Re: SDS Radios

Joe M.

If you are in Cleveland (or any other urban area) or very close to a busy tower, the unit will scan slower due to RF saturation. If you are in a rural area, it will scan faster.

Joe M.

On 9/3/2021 11:13 AM, John C. Lowe wrote:
Hi Joe,
Please give me an example of “RF Environment”. I am in North East Ohio and there’s plenty of listening from Cleveland, to the east and to the western suburbs.
Thanks!

On Sep 3, 2021, at 10:53 AM, Joe M. <mch@nb.net> wrote:

That depends on your RF environment (for any scanner).

Joe M.

On 9/3/2021 10:45 AM, John C. Lowe wrote:
To Dewey: I keep reading in these threads that the SDS’s scan slower.
Just how much slower and is it recognizable enough to make a difference?
Thanks,
Gianni

On Sep 3, 2021, at 9:59 AM, Kurt WA3TOY via groups.io
<http://groups.io> <arswa3toy=verizon.net@groups.io
<mailto:arswa3toy=verizon.net@groups.io>> wrote:

Be aware that a lot of the Eastern Shore is going encripted.

Sent from the all new AOL app for Android
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aol.mobile.aolapp>

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 9:27, Bob Stern via groups.io
<http://groups.io>
<bobbystern=me.com@groups.io <mailto:bobbystern=me.com@groups.io>>
wrote:
Dewey and anyone else:

Forgive my ignorance. I just moved to Maryland from Pennsylvania.
All my scanners are older analog models. They served me well in PA
but are limited here.

My primary counties of interest are Queen Anne’s and PG. Am also
interested in all Eastern Shore counties. I am living in QAC and
have relative PO in PG.

Which handheld scanner should I buy?
Would the Home Patrol work?

I no longer have windows computers for programming.

Thanks,

Bobby

——-
I think you'll get differing opinions, but my personal opinion,
worth what you're paying for it, is that the SDS' biggest,
biggest, biggest, biggest difference is the simulcast reception,
what the SDS was designed for. I know that has been said many many
times already, but I'm a firm believer after personally
experiencing the difference on the PG County, MD
(https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6341) TDMA system.
Other than that, the x36 series scans faster, but the SDS has the
highly customizable screens.

Dewey