Topics

Alkaline Cells – A Comparison To NiMH And NiCds

Douglas Dersch

I've been using NiZn for years. 2800mWh. Current ones are from 2016 in there and they seem to be lasting a long time in years and in run down. They are particularly good for that last 30% of their charge where they still have plenty of power to run the electronics. (I do write the year on them when I buy them to keep track of the older ones.) I also use them in microphones as they last a good number of hours where other rechargeables drop below the 1.5 volt really fast.

So one vote for NiZn.

azpowells

Agreed.

 Wayne

On 3/1/2020 4:57 PM, Joe M. wrote:
The issue would be three times worse: (3 cells)

NIZn = 4.8V to 5.75V
Uniden = 3.6V to 4.5V

My NiMH cells will usually not exceed 4.1V total.

I would not use NIZn based on that. And only 1500 mAH capacity?
FAR better off using NiMH which will last twice as long.

Joe M.

On 3/1/2020 6:46 PM, Joel Kahn wrote:
The literature says NIZn batteries output is 1.6v to 1.75v, but only has
1500 Mah.

Will this adversely affect the power circuits in a Uniden radio that was
designed for
 >1.5v?

and how long will 1500Mah last compared to 2700Mah now in the radio?

I only buy my batteries from Thomas Distributing and they do not stock
NIZn, The couple of places that do sell them are in Euros.

They also say my Maha intelligent charger will not work for NIZn?

Joel R Kahn

Joe M.

Sorry. Make that 5.25V, so...

The issue would be three times worse: (3 cells)

NIZn = 4.8V to 5.25V

On 3/1/2020 6:57 PM, Joe M. wrote:
The issue would be three times worse: (3 cells)

NIZn = 4.8V to 5.75V
Uniden = 3.6V to 4.5V

My NiMH cells will usually not exceed 4.1V total.

I would not use NIZn based on that. And only 1500 mAH capacity?
FAR better off using NiMH which will last twice as long.

Joe M.

On 3/1/2020 6:46 PM, Joel Kahn wrote:
The literature says NIZn batteries output is 1.6v to 1.75v, but only has
1500 Mah.

Will this adversely affect the power circuits in a Uniden radio that was
designed for
>1.5v?

and how long will 1500Mah last compared to 2700Mah now in the radio?

I only buy my batteries from Thomas Distributing and they do not stock
NIZn, The couple of places that do sell them are in Euros.

They also say my Maha intelligent charger will not work for NIZn?

Joel R Kahn

Joe M.

The issue would be three times worse: (3 cells)

NIZn = 4.8V to 5.75V
Uniden = 3.6V to 4.5V

My NiMH cells will usually not exceed 4.1V total.

I would not use NIZn based on that. And only 1500 mAH capacity?
FAR better off using NiMH which will last twice as long.

Joe M.

On 3/1/2020 6:46 PM, Joel Kahn wrote:
The literature says NIZn batteries output is 1.6v to 1.75v, but only has
1500 Mah.

Will this adversely affect the power circuits in a Uniden radio that was
designed for
>1.5v?

and how long will 1500Mah last compared to 2700Mah now in the radio?

I only buy my batteries from Thomas Distributing and they do not stock
NIZn, The couple of places that do sell them are in Euros.

They also say my Maha intelligent charger will not work for NIZn?

Joel R Kahn

Joel Kahn

The literature says NIZn batteries output is 1.6v to 1.75v, but only has 1500 Mah.

Will this adversely affect the power circuits in a Uniden radio that was designed for
>1.5v?

and how long will 1500Mah last compared to 2700Mah now in the radio?

I only buy my batteries from Thomas Distributing and they do not stock NIZn, The couple of places that do sell them are in Euros.

They also say my Maha intelligent charger will not work for NIZn?

Joel R Kahn

Comme dicté à mon chat et envoyé de mon Android.
(As dictated to my cat and sent from my Android.)

On Saturday, February 29, 2020, 02:55:03 PM EST, Evan Platt <evan@...> wrote:

Wondering why they didn't compare NiZn's.. Pricier, but they last
longer. You need a NiZn charger too but still. Awesome batteries.

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 11:42 AM Queen Nanu <news@...> wrote:

> “Resistance is NOT futile… it’s E/I!”
> While alkaline cells generally more energy per-cell than rechargeable types (NiMH or NiCd) this energy may not be accessible to the appliance using that cell – particularly if it is a device that draws a lot of current.
>
> Let's do a detailed comparison
>
> https://prezhost.com/2020/02/22/alkaline-cells-a-comparison-to-nimh-and-nicds/

Evan Platt