Re: crypto comm

Jeff Kenyon

Agreed, some places like in North Dakota, and some places down south go as far as encrypting public works and parks and rec.  I noticed that in a lot of areas around Chicago they’ve encrypted, but not in Chicago itself.  I’ve noticed that a lot of places down south more then anywhere else they do a lot of encryption.  In a couple of weeks I’ll be going to see my mom and she lives in Louden County Tennessee.  The last few years I’ve been down there they have had some encryption, bbut upon checking rr it looks like both police and fire are encrypted now full time?  On the county law talkgroups encryption would come and go but not on fire/EMS.  I’ll let everyone know, but I don’t know what to expect there.  I know that all law enforcement in Knox County is encrypted, and that is the nearest major city she is near.  What are people doing in places that have a lot of encryption who want most of the coms to be in the clear?  There never has been any posts anywhere to indicate any activity that has taken place as far as protesting the encryption.

On Nov 10, 2019, at 9:26 PM, Rich <rk911forums@...> wrote:

i spent nearly 30-yrs working in and managing a large consolidated 9-1-1 center in suburban chicago.  can't recall any incidents in which the bad guys used a scanner to evade police.  the criminals aren't that smart.

tactical, warrant service, fugitive apprehension and the like should absolutely be encrypted 24/7.  the rest, not so much.

Rich via iPad

On Nov 10, 2019, at 17:58, Walter C. Powis, Sr <wcpowissr@...> wrote:

Just a personal thought. After spending many years in communications, security and such, I am convinced that there are some things that the general public has absolutely no need to know! Just my 2 cents!!
W3WP

From: don robinson via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2019 6:10 PM
To: main@Uniden.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Uniden] crypto comm

Our officers go to their cell phones when things get so risky.

On Sunday, November 10, 2019, 09:58:41 AM PST, Shawn Benoit <shawnbenoit@...> wrote:

That sounds like a huge training issue. Not a problem with encryption.

Most people who demand things to be in the clear seem to have some issues with authority. They are also the same people who say things like "I pay your salary" or "the taxpayers MUST be able to hear the police." They also spout off bout conspiracy theories about their local police.

The officers need encryption for secure communications. There are all sorts of reasons why for example the following things are common over the air:

-victim info (sexual/Juvenile/domestic violence)
-NCIC (CJIS protected)
-Key holder info
-Suspect names (NOT proven convicted people)
-Officer locations/calls
-Officer to officer discussions (trying to figure out options/enforcement)
-Medical info/conditions

This goes on. These guys are being attacked on a regular basis. The least we can do is give them secure comms which is dirt cheap and included in just about every radio off the shelf nowadays.

Also, question why you hold grudges with your local police and think they owe you something.

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 21:51 jim myers <kd7eir@...> wrote:
We have about 9 LE agencies in my county. ONE of them insists on being encrypted 24/7. A few years ago they had an officer chasing a suspect across several municipalities. None of the other agencies could communicate with them in real time, and by the time their dispatch called the agency that he was currently chasing his suspect through with his location, several minutes had passed, and he was nowhere neat that location. Sadly, he was found shot in the head at the end of a road part way up a mountain.

At the time this happened, they were also on a standalone communications system that isolated them from ALL other LE agencies in the county. They finally decided to join the shared radio system, but STILL insist upon 24/7 encryption for their talkgroups. They are still the ONLY encrypted agency. They can switch to a shared, unencrypted, mutual channel if they need assistance. The last time they needed help, no one in their department know what channel to switch to...