programming the p2

LeonardKeepers

hello group i have not done any updating of my p2 for quite sometime so today i thought i would try to update the systems i have in it. i am using arcxt pro.i check communications set up do a automatic check to find the scanner,it tells me that it has successfully found the radio.when i try to upload to the scanner it tells me the usb port is being used by another project and i get error trying to load a new upload to the scanner,arcxt pro tells me i have the latest version.would anyone have any ideas what i am missing.i am using windows 10 if that makes any difference. thank you

Leonard

Ray

The only thing I can tell you do does is:

Unplug any and all devices you have plugged into your computer using a usb
plug.

Go into the device manager and look under Ports ( COM & LPT)

Look for USB Serial Device/ To the right of that it should say.. Example
(COM1) and so on.

If you have unplugged all other usb devices from your computer, it should be
the only one

That says USB SERIAL DEVICE, and that COM ( # ) should be the correct port
that connects to your scanner.

OR

On the Butel software for P2,

On the top roll of tabs, click on Scanner, Click on Communication Setup,
wait for USB/RS@#@C setup box to appear,

Tap on AutoDetectScanner. If all you have plugged into your computer is the
cable from the scanner to the USB Port,

It should find it. If not, click on the Open DeviceManager.

and look under Ports ( COM & LPT)

Look for USB Serial Device/ To the right of that it should say.. Example
(COM1) and so on.

If you have unplugged all other usb devices from your computer, it should be
the only one

That says USB SERIAL DEVICE, and that COM ( # ) should be the correct port
that connects to your scanner.

Thomas

hello group i have not done any updating of my p2 for quite sometime so
today i thought i would try to update the systems i have in it. i am using
arcxt pro.i check communications set up do a automatic check to find the
scanner,it tells me that it has successfully found the radio.when i try to
upload to the scanner it tells me the usb port is being used by another
project and i get error trying to load a new upload to the scanner,arcxt pro
tells me i have the latest version.would anyone have any ideas what i am
missing.i am using windows 10 if that makes any difference. thank you

Leonard

LeonardKeepers

Thomas thank you,i did the check to automatic find the scanner and the software finds the scanner.i can download from the scanner but it tells me that the serial port is not  available or is being used by another program when trying to upload to the scanner.i haven't tried unplugging anything yet.will give that a try to see what happens.

Leonard

LeonardKeepers

Thomas i disconnected all extra things i had connect to the computer and it did not fix the problem

leonard

Joe M.

Try another SW package. That will isolate the issue to the PC or the SW.
(if other SW does not work, it's in the PC. If other SW works, it's a SW issue)

Joe M.

On 3/1/2019 10:44 AM, LeonardKeepers Leonard.Keepers@... [BCD996p2] wrote:
Thomas i disconnected all extra things i had connect to the computer and
it did not fix the problem

leonard

LeonardKeepers

hello group i tried to download freescan but you need to have version 2.18 or something like that any suggestion on where to down load the latest version for the p 2.not really sure which version i could be wrong with what i mentioned i do know that the version for the 996xt will not work. thank you

Leonard

Joe M.

Same site as the other DLs.

<<http://www.sixspotsoftware.com/downloads>>

Joe M.

On 3/1/2019 1:35 PM, LeonardKeepers Leonard.Keepers@... [BCD996p2] wrote:
hello group i tried to download freescan but you need to have version
2.18 or something like that any suggestion on where to down load the
latest version for the p 2.not really sure which version i could be
wrong with what i mentioned i do know that the version for the 996xt
will not work. thank you

Leonard

---

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

John Wilson <w4uvv@...>

Sir:
I have not followed your earlier posts...I assume in ARCXT that you
selected on the top toolbar "Scanner" and then selected "Communications
Setup" and then selected "Auto Detect Scanner". If successful, it
automatically will display a successful USB connection and have a black
dot matching the correct USB port selected.  For example, for my 996XLT
good USB connection using ARCXT PRO, USB Port "9" was selected.
Otherwise it would have displayed something to the effect "not able to
acquire a good connection".

