moved the fan and it charged fine .  So I would recommend charging the Scanner in a normal temp area. I believe in my experience that if Cold

or Hot air is on the scanner it affects the rate of charge sensor, rather be safe and not over charge because the radio is cool

Everyone Stay Safe and Healthy Don KA9QJG

Jeff Lastname

Just bough SDS-100 and I'm afraid to charge the unit with battery inside so will buy external charger and extra battery. Unit does get very hot and probably will last longer using external charger. Only drawback is the flimsy design of the radio, which has the latch on the bottom you have to open and close. It can easily break and then requires a replacement part. I think the way they designed the radio is awful. The radio reception and features on the screen are excellent, but the design is really lousy. Also the antenna doesn't fit standard SMA antennas like the Diamond SRH77CA. I was sold this antenna since it should have fit, but due to Uniden's design of the antenna mount and the desire to keep it water proof the standard SMA antenna doesn't fit. You have to use the SMA/BNC converter and that results in losing the water proof design. I still like the radio but just wish they had worked out these issues first. Maybe they will in a redesign.

Joel Kahn

This is just another reason why I only charge the batteries for my various radios using a MaHa charger and not in the radio

Joel R Kahn

On Saturday, August 22, 2020, 02:57:56 AM EDT, KA9QJG <ka9qjg@...> wrote:

[...]

JD

My SDS100 has been plugged in (usb) and perched on a metal stand for over a year now - 12-14 hrs a day and in a hard leather case from Scanner Master. No heat no worries. In fact, I have not had any problems with my SDS100 or my SDS200 that was not my fault. I snapped the battery compartment clip and  Uniden send me a new one. My big Uniden Problem. They were on it like a duck on a June bug. Great radios.

I do not work for, nor am I affiliated with the Uniden Corporation.

On Sunday, August 23, 2020, 12:09:01 PM EDT, Jeff Lastname via groups.io <cowtipper9@...> wrote:

[...]

Manlius

Regarding the SMA connection and the battery door latch, if you’re at all active on FB, join the “Uniden BCD436HP / BCD536HP / SDS200 / SDS100 Scanner Owner’s Group” and look for Johnathan Wienke. He makes well thought out high quality components that will take care of both of these issues, in addition to performing modifications, such as internal GPS units for both the 436 and SDS100’s and high capacity battery upgrade for the 436. His work is top drawer and the prices are very reasonable.

As far as the heat issue and charging on the SDS100, mine is almost always plugged in (bought mine a few months before the battery upgrade was shipped). Never a problem.  From what I’ve read, they seem to like being a bit warm.

burbank@...

My SDS-100 gets quite warm but I don't think it's charging that generates all that heat. I've always assumed it's the CPU which does a lot of work when the scanner is turned on. I don't think you should hesitate to charge the battery while it's in the scanner.

burbank@...

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 05:43 PM, JD wrote:
I snapped the battery compartment clip and  Uniden send me a new one.
JD. This is great news. I thought if I break my clip I'd have to send the unit in for repair.

Joe M.

Correct on the heat.

It's always better to charge outside the scanner.

Joe M.

On 8/24/2020 8:14 AM, burbank via groups.io wrote:
My SDS-100 gets quite warm but I don't think it's charging that
generates all that heat. I've always assumed it's the CPU which does a
lot of work when the scanner is turned on. I don't think you should
hesitate to charge the battery while it's in the scanner.

Joe M.

When using the clip, make sure of two things:

1. Make sure the battery compartment is FULLY seated.

2. Press on the END of the clip (not the middle).

That will help prevent breaking it.

Joe M.