What Happened to Oceanside (California) Police & Fire?

Mike and Trish

I have 2 old school NICE scanners plus a Home Patrol 2 that always worked PERFECTLY! It still scans and still stops & broadcasts a few of my old favorites but NO Police or Fire ANYWHERE in my area Zip code 92057. Ironically I do now get CHP which I used to always have trouble getting so just WEIRD!  I also found the exact same problem with NOTHING coming out of my trusty old

BCD396T as well?

Now I admit it has possibly been close to a year since I even turned it on so unsure WHAT has happened? Reason is that it was packed away when we had mandatory Fire evacuations over & over & over and to be honest I just gave up making any serious effort digging through all our stuff that is STILL packed since we have zero faith it won't happen again this Summer.

  So my question is, does ANYONE know why I hear NONE of my local Police & Fire? I used to actually dispatch for OPD back in 1980 (yeah I'm an OLD fart 70 yrs old and lost without my hobby. ANY ideas would mean the World to me as I just completed 6 major surgeries and will spend what time I have left in this life in BED or a custom recliner till I am toast...

THANK you-Mike Cartwright in Oceanside California

Bill Nolan <n1chu@...>

Below, please find the RadioReference.com listings for Oceanside, Ca. Note they are only backup frequencies as Oceanside uses a trunked system for their primary comms. You have to determine if your scanners are capable of receiving the trunking system and are the agencies you want to monitor encrypted. If you are familiar with RadioReference.com you can do this yourself with a little research. If not, I would suggest you visit a local fire station and ask the firefighters if any of them have scanners used to monitor their calls at home or in their personal vehicles or have knowledge of anyone that does. It’s always nice to learn firsthand from someone who is “Scanner savy” in or near the town you live in. They can save you a lot of time if, say for example, the comms can no longer be monitored due to encryption, or of a recent upgrade made to an existing system that requires your scanner be reprogrammed, etc.

Hope this helps,
Bill

Oceanside

The conventional frequencies listed below are for backup purposes.

San Diego County - Imperial County Regional Communications System (RCS)
Motorola Type II SmartZone
Police/Fire.

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
158.74500 WNWV934 RM131.8 PLOCS V5 RV5 - Back-Up Repeater FMN Multi-Talk
154.02500 WNWV934 RM110.9 PLOCS V9 PRV9 - Portable Repeater FMN Fire-Tac
854.76250 WNSF262 RM156.7 PLOCS CITY 4Citywide 4

Bill Nolan <n1chu@...>

I should add this... your Home Patrol II needs to have its database updated... it changes every week and is available online from Uniden free of charge. If you haven’t done this update and enter your zip code you will get old, outdated data loaded into the scanner. So first, update it’s database and THEN try entering your zip code...

On Aug 11, 2019, at 2:11 AM, nodamnedspam@... [HomePatrol] <HomePatrol@...> wrote:

[...]

bob_peloquin

The only notes I can find recently on the San Diego County - Imperial County Regional Communications System (RCS) are:
Change History for San Diego County - Imperial County Regional Communications System (RCS) system (Last 30)

Changed Admin Date Changed (2) Talkgroups Updated (Ambulance Services) LAflyer 2019-06-02 21:32:36 Added Talkgroup 33088 AMR Interfacility Transport(Ambulance Services) LAflyer 2019-06-02 21:29:57 Added Talkgroup 33072 AMR Interfacility Transport(Ambulance Services) LAflyer 2019-06-02 21:29:27 Added Talkgroup 32944 Del Mar Fair Security(Miscellaneous) LAflyer 2019-06-02 21:28:32 Changed Site # 002 (North Cell) to 002 (North Cell) LAflyer 2019-05-07 00:03:56 Changed Site # 003 (East Cell) to 003 (East Cell) LAflyer 2019-05-05 16:00:03 Added Talkgroup 31232 Park Ranger Tac(Del Mar) LAflyer 2019-03-09 21:48:01 (1) Talkgroups Updated (Carlsbad) LAflyer 2019-02-17 17:23:39 Deleted 2 talkgroup(s) (San Diego County Sheriff's Department) LAflyer 2019-02-17 17:22:40 (1) Talkgroups Updated (San Diego County Sheriff's Department)

So, judging by this information for that trunked system, I'd have to make an educated guess that either you haven't updated your scanner's database in a while or that your antenna situation or the county's antenna (cell site) configuration has changed. There's a mix of some analog and mostly digital listed:

