Service Types - Mesa, AZ

home.patrol@...

Hello everyone!  I'm wanting to only listen to the Police activity in the Mesa, AZ area and not sure if I need to check all the Law Service Types; Law Dispatch, Law-Tac and Law Talk,  When I enter my zip code and check only those three, and set the Range to three miles I get 356 channels.  That seems like way too many for what I've chosen.  I really only want to monitor the City of Mesa Police and the Maricopa County Sheriff, as well as the Mesa Police Helicopter activity.  If anyone has some insight and suggestions as to how I should set up my scanner I would sure appreciate it.  Please keep in mind that I'm definitely not as technical or savvy as more experienced scanner listeners might be.  Thanks!

Joe M.

If you're in the city limits, set the range to 0 miles to get only those services that serve your location. I'm sure there are state police and county police that also serve your location, so that will add channels.

If you are scanning, permanently avoid Systems and Departments you are not interested in. That will reduce the number of channels fast.

Joe M.

On 2/3/2019 2:39 AM, home.patrol@yahoo.com [HomePatrol] wrote:

Hello everyone! I'm wanting to only listen to the Police activity in
the Mesa, AZ area and not sure if I need to check all the Law Service
Types; Law Dispatch, Law-Tac and Law Talk, When I enter my zip code and
check only those three, and set the Range to three miles I get 356
channels. That seems like way too many for what I've chosen. I really
only want to monitor the City of Mesa Police and the Maricopa County
Sheriff, as well as the Mesa Police Helicopter activity. If anyone has
some insight and suggestions as to how I should set up my scanner I
would sure appreciate it. Please keep in mind that I'm definitely not
as technical or savvy as more experienced scanner listeners might be.
Thanks!

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Mark Lassman

What happens when you check off all of those boxes you mentioned is that you literally get everything from your police department’s main dispatch channel to every Tom-Dick-and-Harry security guard company and everything in between. If you want ONLY the Mesa and Maricopa County departments, you’ll have to either manually choose those specific services OR load everything in your area and then you’ll have to manually delete what you don’t want.

Joe M.

Security should not be under LE service Types. (emphasis on should)

Joe M.

On 2/4/2019 2:26 AM, Mark Lassman kb6kgx@mac.com [HomePatrol] wrote:
What happens when you check off all of those boxes you mentioned is that you literally get everything from your police department’s main dispatch channel to every Tom-Dick-and-Harry security guard company and everything in between. If you want ONLY the Mesa and Maricopa County departments, you’ll have to either manually choose those specific services OR load everything in your area and then you’ll have to manually delete what you don’t want.

Dan Danz <dand911phx@...>

I think the OP needs to create a favorites list.  The problem is that you are talking about a very densely-populated area and zip code, even with zero range, probably won't solve the problem which has a lot to do with huge wireless systems.  The Mesa TOPAZ system has many fill-in sites besides the primary multi-site simulcast frequencies.  It also has a large number of other  agencies Gilbert, Apache Junction that have law-type talkgroups too.  They also require more sites for coverage in areas other than Mesa.

The sheriff has law enforcement shared with Mesa, especially unincorporated county islands in Mesa,  but also in Gilbert, Queen Creek.  MCSO is on a County system that covers 9200 sq miles of the county with something like 33 sites to cover that area.

If you try to add fire/EMS talkgroups, you'll need to add the huge Phoenix Regional Wireless Cooperative because of Regional mutual aid agreements that permits (and requires) dispatch of closest equipment, regardless of department.  And don't forget Rural Metro UHF channels.

To intelligently listen, you need more filtering than just a zip code will provide.    You need to determine which talkgroups you need to listen to (Mesa has at least 4 patrol districts plus emergency channels that usually are encrypted.).  The TOPAZ system covers more than, so turn off or avoid Gilbert, Apache Junction, etc.

MCSO traffic for Mesa is on the East dispatch talkgroups (but you will get more than Mesa units...QCK, Guadalupe, Sun Lakes, Fountain Hills, Rio Verde, Carefree, Cave Creek, Anthem... And Lake Patrol units in non-summer time.)

So start with making a favorites list that has only the tower sites that you receive AND that carries the talkgroups you want). Radio reference has ways to display tower locations on a map.  Turn off or avoid the other towers.

Turn off, remove, or avoid any talkgroups you don't need.

 Learn callsigns and areas they cover so you can ignore radio traffic in parts of the county you don't want to know about because you will have to listen to channels/talkgroups that carry SOME both wanted and unwanted units/agencies/departments/districts.

I've been gone from the area for 4 years, or I'd be glad to help you get started.

L.W."Dan" Danz
Overland Park KS