Re: SDS100 Upgrades?

Evan Platt

Where I work, we have a number of sites - geographically distant -
Palo Alto, Newark, Pleasanton, etc. Our radio system is DMR, fully
encrypted, and many talkgroups work at all sites, some are site
specific. They also use the Motorola WAVE LTE radio for staff that may
not always be near a site. Those WAVE radios work pretty well.

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 5:16 PM Chris Quirk via groups.io
<w6cjq=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

For those of us that have been around we have seen this move before. It was called Nextel and depending on where you were geographically it worked pretty well. For years PD carried Nextel phones with PTT to be used as a tac channel. A couple of departments did put their main dispatch channel on Nextel as a test.

So why did it never evolve?

The decision makers trust assets that they own and have control over. Make no mistake the COMs will look more like a cell service than a 2 way radio in the future, however it will be years before 5G or anything else replaces a middle to large sized departments or agency radio system.

The Nextel channels were also not recorded and some agencies felt this was an unreasonable risk to the department.

There was always a fear that a nationwide network could be seized or taken down by a un friendly entity and that agencies did not want to put 100 % trust in any 1 system

In California we still have large areas with no cell coverage and trunked systems would be very costly to build out and have no real advantage as the amount of air traffic is fairly low for a lot of these rural agencies. (90/5/5)

The Highway patrol uses primarily low band, some UHF and some 700 Mhzs. They would have to build 1000s of sites to cover the areas they serve.

State parks and regional parks have stayed away from trunk due to cost of the number of cells required to make it work and stick with repeaters in from lowband to 800 Mhzs.

Chris Quirk
W6CJQ
WQXZ997
925 202 1198

On Friday, May 15, 2020, 10:21:14 AM PDT, Timothy Jackson via groups.io <tmjackso=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Verizon is really pushing their network as supporting first responders, and the push to 5G is also all about public safety/first responder support. I’m curious if the future is actually 5G networks over Verizon/AT&T/Sprint/T-Mobile to replace these trunked radio systems. Any thoughts on that?

On May 15, 2020, at 9:55 AM, Patrick Gauen via groups.io <p_gauen=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

As newspaper reporter in scanner-equipped car, one night I heard increasingly frantic state police dispatchers worried for trooper who stopped responding to radio after a traffic stop. Help was a ways off. I knew that on my route home I’d pass his location in a minute or two. I was able to call district headquarters are assure them the officer was on his feet and doing fine.

On May 15, 2020, at 2:00 AM, Mark Lassman via groups.io <kb6kgx=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Interesting story. My daughter graduated from Berkeley two years ago. I stayed at the Durant a couple of times while visiting her on weekends.

On May 14, 2020, at 3:43 PM, don robinson via groups.io <don_551=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Any information can be abused. Many years ago, when a terrorist took several blondes hostage in the Durant Hotel in Berkeley, Ca, the crook gained intellectual advantage watching the NEWS on TV in Henri's bar in the hotel. Back then I used a Radio Shack PRO-38 10 channel scanner and it worked fine. The police on the scene told less than the news reporters on TV.

These days Berkeley encrypts a couple of their channels. If my town goes to phase II, I'll need a new scanner, but if they encrypt, like you said, I'm out of the game. But, I'd love to be able to phone the cops and say "I see the guy you're looking for hiding under that dump truck you just passed by".

Stay well.

On Thursday, May 14, 2020, 12:26:35 PM PDT, Joe M. <mch@...> wrote:

You could say P25 "ruined it", or digital "ruined it", or
narrowbanding "ruined it". Any required newer scanners.

Yes, encryption will ruin it for everyone since upgrades are not legal.

P25 Phase II did not ruin it for me. I purchased a P25 Phase II capable
scanner and continue to monitor those areas.

Joe M.

On 5/14/2020 2:50 PM, don robinson via groups.io wrote:

But, for us little guys, it meant replacing our analog
trunking scanners with digital trunking scanners- not cheap either.
Phase II ruined it for some of us. Encryption will ruin it for all of us.