Re: Bio’s?

Wayne Smith

Friends,

Since we are doing bios, here's mine.

In 1970, at the age of 9, I bought my first receiver.  It was a portable radio with AM/FM/VHF-Lo/VHF-Hi and no squelch (argh!).  I had to upgrade in the next couple of years to a Radio Shack "Patrolman" tunable because it had UHF-T band (for LA City Fire and eventually LA Police).  At one time, I had more than a dozen crystal scanners.  I wrote my first article for the RCMA Journal in 1978; it was a program (in BASIC and in Fortran) that generated the specific details on how to program the BC-101 for the proper 12.5kHz steps in the 162-174 band.  I was eventually on the RCMA Board of Directors and ran the annual survey for a few years.  I'm an active member of the Southern California Monitoring Association now.  I've helped coordinate radio work for three parades, including the Tournament of Roses and Hollywood Christmas Lane Parade.

My favorite listening has always federal and military communications (yes, I know, that's mostly in the past).  At one time I had VOX cassette tape recordings of three presidents (Nixon, Ford, and Carter)on non-secure calls; two of them on Echo/Foxtrot (UHF, air) and the other on Yankee/Zulu (VHF, limo).  Since the early 2000s, many of the business listings, especially for trunked business systems for Southern California, on RadioReference originated from me.  I'm a regular at local air shows.

The most transformative radios I ever had were the BC-210 and the BC-100.  The most useful radio I've ever owned still is the AOR-3000A.  I've had well over 40 scanners/receivers and have about half of them still in working condition.

On the amateur radio side, most of my present focus is on the AREDN Mesh network at 2.4GHz and above.

Best,

Wayne Smith, Ph.D.
N6LHV