Topics

How to avoid sites ?

Dan Ruhe

I'm very new to the SDS series of radios. My SDS200 is performing way above expectations, with that said I'm have an issue (operator). On several of my systems I have sites programmed that I am out of range of and I would like to avoid / lock them out. I've searched RadioReference plus Google with no joy. I'm thinking I need to assign a quick key for the sites. If this is the case can the quick key be the same as the system quick key ?

Thanks in advance

--Dan KE3UC--

Joe M.

Yes, Quick Keys are the easiest and fastest way.

They can be the same as System Quick Keys.

Site Quick Keys are SHARED with Departments, so they cannot be duplicated unless you want a Site and Department to both toggle together.

Joe M.

On 2/10/2019 4:31 PM, druhe@... [SDS200] wrote:

I'm very new to the SDS series of radios. My SDS200 is performing way
above expectations, with that said I'm have an issue (operator). On
several of my systems I have sites programmed that I am out of range of
and I would like to avoid / lock them out. I've searched RadioReference
plus Google with no joy. I'm thinking I need to assign a quick key for
the sites. If this is the case can the quick key be the same as the
system quick key ?

Thanks in advance

--Dan KE3UC--

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Dan Ruhe

Thanks Joe,

What would the button sequence be to lock a site ? If System A is SQK 1 and I want to lock out Site 1 & 2 , Im a tad confused

Joe M.

Assuming a FL Quick Key of 5...

5.1.1 ENTER
5.1.2 ENTER

(after you assign the two sites QKs of 1 and 2.)

Generally speaking, I like to use the site number as the Site Quick Key.
For MADRN, that would be 26 to 30 for your area.
For the new State system, 35, 36, etc.

Joe M.

On 2/10/2019 5:44 PM, druhe@... [SDS200] wrote:
Thanks Joe,

What would the button sequence be to lock a site ? If System A is SQK 1 and I want to lock out Site 1 & 2 , Im a tad confused

Dan Ruhe

I'm understanding that, Thanks. Now with ICORRS I have each county as a separate system but I have all the sites in every system the same. EX:

Somerset FLQK 1 , Westmoreland FLQK 2, etc

Sites:

Armstrong 1
Butler 2
Fayette 3
Indiana 4
Somerset 5
Seward 6
Westmoreland East 7
Westmoreland West 8

If I understand this correctly, button sequence to lock out Armstrong in the Somerset system:

1.1 Enter

Joe M.

Close.

It would be 1.(Som SysQK).1

BTW, I have all the sites in the 90s (gonna have to change that if it keeps growing), and I have all the single-digit DQKs for the most used, then 10-89 as various other county TGs (10s/20s/30s Westmoreland, 40s Armstrong, 50s Indiana, 60s Fayette, 70s Somerset, and 80s Lawrence)

Yes, Butler is going to again require a reconfig of that - I'll likely put Lawrence and Somerset in the same set (70s).

So I can, in one System, control the sites and Departments independently. This leads to much faster scanning over site duplication in various county-based systems. This will work if you want to mix-n-match what you are monitoring. If you only monitor one county at a time, your way might be better if you want the TGs monitored and the sites controlled together.

Joe M.

On 2/10/2019 6:48 PM, druhe@... [SDS200] wrote:

I'm understanding that, Thanks. Now with ICORRS I have each county as a
separate system but I have all the sites in every system the same. EX:

Somerset FLQK 1 , Westmoreland FLQK 2, etc

Sites:

Armstrong 1
Butler 2
Fayette 3
Indiana 4
Somerset 5
Seward 6
Westmoreland East 7
Westmoreland West 8

If I understand this correctly, button sequence to lock out Armstrong in
the Somerset system:

1.1 Enter

Dan Ruhe

Ugh

I have FLQK 1 assigned to Somerset and SQK 99 assigned to Butler.  I push 1 and it goes to Quick Key Navigation then push .99 Enter and I get error beep and nothing. I know its something simple just not seeing it

On 02/10/2019 18:58, MCH mch@... [SDS200] wrote:

Close.

It would be 1.(Som SysQK).1

BTW, I have all the sites in the 90s (gonna have to change that if it
keeps growing), and I have all the single-digit DQKs for the most used,
then 10-89 as various other county TGs (10s/20s/30s Westmoreland, 40s
Armstrong, 50s Indiana, 60s Fayette, 70s Somerset, and 80s Lawrence)

Yes, Butler is going to again require a reconfig of that - I'll likely
put Lawrence and Somerset in the same set (70s).

