Re: Recording

David O'Banion

I haven't used the DAR-101 for almost six years,
and I don't remember how many hours fit on a card,
but suffice it to say the number is a LOT.
(Maybe 45 or so on a 16 GB?)
The highest capacity card it can handle is 32GB.
It has VOX, which Sangean calls VAR.
If I remember correctly, recordings are Not time-stamped.
Power is 4 AA cells or 9 volts AC --- not DC.
I have always wanted to try using DC (it should work) but never got around to it.

Because you want to go mobile, power (plus a few other things) might present difficulty,
so maybe a different recorder would be better for you.
Look at the Tascam DR-05 and all others you can find.

My primary use for the recorder was the Gold Coast Net (goldcoastnet.com),
a weekly 2-meter gathering that was and still is a lot of fun,
rather than 911 calls and the like.
Those I consider disposable --- if I don't hear them when they happen, they're of no value to me.

Probably one of the most interesting things I ever recorded with the Sangean
was the live audio (countdown, etc.) of a SpaceX launch from Vandenbeg AFB,
which is about a 20 minute drive from where I live.
It was on a frequency I didn't know about until maybe the day before, if not the same day,
so catching it at all was a lucky thing.

David
KJ6QKV

On Thursday, July 2, 2020, 09:25:33 AM PDT, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:

I also have been looking for a good recorder for my BCT15X. Glad this
works for you. Some questions, please.

How much recording time on a 32GB at 192kHz?

Does it have an autostart/VOX mode to just record when it hears audio or
is it just continuous record?

Are the recordings timestamped?

How is it powered? I want to use it mobile.

Is there a downloadable manual? I went to the Sangean site, but get a
"404  file not found" error for the file.

I understand the BCT15X has a programming feature to select which
channels output audio to the record jack, but I haven't found how to
program that. Any advice?

Thanks,
Michael