Re: crypto comm

richardson_ed

Paul seemed to miss the point regarding the necessity for training and practising.  Deploying first responders with any tool or piece of equipment without proper knowledge and training is dangerous and could lead to someone getting injured or worse killed. Not just radios but any tool.

I don’t totally disagree with the “press to talk-release to listen” mentality.  The radio is a communication tool that should be second nature for the user. Yes radios are far more feature packed today compared to the 1974 era radio. However the basics remain unchanged. In my area the radios were deliberately made simple and most of the “advanced” user features were disabled. The user simply selects their channel/talkgroup, adjust the volume and “press to talk-release to listen”. The magic goes on behind the scene, transparent to the user.

  • Every time the user transmits, the GPS coordinates of the portable or mobile radio is sent to dispatch.
  • The users signals are received at 4 different receive sites and the beast quality signal is sent to dispatch and repeated via the repeaters.
  • The radio ID or an alias shows up on the dispatch screen so that source of a transmission can be identified, even if the user can not talk.
  • The trunked system prevents other users from transmitting over top of the first person talking.
  • The users can activate an “emergency” button if required. This will activate the microphone on the radio, send the gps location, and notify the dispatcher that the user requires priority assistance.
  • The dispatcher can override a long winded talker to voice a message that may be time sensitive.
  • The dispatcher can broadcast messages on multiple channels simultaneously.
  • Channels can be patched together to bring users from different areas or agencies all together on one channel.
  • Portable radio Battery time is vastly improved on the new digital platform.
  • Portable radios are smaller, lighter and more reliable than their previous devices.
  • All communications are encrypted,

Yes the new systems  are complex. But when designed with multiple redundancies, no single point of failures, the end result is a more reliable system than the old 1974 era platform.

The end user still has pretty much the same experience. “press to talk-release to listen”

The training I referred to was knowing what channel/talkgroup  to use during an interagency event or how/when to activate their “emergency” button. Proper communication protocol, use of phonetics, etc. Also learning about the radio system they are using and any potential weakness or features can only help the end user.

Whether the radios are trunked, or conventional, analog or digital,  encrypted or clear, should all be immaterial to the end user. All they care is that it must be reliable. All communication systems marketed for public safety are designed to be more reliable, safer and feature rich than those even 10 years ago. The actual implementation of these systems is where the problem start.  Usually because of cost cutting.

On the other hand, acceptance of defective product or substandard radio network performance should not be tolerated. Engineers, manufacturers and state  or local officials that permit this to occur must be held accountable.

Change is not always good, not always welcome, but it is inevitable.

Paul, I am glad you were able to retire, hopefully safely and in good health. Thank you for your public service. BTW, my comments are based on spending 20+ years working with police, fire and ems field staff and listening to what they want and need. Thousands of years of real world experiences in our community. Our needs may be different than yours, but they are sound and valid.

Ed