So I can, in one System, control the sites and Departments
independently. This leads to much faster scanning over site duplication
in various county-based systems. This will work if you want to
mix-n-match what you are monitoring. If you only monitor one county at a
time, your way might be better if you want the TGs monitored and the
sites controlled together.

Joe M.

On 2/10/2019 6:48 PM, druhe@... [SDS200] wrote:

> I'm understanding that, Thanks. Now with ICORRS I have each county as a
> separate system but I have all the sites in every system the same. EX:
>
> Somerset FLQK 1 , Westmoreland FLQK 2, etc
>
> Sites:
>
> Armstrong 1
> Butler 2
> Fayette 3
> Indiana 4
> Somerset 5
> Seward 6
> Westmoreland East 7
> Westmoreland West 8
>
> If I understand this correctly, button sequence to lock out Armstrong in
> the Somerset system:
>
> 1.1 Enter

Joe M.

When you press the first 9, what does it show on the System QK line?
(it should show, among other things, a 9 in that line)

Make sure System 99 is not AVOIDed.

Joe M.

On 2/10/2019 8:11 PM, druhe druhe@... [SDS200] wrote:

[...]

S9:

On 02/10/2019 20:17, MCH mch@... [SDS200] wrote:

When you press the first 9, what does it show on the System QK line?
(it should show, among other things, a 9 in that line)

Make sure System 99 is not AVOIDed.

Joe M.

On 2/10/2019 8:11 PM, druhe druhe@... [SDS200] wrote:

> Ugh
>
> I have FLQK 1 assigned to Somerset and SQK 99 assigned to Butler. I
> push 1 and it goes to Quick Key Navigation then push .99 Enter and I get
> error beep and nothing. I know its something simple just not seeing it
>

> On 02/10/2019 18:58, MCH mch@... [SDS200] wrote:
>>
>> Close.
>>
>> It would be 1.(Som SysQK).1
>>
>> BTW, I have all the sites in the 90s (gonna have to change that if it
>> keeps growing), and I have all the single-digit DQKs for the most used,
>> then 10-89 as various other county TGs (10s/20s/30s Westmoreland, 40s
>> Armstrong, 50s Indiana, 60s Fayette, 70s Somerset, and 80s Lawrence)
>>
>> Yes, Butler is going to again require a reconfig of that - I'll likely
>> put Lawrence and Somerset in the same set (70s).
>>
>> So I can, in one System, control the sites and Departments
>> independently. This leads to much faster scanning over site duplication
>> in various county-based systems. This will work if you want to
>> mix-n-match what you are monitoring. If you only monitor one county at a
>> time, your way might be better if you want the TGs monitored and the
>> sites controlled together.
>>
>> Joe M.
>>
>> On 2/10/2019 6:48 PM, druhe@... [SDS200] wrote:
>> >

>> > I'm understanding that, Thanks. Now with ICORRS I have each county as a
>> > separate system but I have all the sites in every system the same. EX:
>> >
>> > Somerset FLQK 1 , Westmoreland FLQK 2, etc
>> >
>> > Sites:
>> >
>> > Armstrong 1
>> > Butler 2
>> > Fayette 3
>> > Indiana 4
>> > Somerset 5
>> > Seward 6
>> > Westmoreland East 7
>> > Westmoreland West 8
>> >
>> > If I understand this correctly, button sequence to lock out Armstrong in
>> > the Somerset system:
>> >
>> > 1.1 Enter

Joe M.

Also make sure the involved FL is selected for scanning (under SET SCAN SELECTION then SELECT LISTS TO MONITOR).

I was assuming it was, but I want to try to cover all the bases.

Joe M.

On 2/10/2019 8:17 PM, MCH mch@... [SDS200] wrote:
[...]

------------------------------------
Posted by: MCH <mch@...>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

---
https://www.avg.com

Dan Ruhe

Everything is on

On 02/10/2019 20:21, MCH mch@... [SDS200] wrote:

Also make sure the involved FL is selected for scanning (under SET SCAN
SELECTION then SELECT LISTS TO MONITOR).

I was assuming it was, but I want to try to cover all the bases.

Joe M.

