File size

Rick Newman

When this morning's weekly database update concluded a message appeared on the screen for a nanosecond which I regret not having been able to read in its entirety. What I was able to glimpse was "File size too large...." before disappearing. Does this mean that the stock SD card provided is inadequate? If so can someone tell me what the maximum capacity card is that the SDS 200 will accommodate?
Thanks.

Rick the digital trunking neophyte

Joe M.

The real question is: What size card are you using and is it full?

Joe M.

On 8/23/2021 11:14 AM, Rick Newman wrote:
When this morning's weekly database update concluded a message appeared
on the screen for a nanosecond which I regret not having been able to
read in its entirety. What I was able to glimpse was "File size too
large...." before disappearing. Does this mean that the stock SD card
provided is inadequate? If so can someone tell me what the maximum
capacity card is that the SDS 200 will accommodate?
Thanks.

Rick the digital trunking neophyte

Rick Newman

I’ve not had occasion to remove the card for any reason to check its size. It’s the stock card provided with the radio. As to whether or not it’s full I’ve yet to discover how this is determined though I imagine the info. can be found somewhere in the menus.

Rick

The real question is: What size card are you using and is it full?

Joe M.

On 8/23/2021 11:14 AM, Rick Newman wrote:
> When this morning's weekly database update concluded a message appeared
> on the screen for a nanosecond which I regret not having been able to
> read in its entirety. What I was able to glimpse was "File size too
> large...." before disappearing. Does this mean that the stock SD card
> provided is inadequate? If so can someone tell me what the maximum
> capacity card is that the SDS 200 will accommodate?
> Thanks.
>
> Rick the digital trunking neophyte

Joe M.

The card could be 4GB or 8GB stock.

Yes, you can check the percentage full via the menus.

I would just connect it to a PC (which you must have done to update) and browse the card.

Joe M.

On 8/23/2021 11:39 AM, Rick Newman wrote:
I’ve not had occasion to remove the card for any reason to check its
size. It’s the stock card provided with the radio. As to whether or not
it’s full I’ve yet to discover how this is determined though I imagine
the info. can be found somewhere in the menus.

Rick

The real question is: What size card are you using and is it full?

Joe M.

On 8/23/2021 11:14 AM, Rick Newman wrote:
> When this morning's weekly database update concluded a message appeared
> on the screen for a nanosecond which I regret not having been able to
> read in its entirety. What I was able to glimpse was "File size too
> large...." before disappearing. Does this mean that the stock SD card
> provided is inadequate? If so can someone tell me what the maximum
> capacity card is that the SDS 200 will accommodate?
> Thanks.
>
> Rick the digital trunking neophyte

Rick Newman

I’ll give that a try Joe.

Much appreciated.

Rick

Yes, you can check the percentage full via the menus.

I would just connect it to a PC (which you must have done to update) and
browse the card.

Joe M.

On 8/23/2021 11:39 AM, Rick Newman wrote:
> I’ve not had occasion to remove the card for any reason to check its
> size. It’s the stock card provided with the radio. As to whether or not
> it’s full I’ve yet to discover how this is determined though I imagine
> the info. can be found somewhere in the menus.
>
> Rick

Joe M.

I will add the database itself takes up a very tiny fraction of any SD card space. The only issue might be if you have other files (such as recordings) that are filling the card up.

Joe M.

On 8/23/2021 11:47 AM, Rick Newman wrote:
I’ll give that a try Joe.

Much appreciated.

Rick

Yes, you can check the percentage full via the menus.

I would just connect it to a PC (which you must have done to update) and
browse the card.

Joe M.

On 8/23/2021 11:39 AM, Rick Newman wrote:
> I’ve not had occasion to remove the card for any reason to check its
> size. It’s the stock card provided with the radio. As to whether or not
> it’s full I’ve yet to discover how this is determined though I imagine
> the info. can be found somewhere in the menus.
>
> Rick

No, no recordings or anything other than the files. I appreciate your input though.

I will add the database itself takes up a very tiny fraction of any SD
card space. The only issue might be if you have other files (such as
recordings) that are filling the card up.

Joe M.

On 8/23/2021 11:47 AM, Rick Newman wrote:
> I’ll give that a try Joe.
>
> Much appreciated.
>
> Rick

Rick Newman

Not wishing to belabor the issue but this seems like an awfully odd message from a unit whose maximum capability is a 32gb card.

Joe M.

You have a FL that is limited to 1 MB each.

You must have done more than update the database since the last DL.

Joe M.

On 8/23/2021 3:19 PM, Rick Newman wrote:
Not wishing to belabor the issue but this seems like an awfully odd
message from a unit whose maximum capability is a 32gb card.

Joe M.

In case the solution isn't clear:

Reduce the size of that FL to less than 1 MB.

Joe M.

On 8/23/2021 6:19 PM, Joe M. wrote:
You have a FL that is limited to 1 MB each.

You must have done more than update the database since the last DL.

Joe M.

On 8/23/2021 3:19 PM, Rick Newman wrote:
Not wishing to belabor the issue but this seems like an awfully odd
message from a unit whose maximum capability is a 32gb card.

Rick Newman

O.K. I'll give it a try.