Re: P25 for Cheap

Jim Walls

On 11/10/2019 15:29, don robinson via Groups.Io wrote:
I wish you would have talked to my city before they dumped their Johnson Edacs radios for P25 Motorola equipment, spending $20 million to start, then another $20 million to make the new radios finally work.

EDACS was a proprietary format of GE (later acquired by Ericsson then Harris) (not Johnson).  It became unsupported shortly after Harris bought the company.  It was old, unsupported, and not compatible with anybody else.  It needed to go.  By going with P-25, your city had the ability to go with any one of several manufacturers.  Because the old field radios were EDACS radios, they all had to be replaced in order to use the new open standard.  A forklift replacement of almost any system (computers, radio, trash truck, whatever) costs money - that's reality.

Jim Walls - K6CCC
jim@...
Ofc:  818-548-4804
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/k6ccc/