Re: P25 for Cheap

Joe M.

I agree if by "Won’t be long" you mean "NEVER".

There are a few issues preventing this.

1. The manufacturers will never make decryption available. It would never pass FCC Type Acceptance for a consumer product since it would violate FCC rules.

2. The manufacturers will never try to pull one over on the FCC because they would be making products intended to violate FCC law. Any manufacturer who tries this will soon be out of business due to FCC fines which would escalate with each violation. Nobody has pockets that deep - especially to pacify a bunch of scanner users.

3. Let's say the above is wrong and they can add decryption. You really think the system owner is going to give YOU the key? Without that, you can try 1 key per second and still never find the right one in your lifetime. If it were that simple there would be PC software that would decrypt.

Again, never gonna happen. Not in a commercial consumer product.

Joe M.

On 11/9/2019 8:11 PM, huntwildturkey8254 via Groups.Io wrote:
Won’t be long, and scanner companies will be making encrypted radio
scanners.
BJN

On Nov 9, 2019, at 19:02, KA9QJG <KA9QJG@comcast.net> wrote:

Robert . That was very well said I have been the Communications
over 50 yrs US Navy , Law Enforcement , 911 Dispatcher and Ham
Radio, I live in N/W Indiana near Chicago and had to buy tie
expensive Uniden SDS-100 Just to hear My local PD/FD and some is
Encrypted ,And I have worked in Law Enforcement Yes in some cases it
is needed, But not for general Communications .. We actually have a
few FB groups that are listen and posting Live incidents with Audio
and Video and Pictures , This is very dangerous and illegal . Also if
you have enough money and want a Motorola APX radio that the PD use
just go to E bay and other places some will even program the radios
for add More money and Yes you can get the Encryption too . Just do
not get caught Even if the Scanners companies would make decoders
it is still illegal for us to Monitor unless We are Authorized by
the System administrator of any system

Happy Scanning while We can

Don KA9QJG

Ps in Working Law Enforcement and a 911 Communications Dispatcher
Many yrs ago I know of many cases where a Scanner listener have
called and helped out many times , one time when We has a Sgt call for
help His battery was almost dead and the Dispatcher did not hear
him, But a scanner listener a block away did and called the
dispatcher and was able to get him the help he needed saving his
life and catching the alleged bad guys ,of course this was the good
ol analog days With the New Digital you either hear it or you don’t
when the battery gets weak…

From: Shawn Benoit <shawnbenoit@gmail.com>

Date: 11/9/19 14:45 (GMT-06:00)

To: main@uniden.groups.io

I'm pro encryption for police and EMS communications. Nothing will
change that even though it's a hobby and I like to listen.

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 13:09 Joe M. <mch@nb.net <mailto:mch@nb.net>>
wrote:

Is that because crime only happens at the
police station and doesn't affect communities?

Do you not care that you will be late to work because
there is an accident blocking your normal route?

Do you not care that you will be ADDING
to the problem (traffic) in the above case?

Are you fine with going to the mall when
there is an active shooter in the area?

If there is a felon loose in your neighborhood,
are you OK letting your kids go out to play?

A FOIA request will not solve any of these cases.
Encryption will not alert you to these cases.
Only clear communications will let you know WHEN you need to know it.

Joe M.