Re: Searching BCD436HP database

Rick NK7I

In the old days, multiple entries was a method used to fake 'priority' of some channels, just put them into more spots to hear them faster, but now we deal with lists, entirely different.

There may be some duplication of frequencies when you group your favorites as counties, if there is a wider area system being monitored.  Each such group enabled would cause duplication.  Some of those systems may even cross state lines as well (i.e. Yellowstone Nat'l Park is in three states, several counties).  That should cause no listening 'harm' in most cases, unless they are particularly chatty, which questions their need to be heard (avoid, repeat as needed).

It is doubtful that Sentinel will filter out duplicates in these cases, because it doesn't know which favorite you'll use at any moment.  Likewise, a scanner won't either.

(A truly 'smart' scanner wouldn't program favorite lists as frequencies, but as hooks into the full database, so that when the database is updated, all the favorites update without user intervention.  Then include what was manually added.)

I appreciate the efforts of RR and the admin staff, they do a terrific job.  Not to hijack this thread but I would still like to see a RR database sort posted for all the frequencies used by federal agencies grouped together by discipline (BLM, BIA, NFS, NPS, USFS).  Then include that database sort, into Sentinel outside the current state lists (make a Fed list in addition to state, not break it to only within the state/territory).  It would greatly simplify programming for 'fire season'.

The reason is that traveling crews/equipment often utilize their 'home' channels, no matter where they are working (fire crews, aircraft, strike teams) and those home channels are not listed as local, so wouldn't currently be included for programming.  Having all known channels for an agency would make for simpler programming without the user digging through every possible place they'd come from.

Thanks!

Rick NK7I

On 5/11/2020 8:45 AM, ron ski via groups.io wrote:
Sometimes people can get frequencies and talkgroups interchanged, they are different as we know.

On the radioreference admin side as I'm an admin, if there are duplicate talkgroups in the same system, it will 'flag' these and we will know.

Frequencies; likely will be duplicated, but you have to take note if they have different PL-DPL's. If they are the same frequencies and PL-DPL's in the same city or county, send a submission to radioreference on the frequency page in question to get it looked into and/or corrected.

In Michigan I have gone through every county in the state and fixed and removed duplicated frequencies I think last year.
They do exist, but likely not in MI. :)

On 5/11/2020 9:54 AM, sckeith@... wrote:
New to the BCD436HP and I was looking but didn't finding anything. Is there a way to search through the scanner database to look for duplicate frequencies?

Thanks