Re: bcd436hp

azpowells

 Yes Joe I have been scanning for 60 + years . Both Crystal and Binary code scanning at the begining . Many changes and like Jim said it is always good to try to learn how to manually tweak the settings as it is not only handy but gives you a better insight as to how it all works & connects the dots. Happy scanning all.

 Wayne P.

On 4/17/2020 11:15 AM, Joe M. wrote:
One thing Jim didn't mention is the learning curve. A brief anecdote:

Back in the 80s, I learned radio programming on GE software (anyone remember them?). Then when GE's delivery times got ridiculous (more than a whole year from order to delivery - REALLY!) I had to learn Motorola software. You would think programming one brand vs another would be simple. NOT SO! It was almost like learning from scratch again.
Software came on 5.25" floppy disks back then. (anyone remember those?)

A few key concepts for Motorola:
A "mode" is what most call a "channel".
A "codeplug" is what most call a "file" or "programming".
CG (Channel Guard) became PL (Private Line). (both are just CTCSS)

I won't even get into "templates". I'm sure Jim knows those too well.

So I can appreciate the fact that even Jim knows Motorola (assuming) software, Sentinel is a completely different animal.

This is also true with scanner software from different authors. That is why I have such little input on scanner SW recommendations and "which is best". The "best" is what you know for the most part. That's not to say it is the best overall, but it is the best *for you*.

Joe M.

On 4/17/2020 1:58 PM, Jim Walls wrote:
On 04/17/2020 10:38, Bernie Burawski wrote:
You are right that the scanners are getting more difficult to program,
but you then have to study the directions carefully; I just don't like
to have to read a long narrative and study the procedures until I feel
comfortable programming. Scanning is getting more and more complicated
and that won't change,.

That is a true statement.  Scanners are more complicated because the
radio systems are more complicated.  If you think that programming your
scanner is hard, try real radios.  I run a regional trunked system for a
living, and writing codeplugs for various radios is a major part of my
job.  The only advantage that we have is that we have KNOWN CORRECT
information - as opposed to what scanner users often have, which is only
partially right (or in many cases, flat out wrong) information on
frequencies, talkgroups, etc.  When I bought my SDS100, I programmed the
system I run into it first from what RadioReference had, but then spent
hours fixing it.  For me that was largely academic since I have multiple
radios on the system, but it helped me learn the Sentinal software and
the scanner.