RANGE SETTING

Joe M.

Changing antennas makes no difference in the scanner settings.

Joe M.

On 3/2/2018 12:59 PM, uphold@... [BCD436HP] wrote:

does an external antenna cancel out what ever mile range the radio is
set to?is it just for the rubber ducky antenna.

uniden.upman

The range setting does not affect how far away the scanner can receive. It only changes what is selected for scanning.

The antenna does not affect what is selected for scanning. It changes how far away the scanner can receive.

UpMan

On Friday, March 2, 2018, 12:18:00 PM CST, uphold@... [BCD436HP] wrote:

does an external antenna cancel out what ever mile range the radio is set to?is it just for the rubber ducky antenna.

John

Range setting isn't affected by the antenna.  The range affects the database. Obviously however different antennas will have limited range.

John

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid

On Mar 2, 2018 12:59 PM, "uphold@... [BCD436HP]" <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

does an external antenna cancel out what ever mile range the radio is set to?is it just for the rubber ducky antenna.

Joe M.

It limits the number of users you will scan to within the range set.

There is no guarantee you will hear everything within that range, but your scanner will scan those systems/frequencies.

Joe M.

On 3/2/2018 6:29 PM, uphold@... [BCD436HP] wrote:

what do the numbers mean for the range setting then?

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

tperry@...

Check here for how location settings work:

http://www.homepatrol.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17

.

what do the numbers mean for the range setting then?

John

The mileage out from your location you have set or the GPS is seeing. It limits the database to only systems in that range. So 10 is ten miles and 50 is fifty miles. I do wish it had a farther distance though as at home I pull stuff in at 120+ miles.

On Mar 2, 2018 6:29 PM, "uphold@... [BCD436HP]" <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

what do the numbers mean for the range setting then?

Don Safer

Joe M.

If frequencies are re-used, you will hear farther if conditions are right. This is especially true if the frequencies are CSQ (no CTCSS/CDCSS). More so if they are interop channels.

RANGE settings cannot control what you hear and don't hear - it can only control what you scan and don't scan.

Joe M.

On 3/2/2018 8:06 PM, 'Donald Safer' dlsafer@... [BCD436HP] wrote:

During the Santa Rosa area fires here in California I was able to listen
to fire departments and such there even though it was well over 50 miles
away, maybe 80? I "told" the 436 that I was in Santa Rosa by entering
the Santa Rosa zip code as my location. Still that was much too far away
to work with the rubber ducky so I used my 2 meter band (~146 MHz) 4
element beam mounted 25 feet up and pointed that way. That worked.
Don
===================================

<BCD436HP@...> wrote:

what do the numbers mean for the range setting then?

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

bob_peloquin

No it's NOT!  If you read the article on Homepatrol.com (location, location, location) you may understand it better.  In a few sentences:

Each system has a predetermined center of coverage and radius of coverage.  Unless changed by the local database administrators, these "geotags" specify all system within any county cover the whole county - so their location is defined as the center of the county and their radius (range) is set to a value which reaches the furthest points in that county.  It may (and usually does) extend beyond the borders of that county since it's a circle.

For statewide systems, unless changed by database admins, these systems cover the entire state and overlap into adjacent states as required by a circular area centered on the state.

YOUR range is added to the SYSTEMS range so that as long as YOUR range circle/location touches part of the SYSTEMS circle, you will attempt to receive that system.  Systems outside your range circle will be ignored.

So you can safely assume (usually) that you will pick up everything nearby with no problem with your range set to 0 (as it is when using a GPS).  However, further systems may be programmed so their range circle does not overlap your current location.  You may extend your location's circle but up to 30 miles to attempt to receive these more-distant systems.

But - and keep this in mind - MOST systems are defined with much longer ranges than they actually should have due to the way they were initially added to the database by Uniden employees and RadioReference admins.  The default (if someone doesn't do tons of work (as I did in Massachusetts) has all radio systems in each county set up to cover the whole county.  I find this relatively useless when traveling with the GPS enabled.  Myself and other database admins spent many many days going through each and every system in our states and reassigning the center point and range of each system so they just covered the smaller area of intended coverage defined for each system.  For example, a small town's fire department may be designed to cover only their small town and not adjacent towns.  Countywide systems basically remained unchanged as did statewide systems.

I recommend leaving your range set to 0 and your location be set to your actual latitude and longitude.  This will give you the smallest amount of systems to hear.  If you want to receive a system outside its normal defined radius of intended coverage, either increase your range till it intersects that system's range circle or copy that system to a favorites list and turn off "location" for that favorites list.

Bob - KB1VUA
RR db admin (Massachusetts)

John

You can do that, but you can also set the range to zero and it will work as if it's infinite range.

On Mar 2, 2018 8:06 PM, "'Donald Safer' dlsafer@... [BCD436HP]" <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

[...]

Also your range will pick up anything in the range circle. So if you set the scanner to 50 miles any systems who's circle breaks the 50 mile range it will scan those.
I am 50 miles from Ohio but yet many Ohio systems load because they cross into that 50 mile range.

[...]

Dewey

Are you sure about that?  I was always under the impression that zero range meant just that, not to look outside of the specified radius at all.  In fact, I also thought range zero was the recommended setting when traveling with GPS to keep the reception down to where you actually are at the time.

Dewey

The mileage out from your location you have set or the GPS is seeing. It limits the database to only systems in that range. So 10 is ten miles and 50 is fifty miles. I do wish it had a farther distance though as at home I pull stuff in at 120+ miles.

