Re: Encryption

don robinson

I thought legalizing weed was supposed to cut down on crime. Maybe they're chasing communists insurgents now. I'll give up when I see streetwalkers sporting SDS-100s tucked down their hot pants. There's an old saying, "Get a new tool and you'll find more stuff that needs fixing".

On Thursday, May 14, 2020, 03:56:40 PM PDT, Jeff Kenyon <jkenyon7@...> wrote:

Hi Don, I’ve noticed that a lot of stuff in Colorado including Denver has been encrypted.  All the agencies to encrypt seemed to spring up out of nowhere, and were agencies that even though on trunked systems for many years.

On May 14, 2020, at 6:30 PM, Don Curtis <Don.Curtis@...> wrote:

There are privacy issues that are addressed via encryption.  I have been listening to police calls since the early 60's.  I was a Denver Police officer for 26 years, retired in 1997.

I understand the desire to have dispatch channels in the clear, but I agree with the need for encryption even on the main dispatch channel.   Authentic news media have always been able to buy radios that are programed by the safety radio engineers that can decrypt the main dispatch channel.   And pretty much anyone can get (for a nominal fee) unencrypted audio from past events.

On May 14, 2020 4:05:33 PM "jeff" <jeffm1977@...> wrote:

I still blame the scanner apps on the phones and live feeds. I'm sure criminals love scanner apps. I'm all for encryption, but the normal day to day operations should not be encrypted. Only tac channels, swat, drug enforcement, and other sensitive stuff should be encrypted.

Sent from Xfinity Connect Application