Re: P25 for Cheap

derek <derek@...>

It's all fun and games when it's someone else's money.

-------- Original message --------
From: "don robinson via Groups.Io" <don_551@...>
Date: 11/10/19 5:30 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@Uniden.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Uniden] P25 for Cheap

I wish you would have talked to my city before they dumped their Johnson Edacs radios for P25 Motorola equipment, spending $20 million to start, then another $20 million to make the new radios finally work.

On Sunday, November 10, 2019, 12:05:38 PM PST, Jim Walls <jim@...> wrote:

On 11/10/2019 08:41, don robinson via Groups.Io wrote:
> It's all been added struggle since digital was forced on cities of
the US.

Where do people get this idea?  No one was forced to go digital -
period.  Narrowband yes by 1/1/2013 for VHF high and UHF (but not for
VHF low or 800 - and 900 already was narrowband), but no requirement to
go to digital.

> Then they had to replace  or modify their equipment to motorola
monopoly radios and transmitters and they didn't work without modification

Say what?  If they are analog, they can use anybody's radios.  If an
agency went digital, they most likely went with the P-25 standard. This
is an open standard and anybody CAN build equipment to the P-25 standard
- and essentially all the major manufacturers do.  This is a huge
advantage because you are NOT locked into a specific radio
manufacturer.  I run a regional P-25 trunking system for a living. We
have radios from Harris, Kenwood, Tait, EF Johnson, and Motorola (maybe
more that I am not remembering or aware of).  They all work just fine
without any modification on our system.

> more millions $$$$ must be spent annually to maintain and update that
same equipment.

Uh, ANY radio system needs to be maintained.  So do the user radios.
Nothing new here except that the newer radios are far faster and easier
to maintain.  We can fully tune a portable radio in about six minutes -
hook it up to the service monitor, push the AutoTune button and when it
beeps, it's fully aligned.  As for the infrastructure, the system will
tell us about most problems, and many repairs or re-configurations can
be done without ever leaving the Radio Shop.

Jim Walls - K6CCC
jim@...
Ofc:  818-548-4804
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/k6ccc/