John

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid

On Mar 2, 2018 6:29 PM, "uphold@... [BCD436HP]" <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

what do the numbers mean for the range setting then?

Joe M.

Say what? A range setting of 0 makes the unit only scan systems which have service areas at your location (at least in theory that's how it is supposed to work - many systems are tagged with much larger coverage areas).

Joe M.

<BCD436HP@...> wrote:

what do the numbers mean for the range setting then?

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

John

That's how it was explained to me way back when. And has always seemed to work as well. Doing that I have gotten Chicago PD down here east of Indy.

On Mar 3, 2018 12:23 AM, "MCH mch@... [BCD436HP]" <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

Say what? A range setting of 0 makes the unit only scan systems which
have service areas at your location (at least in theory that's how it is
supposed to work - many systems are tagged with much larger coverage areas).

Joe M.

On 3/2/2018 8:23 PM, johnstark@... [BCD436HP] wrote:

> You can do that, but you can also set the range to zero and it will work
> as if it's infinite range.
>
> John
>
> /Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid/
> On Mar 2, 2018 8:06 PM, "'Donald Safer' dlsafer@... [BCD436HP]"
> <BCD436HP@...> wrote:
>
> During the Santa Rosa area fires here in California I was able to
> listen to fire departments and such there even though it was well
> over 50 miles away, maybe 80? I "told" the 436 that I was in Santa
> Rosa by entering the Santa Rosa zip code as my location. Still that
> was much too far away to work with the rubber ducky so I used my 2
> meter band (~146 MHz) 4 element beam mounted 25 feet up and pointed
> that way. That worked.
> Don
> ===================================

Joe User

+1

From: http://new.marksscanners.com/536/436_536.shtml

" Set Range This setting allows you override the default range setting
for your current location to increase or decrease the number of Trunking
Sites and Channel Departments you can receive when you are scanning from
the Full Database and when you are scanning Favorites Lists with Use
Location Control enabled. The default (and recommended) setting is 0
miles. "

While it does not explicitly say range 0 is wide open - one could
reasonably assume this is the case. Especially when zero (0) literally
means nothing & have no range would defeat scanning anything. One can
safely assume that 0 means NO range limit.

On 3/2/2018 11:42 PM, johnstark@... [BCD436HP] wrote:
That's how it was explained to me way back when. And has always seemed
to work as well. Doing that I have gotten Chicago PD down here east of
Indy.

bob_peloquin

No - if you set range to 0 it will only attempt to receive systems whose range circle overlaps your location.  it has NEVER been used to turn off the location-control setting.  You must do this by setting the "Use Location Control" setting for a favorites list to "No".  You can't do this for systems in the main database; only in favorites lists.

uniden.upman

The below snippet is not generally true. The way RR is set up, if something that can be geotagged is not geotagged, then it inherits its location info from the "next level up." So, if a system in a county is not geotagged, it inherits the location info for the county. Once the element is geotagged, it no longer inherits and instead uses the specific location applicable to the system. As specific geotagging has been applied to more and more systems, the basis for the below criticism has virtually disappeared.

As the only Uniden employee that has ever added geotags to RRDB, I can assure you that everything I set was tightly bounding only the geopolitical entity.

UpMan

On ‎Friday‎, ‎March‎ ‎2‎, ‎2018‎ ‎07‎:‎21‎:‎04‎ ‎PM‎ ‎CST, bob.peloquin@... [BCD436HP] wrote:

But - and keep this in mind - MOST systems are defined with much longer ranges than they actually should have due to the way they were initially added to the database by Uniden employees and RadioReference admins.  The default (if someone doesn't do tons of work (as I did in Massachusetts) has all radio systems in each county set up to cover the whole county.

Bob - KB1VUA
RR db admin (Massachusetts)

Evan Platt

With an external antenna, you'll potentially get further away sites, but the x36 - or any scanner for that matter, won't 'know' that you're using an external antenna, a rubber duck, or a coat hanger for that matter.

On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 4:17 AM, uphold@... [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

so why then wont an external antenna effect how far out u can bring in the diff systems as well as range settings?

uniden.upman

An external antenna will affect how far out you can receive. But it cannot change what systems are selected (i.e. the range setting in the scanner). How could the scanner possibly "know" what kind of antenna you've connected?

UpMan

On ‎Saturday‎, ‎March‎ ‎3‎, ‎2018‎ ‎10‎:‎15‎:‎20‎ ‎AM‎ ‎CST, uphold@... [BCD436HP] wrote:

so why then wont an external antenna effect how far out u can bring in the diff systems as well as range settings?

bob_peloquin

Paul, this was not meant as a criticism of you or Uniden.  It was simply a fact which, at the time the HomePatrol was released, was as far as the fact went.  Now that users and admins have contributed time and effort to improving the database by adding more geotags, it is still true that "unless changed by an admin, they default to cover the whole county" and is an accurate statement for non-statewide systems with no geotag.

So, what I'm trying to say is "use the SUBMIT button on every page of the RadioReference.com database lookup web pages and give the admins something to work with.  We need to know the center of the geopolitical area of intended coverage and the radius of the circle that just encloses that radius of intended coverage (usually the boundaries of a city, town or service area of that radio system).

I have rejected many submissions which had incorrect or completely missing geotags.  It does nobody any good to have a frequency without the location and range (especially with the proliferation of location-based scanners).

Bob - KB1VUA
RR db admin (Massachusetts)