On 2/10/2019 8:17 PM, MCH mch@... [SDS200] wrote:
> When you press the first 9, what does it show on the System QK line?
> (it should show, among other things, a 9 in that line)
>
> Make sure System 99 is not AVOIDed.
>
> Joe M.
>
> On 2/10/2019 8:11 PM, druhe druhe@... [SDS200] wrote:
>>

>> Ugh
>>
>> I have FLQK 1 assigned to Somerset and SQK 99 assigned to Butler. I
>> push 1 and it goes to Quick Key Navigation then push .99 Enter and I get
>> error beep and nothing. I know its something simple just not seeing it
>>

>> On 02/10/2019 18:58, MCH mch@... [SDS200] wrote:
>>>
>>> Close.
>>>
>>> It would be 1.(Som SysQK).1
>>>
>>> BTW, I have all the sites in the 90s (gonna have to change that if it
>>> keeps growing), and I have all the single-digit DQKs for the most used,
>>> then 10-89 as various other county TGs (10s/20s/30s Westmoreland, 40s
>>> Armstrong, 50s Indiana, 60s Fayette, 70s Somerset, and 80s Lawrence)
>>>
>>> Yes, Butler is going to again require a reconfig of that - I'll likely
>>> put Lawrence and Somerset in the same set (70s).
>>>
>>> So I can, in one System, control the sites and Departments
>>> independently. This leads to much faster scanning over site duplication
>>> in various county-based systems. This will work if you want to
>>> mix-n-match what you are monitoring. If you only monitor one county at a
>>> time, your way might be better if you want the TGs monitored and the
>>> sites controlled together.
>>>
>>> Joe M.

> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: MCH
> ------------------------------------
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>

> ---
> https://www.avg.com

Joe M.

There should be something beside S9: (either dashes or stars or digits).

Joe M.

On 02/10/2019 20:24, MCH mch@... [SDS200] wrote:

There should be something beside S9: (either dashes or stars or digits).

Joe M.

On 2/10/2019 8:20 PM, druhe druhe@... [SDS200] wrote:

> S9:
>
> On 02/10/2019 20:17, MCH mch@... [SDS200] wrote:
>>
>> When you press the first 9, what does it show on the System QK line?
>> (it should show, among other things, a 9 in that line)
>>
>> Make sure System 99 is not AVOIDed.
>>
>> Joe M.
>>
>> On 2/10/2019 8:11 PM, druhe druhe@... [SDS200] wrote:
>> >

>> > Ugh
>> >
>> > I have FLQK 1 assigned to Somerset and SQK 99 assigned to Butler. I
>> > push 1 and it goes to Quick Key Navigation then push .99 Enter and I get
>> > error beep and nothing. I know its something simple just not seeing it

>> at a

>> county as a
>> same. EX:

>> Armstrong in

>> > <#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Joe M.

That means there is no System Quick Key 99 assigned.

That's why it's not working. (error beeps)

Joe M.

On 2/10/2019 8:25 PM, druhe druhe@... [SDS200] wrote:

[...]

As much as I like to keep this on the list, can you send me a direct email?

I was thinking same. here's my direct address  druhe@...  Do you have DMR ?

On 02/10/2019 20:27, MCH mch@... [SDS200] wrote:

As much as I like to keep this on the list, can you send me a direct email?

Joe M.

On 2/10/2019 8:25 PM, druhe druhe@... [SDS200] wrote:

> S9: --------------
>
> On 02/10/2019 20:24, MCH mch@... [SDS200] wrote:
>>
>> There should be something beside S9: (either dashes or stars or digits).
>>
>> Joe M.
>>
>> On 2/10/2019 8:20 PM, druhe druhe@... [SDS200] wrote:
>> >

>> > S9:

>> and I get
>> seeing it

>> if it
>> most used,
>> Westmoreland, 40s

>> likely

>> duplication

Joe M.

Long story short, Dan wasn't adding the System Quick Key between the FLQK and Site QK. When controlling Sites (or Departments) you have to always add the FL QK and System QK first. [FLQK.SysQK.SiteQK ENTER]

Note: There actually is an exception to that rule, but for someone getting familiar with Quick Keys, the above will always work.

Since I know someone will ask.... ;->
The exception is that if you are scanning only one FL, you can omit the FLQK and just use .SysQK.SiteQK ENTER as a shortcut. If you're only scanning one FL AND ONE System, you can omit both and just use ..SiteQK ENTER. But I recommend using the long version when you're starting out.

And in the above DepartmentQK can be substituted for SiteQK for controlling Department Quick Keys rather than Sites.

Joe M.