HP2 repairs

Mark Lewin

I'm having a problem that plagued the BC436 when they first came out.  I seem to recall that it was mentioned that the HP2 was susceptible to the same problem.

My problem is that the unit cannot hold the date and time info.
It used to hold the time for 4-5 days  between uses but now I can set the time in the morning, use the scanner during the day but turn it off at night and the info is gone in the morning.  If I turn the unit off during the day for an hour or two, the time/date stays intact.

I know that Uniden fixed this problem by a complete board replacement when you sent it in, but others said that the problem was just the internal clock batteries had lost their charge and to recharge, you needed to plug the unit in to charge for 50+ hours.

Before sending the unit in for repair, I'm willing to try that first.  I have never charged my batteries in the unit; rather I have a separate charger.  If I plug my HP2 directly into a wall socket to charge the clock battery, do I need to have the 4 AA batteries installed? Do I need to be concerned about those batteries overheating if the unit is charging for so long?

I'm finding the Uniden support page to be somewhat difficult to understand.  They talk about a list of units that are unrepairable. It's not clear whether that refers to units damaged in such a way that Uniden can't repair them or whether there are certain older models that they no longer attempt to repair.  I just want to make sure the Home Patrol 2 is still a unit that Uniden will service.

Can anyone give me advice?

Join HomePatrol@Uniden.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.