Also,  If you do obtain a good USB connection, you also MUST SELECT THE
HIGHEST BAUD RATE FILE TRANSFER OF "115200" OR IT WILL NOT WORK. I do
not know why not but I learned that Butel ARC model version's sw quirk
years ago and never forgot it.  If you do not know how to do a menu
"drill down" that and other various user feature options, you need learn
or continue requesting help, or quit using the software.  "115200" baud
is NOT the factory baud default  setting. I believe it is "56500?" which
like all lessor baud settings, will not work for file transfers.  For
GPS only using 4800? baud works fine.

Additionally when you upload a selected file using ARCXT it will upload
it twice.  I'm guessing the first upload is for P1 and second dupe load
is for P2.  I do not have the P2 sw version.  But it does the same dupe
upload process using only P1 software.

I also suspect your ARCXT sw drivers have been corrupted with you trying
different recommendations/options, which do happen.  A prior message was
posted recommending you reinstall your ARCXT software. Doing that will
correct that potential corrupted drivers issue.

No disrespect intended, but it appears to me your ARCXT software
problems are sourced more to your unfamiliarity using ARCXT software.
Like all software, ARCXT has a learning curve.  For example, some
unknowns such as using the max baud value only for file uploads required
me to select all the other listed baud values until "115200" worked. At
that time I made a note in my user's manual as a permanent notation.
Sorry, I cannot help you any further.
Good Luck.

John
W4UVV

LeonardKeepers Leonard.Keepers@... [BCD996p2] wrote:

hello group i tried to download freescan but you need to have version
2.18 or something like that any suggestion on where to down load the
latest version for the p 2.not really sure which version i could be
wrong with what i mentioned i do know that the version for the 996xt
will not work. thank you

Leonard

---

LeonardKeepers

hello John thank you for your reply i am visually impaired and if someone suggested reinstalling the software i missed it.when doing an automatic check for the scanner for which the software does find my saner on com 5 baud rate of 115200.now for  what might sound like a dumb question should i uninstall the present version i have on my machine or can i install on top of what is there.i hope you are not offended for that question. i do not program my scanner very often and this is the first time i have had this problem with the arcxt software.thank you

Leonard

John Wilson <w4uvv@...>

Leonard,

I would go to Control Panel and select Add or Remove Programs, select
ARCXT and DELETE it.  Then go to Windows Explorer, select ARCXT folder
and do a "new clean" install of ARCXT.  Next register the software
option in "Help" if needed. Next insert the USB cable connectors;
open(load) the target file in ARCXT; select Scanner then Communication
Setup then confirm the file transfer baud rate is "115200" then select
AUTO DETECT SCANNER.  Use either a front or rear USB/RS232 scanner
connection.  Both scanner 9 pin rear to USB or front micro to USB
computer ok on my 996X:LT.   If a good USB/RS232 connection a mini
window will display "ARC XT has successfully detected your scanner".  If
so, you are good to select Scanner, Upload file and continue.  If you do
not get a good connection, confirm that the USB cable is good and finger
tighten all the cable connections.   Try again.  If there still is a
problem with getting a good connection, try another USB/RS232 cable.  If
still a problem, post a "help" message on Radio Reference in the Uniden
Tech Help forum located within the "UNIDEN" forum.

If still no luck, at some point someone locally will have to sight check
and confirm one way or the other what the USB/RS232 disconnect problem
is.  If you cannot locate a friend or some locally to help, Best Buy
offers a Tech Help section and quickly can determine whether the problem
is a bad cable, a Windows problem or computer problem.  There is a
reasonable charge which might make the difference between it working or
not working.

Sorry, I cannot answer any more questions you may have on this subject.
You need to obtain help locally if you cannot resolve your problems on
the internet.

Good Luck.