Oceanside Talkgroups

DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag 37280 91a D OCSDPDISP1 Police Dispatch 1 Law Dispatch 37296 91b D OCSDPDISP2 Police Dispatch 2 Law Dispatch 37312 91c D OCSDPTAC1 Police Tac 1 Law Tac 38064 94b D OCSPBCHTAC Police Beach Tac Law Tac 38080 94c D OCSPTRFTAC1 Police Traffic Tac 1 Law Tac 38096 94d D OCSPNPTAC1 Police Neighborhood Policing Tac 1 Law Tac 38128 94f D OCSPSWAT1 Police SWAT 1 Law Tac 38144 950 D OCSPSWAT2 Police SWAT 2 Law Tac 38176 952 D OCSPINQRY Police Inquiry Law Dispatch 38192 953 D OCSPPROP Police Property Law Tac 38208 954 D OCSPCOV Police Crimes Of Violence Law Tac 38224 955 D OCSPFAM Police Family Services Law Tac 38240 956 D OCSPVICE Police Vice Law Tac 38256 957 DE OCSPNARCS Police Narcotics Law Tac 38272 958 D OCSPGANG Police Gang Unit Law Tac 38288 959 D OCSPENT1 Police Entry Team 1 Law Tac 38304 95a D OCSPLNGRIF Police Long Rifle (Snipers) Law Tac 38320 95b D OCSPCNT Police Crisis Negotiation Team Law Tac 38336 95c D OCSPCMD1 Police Command 1 Law Tac 38352 95d D OCSPENT2 Police Entry Team 2 Law Tac 38560 96a D OCPDTAC1 Police Patrol Tac 1 Law Tac 38576 96b D OCPDTAC2 Police Patrol Tac 2 Law Tac 38592 96c D OCSPCARS Police Cars Law Tac 38608 96d D OCSPTRFTAC2 Police Traffic Tac 2 Law Tac 38384 95f D OCSFCMD1 Fire Command 1 Fire-Tac 38400 960 D OCSFCMD2 Fire Command 2 Fire-Tac 38416 961 D OCS F TAC1 Fire Tactical 1 Fire-Tac 38432 962 D OCS F TAC2 Fire Tactical 2 Fire-Tac 38448 963 D OCS F Admin Fire Admin Fire-Tac 38464 964 D OCS F Prev Fire Prevention Fire-Tac 38480 965 D OCS F Trng Fire Training Fire-Tac 16464 405 A OCS VHF 12 Marine VHF CH-12 Patch Interop 16496 407 A OCS VHF 16 Marine VHF CH-16 Patch Interop 24720 609 A OCS 911 911 Emergency Emergency Ops 24752 60b A OCSPWADMIN Public Works Admin Public Works 24784 60d A OCSPWWTR1 Water Dept 1 Public Works 24816 60f A OCSPWWTR2 Water Dept 2 Public Works 24848 611 A OCSSTRTS1 Streets 1 Public Works 24880 613 A OCSSTRTS2 Streets 2 Public Works 24912 615 A OCSPWPARKS Parks Public Works 24944 617 A OCS PW REC Recreations Public Works 24976 619 A OCSPWENG Engineering Public Works 25008 61b A OCS PWFLEET City Fleet Maintenance Public Works 25040 61d A OCSPWWASTE Waste Water Public Works 25072 61f A OCS PWFACMA Facilities Maintenance Public Works 25104 621 A OCS PWBLDG Building Dept. Public Works 25136 623 A OCS PENF1 Parking Enforcement 1 Public Works 25168 625 A OCS PENF2 Parking Enforcement 2 Public Works 25200 627 A OCS Citywide Citywide Public Works 25232 629 A OCS City 1 City Tac 1 Public Works 25264 62b A OCS City 2 City Tac 2 Public Works 25296 62d A OCS City 3 City Tac 3 Public Works 25328 62f A OCSHCMD Harbor Command 2 Public Works 25360 631 A OCSHMAINT Harbor Maintenance Public Works 25392 633 A OCSHMGMT Harbor Management Public Works 29296 727 D OCS-LFGD TC2 Lifeguard Tac 2 Multi-Tac 38496 966 D OCSPWCODE1 Code Enforcement 1 Public Works 38512 967 D OCSPWCODE2 Code Enforcement 2 Public Works 38528 968 D OCSLFTAC Lifeguards Multi-Dispatch 38544 969 D OCSHTAC1 Harbor Tac 1 Public Works 39296 998 D OCSHCMD1 Harbor Command 1 Public Works

Another possibility is your default service types may have been inadvertently changed or you aren't scanning the whole database for some reason. I'd review your settings, update the database with the latest from Uniden and try the scanner away from your home, on a hill somewhere to see if it's a reception problem like multipath causing destructive interference with the digital signals.

