From: Tim Ferguson <tferg53@...>
Date: 6/10/20 10:09 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@uniden.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Uniden] Can anyone about laws on scanner

So the people that provide scanner feeds via the Internet can be held responsible, too, if their feed was used by a criminal committing a crime to monitor where the police are while committing the crime?

Tim Ferguson

On Jun 10, 2020, at 6:29 PM, Stephen Krug <skrug4@...> wrote:

Here is what I found:

Scanners are legal to use anywhere in the state of Illinois. ... Per federal law, it is illegal everywhere in the U.S. to intentionally monitor pagers, phone communications of any type, or to unscramble any encrypted communications.Nov 22, 2008

§ 8-4-059. Possession of scanners illegal.

Latest version.
  • (a)   Whenever used in this section, the word “scanner” means a radio set or apparatus (1) capable of receiving, transmitting, or both receiving and transmitting radio messages or signals within the wavelength or channel now or hereafter assigned by the Federal Communications Commission or its successor for use by law enforcement agencies; or (2) that may intercept or interfere with the transmission or reception of radio messages or signals by the department of police.

    (b)   No person shall use a scanner in such a way as to interfere with messages transmitted or received by the department of police. No person shall use a scanner to aid or abet the performance of any act in violation of any law or ordinance. The use of a scanner to aid or abet any illegal act shall be an offense separate and distinct from such illegal act.

    (c)   Any person who violates this section shall be subject to a fine of not less than $200.00 and not more than $500.00.

(Added Coun. J. 7-14-93, p. 35538)

On Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 6:19:26 PM CDT, Tim Ferguson <tferg53@...> wrote:

Please don’t sigh, Joe, I have A.D.D., and often miss pertinent information that others already know, from keeping up with what has already been said.  My apologies for making you go out of your way....:-)

Tim Ferguson