No Volume

Tim Ferguson

I moved my two BCD536HP's to a different location in my office for convenience and now I can't get any audio from one.  Is there a muting function I may have enabled during the move?  This happens when scanning or if I turn the squelch complete off and volume at maximum.

Joe M.

Try plugging a plug into the earphone jack then remove
it. The bypass jumper may not be making contact.

Joe M.

On 5/7/2021 3:03 PM, Tim Ferguson wrote:
I moved my two BCD536HP's to a different location in my office for
convenience and now I can't get any audio from one. Is there a muting
function I may have enabled during the move? This happens when scanning
or if I turn the squelch complete off and volume at maximum.

Tim Ferguson

Plugged a speaker into the headphone jack and had sound, but still no sound from the main speaker when unplugging it.

Plugged the speaker into the external speaker jack on the back and had to play with it to get sound.  Finally had sound and left it plugged in for a while with sound from various channels.

Tim

Joe M.

It could be a speaker that went bad, but I would check to make
sure the plug simply didn't come out. (speaker wire plug inside).

If you have a speaker you can test that by connecting it (hold the wires to) the speaker terminals.

It still could be that bypass jumper though. Did you plug and unplug the earphones several times?

Joe M.

On 5/7/2021 7:00 PM, Tim Ferguson wrote:
Plugged a speaker into the headphone jack and had sound, but still no
sound from the main speaker when unplugging it.

Plugged the speaker into the external speaker jack on the back and had
to play with it to get sound. Finally had sound and left it plugged in
for a while with sound from various channels.

Tim

Rick NK7I

Put a SMALL drop of DeOxit on the plug and insert it, rotate it in position, extract it and repeat (not adding more DeOxit) to try to work it into the contact area.  Then insert/extract another half dozen times to work the contacts (with the DeOxit in place).

A SMALL amount, it migrates and makes a mess.  Once the contacts are cleaned, the internal speaker should come back to life.  If not, the connector should be replaced.

Having said that, I NEVER use the internal speaker; they are often placed for engineer convenience over function, sound lousy (low audio, muffled, pinched audio) so a quality external communication speaker is all I use (or the truck sound system).  I prefer the black Motorola speakers, except in the vehicles; the small Radio Shack cubes (were $20, shot to $70 before RS collapsed) also sound good and don't take up space.

NO, this is NOT thread theft; but a complete answer to the problem.

Good luck,
Rick NK7I

On 5/7/2021 4:00 PM, Tim Ferguson wrote:
Plugged a speaker into the headphone jack and had sound, but still no sound from the main speaker when unplugging it.

Plugged the speaker into the external speaker jack on the back and had to play with it to get sound.  Finally had sound and left it plugged in for a while with sound from various channels.

Tim

Tim Ferguson

I appreciate the recommendations and will try them one step-at-a-time.  I have the one in question connected along with another 536 to a computer feeding a stream to Broadcastify so I can listen via an iPhone police scanner app when away from home and use the external speaker jack for that, but, when I was setting this one up after the relocation I noticed the no audio through the internal speaker and also through the external speaker jack.  I would assume leaving it connected this way for an extended period would create the conditions you guys were talking about.

Tim

Rick NK7I

In the simplest of terms; whatever moves, wears out and breaks, whatever is designed to move and doesn't, breaks (including our bodies).

Exercising the parts, even randomly (workouts aren't often fun), helps to keep things in good operating condition.  Twist the knobs, reset the connectors every once in a while; they gather contamination just like we do if nothing moves.

So, I periodically exercise ALL the controls on the things I use, which may be part of why I'm still able to use a scanner that is approaching 40 years old now (doesn't do NFM, doesn't matter).  Just like me, the parts may complain and be stiff, lol.

That your 536 no longer has internal or external audio, may be the connector has failed entirely, or worse.  If you are not comfortable with working with the contents, it's time for it to visit a shop.  Your only other option is to stream it via wifi.

Regards,
Rick NK7I