Bob Peloquin
RR db admin (Massachusetts)

Mike and Trish

Thank you. NO, I haven't touched it since buying it new. Sadly I can't even remember HOW to do this either....
 But thanks to your response I found a USB Cable, downloaded a HUGE new Sentinel Zip file and set up Sentinel on this laptop (Windows 10) It installed NO problem. I updated as shown in a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=143&v=vj2-cjq2M4g

  Only thing is, MY HP2 never "rebooted as it was shown and I wish I had written down what I had installed originally but it LOOKS to just be the same old software from 2014 & 2016 as before? Worse, in 15 minutes I still have NOTHING coming through in Oceanside darn it. Will keep at it as best I can. Being in bed after all these surgeries and drugged does NOT help:-)

THANK you for trying to help my old self!
Mike

Mike and Trish

Thank you-I downloaded the latest version of Sentinel and followed  a Youtube video on HOW to update and did so. Mine did not go exactly as it showed in video but when I try to do an additional update process in case I screwed it up, it just keeps saying I am up to date with the latest etc etc. Still, NOTHING out of Oceanside however This is just weird:-)

Mike and Trish

Thank you. I installed the latest Version of Sentinel and did all updates. Ironically it showed my firmware STILL current even though 2014!

On the database I did it as well but it STILL gets me nothing coming out of Oceanside but will keep trying as able. Being in bed & drugged recovering from these major surgeries does NOT lend itself to competence however:-)

Mike and Trish

It looks like NONE of my replies are posting but will try a last time:-) No, I had not TOUCHED it in over 2 or 3 years since buying it. I just downloaded Sentinel and then followed instructions from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=143&v=vj2-cjq2M4g
   NOTHING changed that I can see but every single time now that I try to update yet again, it NOW at least keeps stating I am UP TO DATE which it did NOT say the first time.

  But sadly I still have NOTHING out of Oceanside to listen too. I will keep looking but it would seem I am dead in the water and simply can't even imagine losing the last hobby I had left since these major surgeries put me in bed for what time I have left. I also can't even think of any other hobby to replace this since this is a job I had for a good portion of my life as a Dispatcher for assorted Police & Fire agencies in my life.

  I DO at least still get my old USMC Base just a couple miles from my home. And I get SDG&E which I wish I did NOT get:-)

  Will keep looking but have a BAD feeling they have found some way to lock us out....

bob_peloquin

Make sure you "Read From Scanner" to update Sentinel's knowledge of how your HomePatrol is configured. Then after you have downloaded the database update, "Write To Scanner" to update it. If you forgot to read the scanner's configuration on a new Sentinel installation it will overwrite your settings with defaults which may turn off service types you had previously selected.

Lloyd Mitchell

Well, it looks as if all Law Enforcement is now encrypted in that county on the Phase II P25 system.

Like many across the US, we're finding the LE channels and some Fire/EMS also encrypted.

Check Radioreference for the updates (its where Uniden HP's pull data from)

Lloyd

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 2:16 PM Bill Nolan n1chu@... [HomePatrol] <HomePatrol@...> wrote:

[...]

Where did you see that it's all encrypted?  It only shows the narcotics channel to be encrypted on the trunked system as far as I can see.  Or do you have some inside knowledge that's not published on the RadioReference database for that system?

Bob - W1TAB
RR DB Admin (Massachusetts)

Lloyd Mitchell

If you look at the Riverside PD listing you will see this posting on the page right above the conventional freq listings...

Click on it and tada the NEW Digital Phase II talkgroups

Lloyd

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 3:31 PM bob.peloquin@... [HomePatrol] <HomePatrol@...> wrote:

Where did you see that it's all encrypted?  It only shows the narcotics channel to be encrypted on the trunked system as far as I can see.  Or do you have some inside knowledge that's not published on the RadioReference database for that system?

Bob - W1TAB
RR DB Admin (Massachusetts)

bob_peloquin

Well that's all well and good but has nothing to do with Oceanside PD which is on a totally different system in a totally different county.

Bob - W1TAB
RR db Admin (Massachusetts)

Bill Nolan <n1chu@...>

Hearing nothing only after 15 minutes for the FD isn’t unusual. Sometimes a dept will go hours without a call. If it’s the PD you are referring to it may also just be a quiet time. If you remember what time the FD does their daily radio test you can listen then.

