P2 help with updating firmware pls

Randy Thomas

All
I think I looked at all the posting before I present my problem. I am trying to update my firmware for my brand new 996P2 that I received a few days ago. I am using Windows XP and using the USB cable that came with the new P2. First I updated my Windows Drivers to the new framework 4.0. Everytime I try to connect to connect to scanner it stated I needed to install the Uniden Virtual scanner driver. Everytime I try to download the virtual scanner driver from either scannermaster or Uniden websites I only get two items in the folder one is a security catalog and don't remember what the other is but it certainly isn't a driver. Please help me. I am pretty knowledge with scanners as I have 8 scanners including Pro ,197 and 2006 but this is my first P2. Please go easy on me as I am a paralized Disabled VET and scanning is the only hobby I can do. I don't have cash to have Uniden program for me and would rather program myself in order to learn my new radio. It was a birthday gift to me and would like to get it up and running. Please help. Thank you.

Randy

Joe M.

Do what it says - install the driver.
Right-click on the INF file and select INSTALL.

Make sure you have unzipped the package first.

Joe M.

On 7/30/2019 1:51 PM, Randy Thomas thomasrandylee@hotmail.com [BCD996p2] wrote:
[...]

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Randy Thomas

Thanks Joe but you must not have read my entire post. That's what I m trying to do what it says and download the zip file and install but when I do there is only two folders inside the zip file instead of three and none of the two is a driver. I don't need help programming I need help updating my firmware from 1.6 to 1.8 and the zip file from both scannermaster and uniden for some ungodly reason when I try to download my Windows XP will not pickup the driver but it picks up other drivers.

Randy Thomas
CWO4 U.S. Navy (Ret.)

________________________________

wrote:
[...]

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

kline Rick

HI I will try to help. Hers the directions from the uniden site for
installing serial drivers for USB. Your folder should show 2 files, one
is a cat file and the other inf file. Is that what you have?

If you are having problems installing the drivers, see the following
general instructions (some steps might differ slightly, depending on
your specific operating system).

1. Download and unzip the above driver.
2. Plug in the scanner using a USB cable.
3. Right click on the Windows Launch icon (bottom left corner) and
select "Device Manager."
4. The device shows up with a yellow triangle.
5. Right click on device and select "Update Driver Software."
6. Select "Browse My Computer for Driver Software."
7. Navigate to the folder where you have unzipped the above driver.

The link I got it from and contains the driver is
http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/BCD996P2? At the bottom is the link
for the firmware

Hope this helps and Thanks for your service

One last thing off topic? I am sure your aware that XP and soon Windows
7 are no longer supported and if you use your system for anything
confidential like banking etc, you could be at risk. Hate to see you get
compromised

wrote:
[...]

John Wilson <w4uvv@...>

Rick,

I use Win XP but do not use P2.  To possibly confirm the drivers were
installed he can select "Program Files", then "Uniden" then the
appropriate scanner id.  The drivers mostly likely are in a separate
"drivers" file.

John

wrote:
[...]

I thought the issue was that you could not communicate since
there was no driver installed. The INF is the driver install file.

Maybe you can explain exactly where it's going bad.

Joe M.

wrote:
> All
> I think I looked at all the posting before I present my problem. I am
> trying to update my firmware for my brand new 996P2 that I received a
> few days ago. I am using Windows XP and using the USB cable that came
> with the new P2. First I updated my Windows Drivers to the new framework
> 4.0. Everytime I try to connect to connect to scanner it stated I needed
> to install the Uniden Virtual scanner driver. Everytime I try to
> download the virtual scanner driver from either scannermaster or Uniden
> websites I only get two items in the folder one is a security catalog
> and don't remember what the other is but it certainly isn't a driver.
> Please help me. I am pretty knowledge with scanners as I have 8 scanners
> including Pro ,197 and 2006 but this is my first P2. Please go easy on
> me as I am a paralized Disabled VET and scanning is the only hobby I can
> do. I don't have cash to have Uniden program for me and would rather
> program myself in order to learn my new radio. It was a birthday gift to
> me and would like to get it up and running. Please help. Thank you.

> Randy

Yahoo Groups Links

Randy Thomas

Okay I m in with. Firmware updated. I know my windows XP is old but I don't use it for anything financial and the only reason I keep it is for downloading and programming my scanners. I have four Pro 197's and a 2006 and XP has always worked perfect downloading programs and updating firmware for those and this was my first new scanner in quite awhile. Anyway I am up and running now so thanks to all.

Randy

Randy Thomas
CWO4 U.S. Navy (Ret.)