Re: bcd436hp

ja moran <analon1@...>

ah how technology has changed
I've worked on an IBM 24 card punch, a Tabulator (chunky line printer that also did some math,
an IBM 360, a Univac 1100,  a VAX, a PowerPC, a Sun E10K,, Sun 6500, 3300, Blade,  HP-9000/Hp-UX,  IBM rs-6000/AIX. Apple II, IBM-PC,  Those clunky and chunky disk packs and reel-to-reel tapes were lots of fun.
as were the DLT and DAT tapes.  Was nice when the autoloaders came out and you no longer had to be "tape monkey"  When stuff like autosys got deployed made my job in operations much easier. Ah and my college calculator was the HP-41 :) <wink>

Now I work as a sytems engineer for a well known financial services company   

as far as scanners go I went from the bearcat  and Regency 20 channel to the AOR and now uniden radios that  have a few thousand channels.  and can be driven by a GPS to automatically monitor what is local to where you are.  

JOHN

technology is nice when it works! ---         Engineers SOLVE PROBLEMS..Unix: Solaris AIX  HP-HPUx Linux  Analon/FREGGS FARMS grapes, eggs,birds  602-909-5280

On Monday, April 20, 2020, 7:45:36 PM MST, Maggie/Tom O’Connor <maggie-o@...> wrote:

I love these stories!  Esp the IBM 360/370... I worked on those!

Sent: Monday, April 20, 2020 7:41 AM
Subject: Re: [Uniden] bcd436hp

In 1979 I went to work for Data General in Westboro, MA.  I built computers and tested them before shipping to customers.  The part of the factory where they made core memory was really hopping.  They had big machines that pressed out memory core toroids like aspirin and a whole bunch of Portuguese ladies who wove them together with fine enameled copper wires into core memory elements.  The computers I worked on used single or dual drive 8-inch single sided floppies with 315 K-Bytes per floppy and a fully loaded computer had 32K or RAM.  You could run a small business off a dual floppy-drive using two dumb terminals.

So I've seen 8" single sided 315 KB floppies, 8" double-sided, double density 1.2 MB floppies, 720 KB 5 1/4" floppies, 720 KB 3 1/4" floppies and 1.44 MB floppies.

The first disk drive a computer had in the line I built was a removable platter 14" 2 MB disk with a fixed 2 MB permanently mounted in the drive for a grand total of 4 MB.

Times have certainly changed.  I'm holding a 1 TB backup drive in my hand right now that's got a tiny little 2.5" disk drive in it - and that's considered small these days.  You can get 4 TB drives now for what a box of 8" floppies cost in today's dollars.

Bob - W1TAB

RR db admin, Massachusetts

Join main@Uniden.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.