From: main@Uniden.groups.io <main@Uniden.groups.io> on behalf of Wayne Smith <n6lhv@...>
Sent: Thursday, 28 May 2020 7:28 AM
To: main@Uniden.groups.io <main@Uniden.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Uniden] Bio’s?

Friends,

Since we are doing bios, here's mine.

In 1970, at the age of 9, I bought my first receiver.  It was a portable
radio with AM/FM/VHF-Lo/VHF-Hi and no squelch (argh!).  I had to upgrade
in the next couple of years to a Radio Shack "Patrolman" tunable because
it had UHF-T band (for LA City Fire and eventually LA Police).  At one
time, I had more than a dozen crystal scanners.  I wrote my first
article for the RCMA Journal in 1978; it was a program (in BASIC and in
Fortran) that generated the specific details on how to program the
BC-101 for the proper 12.5kHz steps in the 162-174 band.  I was
eventually on the RCMA Board of Directors and ran the annual survey for
a few years.  I'm an active member of the Southern California Monitoring
Association now.  I've helped coordinate radio work for three parades,
including the Tournament of Roses and Hollywood Christmas Lane Parade.

My favorite listening has always federal and military communications
(yes, I know, that's mostly in the past).  At one time I had VOX
cassette tape recordings of three presidents (Nixon, Ford, and Carter)on
non-secure calls; two of them on Echo/Foxtrot (UHF, air) and the other
on Yankee/Zulu (VHF, limo).  Since the early 2000s, many of the business
listings, especially for trunked business systems for Southern
California, on RadioReference originated from me.  I'm a regular at
local air shows.

The most transformative radios I ever had were the BC-210 and the
BC-100.  The most useful radio I've ever owned still is the AOR-3000A.
I've had well over 40 scanners/receivers and have about half of them
still in working condition.

On the amateur radio side, most of my present focus is on the AREDN Mesh
network at 2.4GHz and above.

Best,

Wayne Smith, Ph.D.
N6LHV