John
W4UVV

LeonardKeepers Leonard.Keepers@... [BCD996p2] wrote:

hello John thank you for your reply i am visually impaired and if
someone suggested reinstalling the software i missed it.when doing an
automatic check for the scanner for which the software does find my
saner on com 5 baud rate of 115200.now for  what might sound like a dumb
question should i uninstall the present version i have on my machine or
can i install on top of what is there.i hope you are not offended for
that question. i do not program my scanner very often and this is the
first time i have had this problem with the arcxt software.thank you

Leonard

---

LeonardKeepers

hello john thank you very much you have been a big help to me.thank goodness i saved a previous download of arcxtpro to reinstall.i looked on the butel site,i could not find where you could download the software without paying for it.to me that is somewhat of a bummer.

Leonard

Ray

Leonard,

You DO NOT have to pay for The Butel again.

When you 1st bought it you should have received an email with your Software Keys.

You just use the same keys you received,,,,

But if you already have Butel and it is not just a demo version and you previously typed your 2 keys in,

You will not have to enter your keys again. They are stored in your Registry.

Just go to Butel and download the one your purchased before, Either the basic or Pro.

Thomas

hello john thank you very much you have been a big help to me.thank
goodness i saved a previous download of arcxtpro to reinstall.i looked
on the butel site,i could not find where you could download the software
without paying for it.to me that is somewhat of a bummer.

Leonard

Ray

John,

Here is the link to go to in order to download your Butel.

If you are using one of these <https://www.butel.nl/download/arcxt/arcxtpro_setup21.zip> Uniden BCD396XT/BC346XT/BCD996XT/BCT15X/BCD996P2/BCD325P2

Go to:

https://www.butel.nl/download_us.html

Look on the right side of the web page and it shows you all the different Uniden scanners,

Choose the scanner you have and choose weightier you purchased the BASIC click on that one

OR if you had purchased the PRO click on that one.

Thomas

hello john thank you very much you have been a big help to me.thank
goodness i saved a previous download of arcxtpro to reinstall.i looked
on the butel site,i could not find where you could download the software
without paying for it.to me that is somewhat of a bummer.

Leonard

LeonardKeepers

hello Thomas thank you and to all that have replied to me.yes i still have my keys from when i purchased the arcxt pro software.

Leonard

LeonardKeepers

that's it i give up downloaded and reinstalled the software and and when i attempt to upload to the scanner i still get serial port not available.that's it no more,checked to make sure the software was connected to the scanner,com port 5 baud rate 115200

Lenard

Mark French

Check the settings and turn the control channel setting to off. Try that.

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 1:16 PM LeonardKeepers Leonard.Keepers@...
[BCD996p2] <BCD996p2@...> wrote:

that's it i give up downloaded and reinstalled the software and and when
i attempt to upload to the scanner i still get serial port not
available.that's it no more,checked to make sure the software was
connected to the scanner,com port 5 baud rate 115200

Lenard

---

Joe M.

Did the other SW work?

Joe M.

On 3/2/2019 2:16 PM, LeonardKeepers Leonard.Keepers@... [BCD996p2] wrote:
that's it i give up downloaded and reinstalled the software and and when
i attempt to upload to the scanner i still get serial port not
available.that's it no more,checked to make sure the software was
connected to the scanner,com port 5 baud rate 115200

Lenard

---

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

LeonardKeepers

hello group i thank everyone for replying to me,right now i am to frustrated to work with it.Joe i have not found a version freescan that will work with the p2.again many thanks to all i  am just too frustrated at this time to fool around with it.

Leonard

Dave Mercer

I have used Freescan which works fine on my P2.

Dave

On Mar 2, 2019, at 14:58, LeonardKeepers Leonard.Keepers@... [BCD996p2] <BCD996p2@...> wrote:

hello group i thank everyone for replying to me,right now i am to
frustrated to work with it.Joe i have not found a version freescan that
will work with the p2.again many thanks to all i am just too frustrated
at this time to fool around with it.

Leonard

---

Joe M.

I posted a link right to it (I think I did... yep - found the email).

<<http://www.sixspotsoftware.com/downloads>>

Whenever you feel up to trying again.

Joe M.