As for Sentinel, it’s a two step process to load new data into the radio... first you download from Uniden the latest data into Sentinel on your computer. Once thats done you then connect your HP II and update the database in the radio. It’s been a while but look for something that may say “Force Write Database”. It should be on the same screen you see when you write to the radio. If you don’t check or turn on the Force Write Database, it won’t write the new database to the radio... it will only write whatever you are looking at the last time you loaded a favorites list to the radio.

Give that a try and report back your findings.

On Aug 11, 2019, at 10:49 AM, nodamnedspam@... [HomePatrol] <HomePatrol@...> wrote:

Thank you-I downloaded the latest version of Sentinel and followed  a Youtube video on HOW to update and did so. Mine did not go exactly as it showed in video but when I try to do an additional update process in case I screwed it up, it just keeps saying I am up to date with the latest etc etc. Still, NOTHING out of Oceanside however This is just weird:-)

Lloyd Mitchell

I clicked on the wrong county  meant San Deigo Co.

From the east coast of SC, I will go back to my hot humid air and be quiet about a place I will never probably visit...sorry for the wasted electrons and time of you guys...

73 Lloyd

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 3:51 PM bob.peloquin@... [HomePatrol] <HomePatrol@...> wrote:

Well that's all well and good but has nothing to do with Oceanside PD which is on a totally different system in a totally different county.

Bob - W1TAB
RR db Admin (Massachusetts)

Mike and Trish

THANK you Bill-
 After I gave up and just treated my BC2 as brand new I began from scratch and downloaded the Sentinel program. After updating it, and my scanner this is what I have and I still have the exact same problems...
This is where I am currently and find nothing more recent than this so far:

**** Update-I just realized I have never done ANY sort of update to my HP2 so today I downloaded the latest Sentinel Program and to my shock it says my OLD original Firmware is still up to date! Here is what my scanner shows AFTER trying to update the firmware and after doing full update on the software.
-Main Firmware Ver: 1.05
-Sub Firmware Ver: 1.2
-Database Version: 08/04/2019
-Help Version: 07/14.2014?

THANK you for ANY sort of help or guidance-Mike Cartwright in Oceanside California

Bill Nolan <n1chu@...>

Ok. Understood.

On Aug 11, 2019, at 10:55 AM, nodamnedspam@... [HomePatrol] <HomePatrol@...> wrote:

Thank you. I installed the latest Version of Sentinel and did all updates. Ironically it showed my firmware STILL current even though 2014!

On the database I did it as well but it STILL gets me nothing coming out of Oceanside but will keep trying as able. Being in bed & drugged recovering from these major surgeries does NOT lend itself to competence however:-)

nomadvrod

If you remember what the frequencies are,try to manually program them,and your 396t,I use the control channel only method for trunking frequencies,it works well for me,once you get it going,(use manual),hit lock out for what you don,t want to hear

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 After I gave up and just treated my BC2 as brand new I began from scratch and downloaded the Sentinel program. After updating it, and my scanner this is what I have and I still have the exact same problems...
This is where I am currently and find nothing more recent than this so far:

**** Update-I just realized I have never done ANY sort of update to my HP2 so today I downloaded the latest Sentinel Program and to my shock it says my OLD original Firmware is still up to date! Here is what my scanner shows AFTER trying to update the firmware and after doing full update on the software.
-Main Firmware Ver: 1.05
-Sub Firmware Ver: 1.2
-Database Version: 08/04/2019
-Help Version: 07/14.2014?

THANK you for ANY sort of help or guidance-Mike Cartwright in Oceanside California

nomadvrod

As many scanners as I have and use,I have never used computer programming,I have a 436hp,a 396t,the 436 was a bitch to program manually,the zip code programming is useless,it brings in everything BUT what I want,I crated a favorites list,and put everything there,my 396t still works awesome,and decodes way more then it should

[...]

OK it is FIXED!

Long story short is once I basically formatted the entire show then reinstalled it all over again then found that somehow by default that EVERY single freq within the SD County (Imperial) was LOCKED OUT

Now this was the way it was from my download so I had to "unlock-UNBLOCK the entire deal. Then I wrote OVER but only after I also had deleted any and all of my "groups" first.

  So now a lot of work awaits to clean out and lock out all I do not want etc but then I am back and it is all I care about:-). I just can't say how much it means to me to at least have THIS much left in my old life:-)

THANK you for everyone's help,
Mike