Home Patrol and GPS

gclaridge@...

Hello group;

I am a new Home Patrol user and will be connecting a Garmin GPS unit to it while mobile.  Should I remove all my favorites from the Home Patrol and rely on the GPS to find local frequencies?  I believe I have to set up the service types I am interested in, but I don't think I need any favorites.

Is this correct, or am I way off base here.

Thanks for any and all help;
Gord

Dewey

This is going to be matter of preference, but my bet is that most (myself included) don’t run favorites when using the GPS.  The only reason I feel this way is because the only time that your favorites will contain something that is not already in the main database is when you’ve manually added the information because it is not already in the RR database.  When you run the GPS with the main database, you have the best chances of coming across frequencies that you may not be aware of.  As mentioned, this will be more preference than anything else.  Since I live in the Metropolitan DC area, I use favorites to isolate the MANY different counties in Maryland and Virginia as well as DC apart from the main database.  That way, I can very easily turn on a single or multiple counties of interest without having to deal with the main database.  Wishing you very good monitoring!!!

Dewey

From: HomePatrol@... [mailto:HomePatrol@...] On Behalf Of gclaridge@...
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:47
To: HomePatrol@...
Subject: [HomePatrol] Home Patrol and GPS

Hello group;

I am a new Home Patrol user and will be connecting a Garmin GPS unit to it while mobile.  Should I remove all my favorites from the Home Patrol and rely on the GPS to find local frequencies?  I believe I have to set up the service types I am interested in, but I don't think I need any favorites.

Gord

gclaridge@...

Thanks for your response Dewey.  As a follow-up to the group:
If I have the GPS attached to the HP-1, does it ignore any favorites lists that are in the unit, or would I be better off removing the favorite list altogether?

Thanks again;
Gord

uniden.upman

You can set a FL to either pay attention to location or not.

UpMan
UpMan FAQ: http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/UpMan -- Please read before emailing me directly

To: HomePatrol@...
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2014 6:52 AM
Subject: [HomePatrol] RE: Home Patrol and GPS

If I have the GPS attached to the HP-1, does it ignore any favorites lists that are in the unit, or would I be better off removing the favorite list altogether?

Thanks again;
Gord

Eric Hepner <ehepner@...>

You can have the HP-1 monitor only the full database, just a favorite list, or any combination. If you have it set to monitor full database, the FL is ignored. No need to delete from the unit.

On Feb 14, 2014 8:38 AM, <gclaridge@...> wrote:

Thanks again;
Gord

bob_peloquin

Unless a favorites list has GPS locations/ranges assigned it will only work when location-control is turned off for that list.  Copying from the full database to a custom favorites list should copy the location and range data too but unless you turn on location-control it will always try to listen to those frequencies in the favorites list.

Mistakenly turning on location-control for a favorites list you've created yourself in Sentinel without locations/ranges assigned will not work.  They've got to have locations and ranges for a list with location-control turned on to work.

Joel Kahn

Gord: 

I know I am replying late, and may have missed some of this in the previous replies from Dewey and Upman, but I suggest you start with the online user guide for the HP-1 on Uniden's Twiki site and/or http://marksscanners.com/HP/HP.shtml .  Specifically, read up on favorites lists and the selections for each list in Sentinel that turns on/off Monitoring, Downloading, Location selection.

You can load the HP with fav's for a road trip of just what you want to hear, and turning on the locations, your GPS will turn them on/off as you pass into the preset range of each system.  You can sort of do the same using the main database and service selections, but with less control. 

As far as the garmin GPS, be sure it does output NMEA to the cable you are using.  Most newer stand alone GPS by Garmin no longer output data.  My biggest (maybe ONLY) complaint with the Uniden "puck" GPS is that it needs a second power source.  I was hoping the new 436HP would address that, but "sigh" no such luck!

Joel R Kahn

Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:47 AM
Subject: [HomePatrol] Home Patrol and GPS

Hello group;

Gord