Sentinel Question

xray291@...

Is there any advantage to force write the entire database to the SD card? I do not think size would be an issue...thoughts?

Joe M.

It's used when the software refuses to write
an updated file. No reason to normally use it.

Joe M.

On 1/17/2018 10:17 PM, xray291@gmail.com [BCD436HP] wrote:

Is there any advantage to force write the entire database to the SD
card? I do not think size would be an issue...thoughts?

John

It's especially important for those who travel a lot and use the GPS function to change systems as they drive. No need to manually change things as you drive.
I use it a lot and it guarantees your database is up to date.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid

On Jan 17, 2018 22:17, "xray291@... [BCD436HP]" <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

Is there any advantage to force write the entire database to the SD card? I do not think size would be an issue...thoughts?

Joe M.

Huh? Misunderstood the OP?

Joe M.

On Jan 17, 2018 22:17, "xray291@gmail.com [BCD436HP]"
<BCD436HP@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Is there any advantage to force write the entire database to the SD
card? I do not think size would be an issue...thoughts?

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Tom <tperry@...>

The entire master database is always on your card. At each weekly database update the entire database is written to your card and writes over the old one. The total size that the database takes up on the card is relatively small.

As far as a “Force Write”........  it does no harm to do it except making a longer write time if you already have the current database in your scanner, but there is no reason to check the "Force Write Full Database" when you write to the scanner. You would only need to check that box if you were re-writing a master database update of the same date that has already been written to the scanner. The only reason that would ever be necessary would be if the database in the scanner had been corrupted somehow. A”force write” has no effect on writing favorites lists to your scanner, or any other setting changes you have made in Sentinel.

When you write to the scanner from Sentinel, and Sentinel has a master database with a newer date than the one in the scanner (as in routine weekly database updating) it will always automatically overwrite (or force write over) the entire database in the scanner.

On Jan 17, 2018, at 10:17 PM, xray291@... [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

Is there any advantage to force write the entire database to the SD card? I do not think size would be an issue...thoughts?

Les

Does the master database get updated/written to the scanner, even if you "skip" all of the other updates ?  In other words the prompts ask or tell you it is different on the scanner than on the computer and you skip that because you don't want to update the favorites.

On 1/17/2018 10:17 PM, xray291@... [BCD436HP] wrote:

> Is there any advantage to force write the entire database to the SD
> card? I do not think size would be an issue...thoughts?

Joe M.

The main db is separate from the FL. The main dB is checked first, and if newer is written. Then the list of FLs is similarly checked/written.

The main dB only gets written if it's newer or if you force the write.

You will definitely notice the main dB data being skipped if the data is the same - the bar will suddenly jump to about 66% (or more depending on the number of FLs you have and their size).

Joe M.

On 1/25/2018 9:58 PM, Les lsa12@hotmail.com [BCD436HP] wrote:

Does the master database get updated/written to the scanner, even if you
"skip" all of the other updates ? In other words the prompts ask or
tell you it is different on the scanner than on the computer and you
skip that because you don't want to update the favorites.

Les

Joe,

Sorry to be a simpleton here, but when you say newer you mean if the version on the computer is newer than what is on the connected 436.  As always thanks for the info.

On 1/25/2018 9:58 PM, Les lsa12@... [BCD436HP] wrote:

> Does the master database get updated/written to the scanner, even if you
> "skip" all of the other updates ? In other words the prompts ask or
> tell you it is different on the scanner than on the computer and you
> skip that because you don't want to update the favorites.

Richard McDade

Have a problem, Don't know why and how  fix Sentinel ,  stop working and keep saying already running.

Richard McDade

having a problem and need help,  Sentinal will not open - stop working

Joe M.

Try forcing it closed in the task manager or reboot your PC.

Joe M.

On 1/29/2018 4:07 PM, bigmoney2160@ymail.com [BCD436HP] wrote:

Have a problem, Don't know why and how fix Sentinel , stop working and
keep saying already running.

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Joe M.

If it simply won't open, reinstall it.

Joe M.

On 1/29/2018 4:57 PM, Richard Mcdade bigmoney2160@ymail.com [BCD436HP] wrote:

having a problem and need help, Sentinal will not open - stop working

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

John Svensson

Reboot your computer, the re-open.  Only click for one occurrence other wise you will continue to get the message about it already running

From: "MCH mch@... [BCD436HP]" <BCD436HP@...>
Date: 1/29/18 19:47 (GMT-05:00)
To: BCD436HP@...

On 1/29/2018 4:57 PM, Richard Mcdade bigmoney2160@... [BCD436HP]
wrote:

> having a problem and need help, Sentinal will not open - stop working

Bob

It could be several thing, Two I know of are:

1. The user.config file is corrupted.Check out this link.

In simple terms, go to the C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Uniden folder. Of course change [user] with your own.   Delete the folders starting with "BCDx36HP_Sentinel.exe_Url".  Restart Sentinel.  The folder and the user.config file will be recreated.

2. Insure you have .Net Framework 2.0 installed. Several ways to check.  I don't know which way is better or more accurate so I would google "check .net framework 2.0 installed". Advisory: Never uninstall a .net Framework version as it could break another application. The versions are designed to co-exist.