New Uniden SDS100 announced!

John C. Lowe

What does “paid upgrade” required mean? Do you turn in your 436? Or does the SDS100 need additional monies to get all the “perks”?
(Any idea on the initial cost?)

On Mar 23, 2018, at 10:51 PM, MCH mch@... [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

For those "living under a rock" recently, Uniden announced the new
SDS100 scanner which is expected to replace the BCD436HP.

Some key new features include:

* I/Q technology Tracks and decodes LSM systems with superior ability
* SDR-based
* Color display with user-changeable text and background colors
* Smaller form factor (between BCD436HP and BCD396XT)
* Lithium Ion battery (expected run time 8 hours)
* 3 softkey buttons
* water resistant [JIS4 (IPX4) standard]
* NXDN 4800/9600 including Trunked NXDN support (a Uniden exclusive) **

(DMR including Trunked DMR and ProVoice as with the 436) **

*Note that this item has not yet received FCC approvals and may not be
offered for sale.

** Paid Upgrade required. Upgrade might not be available upon initial
release.

Expected release is Q2 2018 (between this April and June)

eMail lists for the SDS100:
<<https://groups.io/g/SDS100>>

Yes - there are two lists which are sister lists to this one. We are
trying a new service provider for email discussion lists.

Product announcement:
<<https://www.uniden.com/newsroom/press-releases/sds100-coming-soon/>>

List(s) Moderator

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Evan Platt

It means if you want DMR or the other 'optional' formats, you need to pay for each of them.

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 8:02 AM, 'John C. Lowe' gianni777s@... [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

What does “paid upgrade” required mean? Do you turn in your 436? Or does the SDS100 need additional monies to get all the “perks”?
(Any idea on the initial cost?)

> On Mar 23, 2018, at 10:51 PM, MCH mch@... [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...> wrote:
>
> For those "living under a rock" recently, Uniden announced the new
> SDS100 scanner which is expected to replace the BCD436HP.
>
> Some key new features include:
>
> * I/Q technology Tracks and decodes LSM systems with superior ability
> * SDR-based
> * Color display with user-changeable text and background colors
> * Smaller form factor (between BCD436HP and BCD396XT)
> * Lithium Ion battery (expected run time 8 hours)
> * 3 softkey buttons
> * water resistant [JIS4 (IPX4) standard]
> * NXDN 4800/9600 including Trunked NXDN support (a Uniden exclusive) **
>
> (DMR including Trunked DMR and ProVoice as with the 436) **
>
> *Note that this item has not yet received FCC approvals and may not be
> offered for sale.
>
> ** Paid Upgrade required. Upgrade might not be available upon initial
> release.
>

> Expected release is Q2 2018 (between this April and June)
>
> eMail lists for the SDS100:
> <<https://groups.io/g/SDS100>>
>
> Yes - there are two lists which are sister lists to this one. We are
> trying a new service provider for email discussion lists.
>
> Product announcement:
> <<https://www.uniden.com/newsroom/press-releases/sds100-coming-soon/>>
>
> List(s) Moderator
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> ------------------------------------
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

Joe M.

Same as the 436. DMR, ProVoice, and NXDN will be optional paid upgrades.

No idea on cost, but it will likely be the same or similar to the 436.

Joe M.

On 3/24/2018 11:02 AM, 'John C. Lowe' gianni777s@... [BCD436HP] wrote:
[...]

Posted by: "John C. Lowe" <gianni777s@...>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

---
http://www.avg.com

John

It means IF you want certain modes you pay extra for them. And no, there is no credit for what you have in the 436.

Sent from my Verizon Motorola Droid

On Mar 24, 2018 11:02 AM, "'John C. Lowe' gianni777s@... [BCD436HP]" <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

What does “paid upgrade” required mean? Do you turn in your 436? Or does the SDS100 need additional monies to get all the “perks”?
(Any idea on the initial cost?)

> On Mar 23, 2018, at 10:51 PM, MCH mch@... [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...> wrote:
>
> For those "living under a rock" recently, Uniden announced the new
> SDS100 scanner which is expected to replace the BCD436HP.
>
> Some key new features include:
>
> * I/Q technology Tracks and decodes LSM systems with superior ability
> * SDR-based
> * Color display with user-changeable text and background colors
> * Smaller form factor (between BCD436HP and BCD396XT)
> * Lithium Ion battery (expected run time 8 hours)
> * 3 softkey buttons
> * water resistant [JIS4 (IPX4) standard]
> * NXDN 4800/9600 including Trunked NXDN support (a Uniden exclusive) **
>
> (DMR including Trunked DMR and ProVoice as with the 436) **
>
> *Note that this item has not yet received FCC approvals and may not be
> offered for sale.
>
> ** Paid Upgrade required. Upgrade might not be available upon initial
> release.
>

> Expected release is Q2 2018 (between this April and June)
>
> eMail lists for the SDS100:
> <<https://groups.io/g/SDS100>>
>
> Yes - there are two lists which are sister lists to this one. We are
> trying a new service provider for email discussion lists.
>
> Product announcement:
> <<https://www.uniden.com/newsroom/press-releases/sds100-coming-soon/>>
>
> List(s) Moderator
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> ------------------------------------
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

Posted by: "John C. Lowe" <gianni777s@...>

kd2pm2@...

Tetra is only encrypted if you chose to go that route with TEA1 or other encryption (they dont use AES).  And it can be decoded actually pretty easily.  Get yourself a USB dongle that has wideband receiver, get out your unix machine and download some code and thats it.  You can listen to to TETRA on a site near you.  Albeit crude, its not like having it on a scanner though.  And since TETRA is an open standard (like P25), its not impossible for Uniden to create.  ACELP is what they use for TETRA and I believe that should not be too hard to put into any scanner.

TETRA is finally starting to grow in the US.  Some airports now use them for the businesses (JFK, Newark, LAX) some transit agencies (New Jersey Transit, New York City Transit is building theirs) and even some utilities are on the air (Georgia is using TETRA).

Not as exciting as listening to public safety though...

Joe M.

OK. I was told all voice paths on TERTA are encrypted.

Anyway, nothing within 300 miles of me.
All airlines closer are going to DMR.

"get out your unix machine" - LOL

Regardless, the new scanner design makes
it possible to add. It's "all firmware".

Joe M.

On 3/24/2018 2:37 PM, kd2pm2@... [BCD436HP] wrote:

[...]

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

John C. Lowe

You would think they’d just include it in the price so you’d get a “complete” scanner.
Oh well, thanks Joe.

On Mar 24, 2018, at 2:28 PM, MCH mch@... [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

Same as the 436. DMR, ProVoice, and NXDN will be optional paid upgrades.

No idea on cost, but it will likely be the same or similar to the 436.

Joe M.

On 3/24/2018 11:02 AM, 'John C. Lowe' gianni777s@... [BCD436HP] wrote:
> What does “paid upgrade” required mean? Do you turn in your 436? Or does the SDS100 need additional monies to get all the “perks”?
> (Any idea on the initial cost?)
>
>> On Mar 23, 2018, at 10:51 PM, MCH mch@... [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...> wrote:
>>
>> For those "living under a rock" recently, Uniden announced the new
>> SDS100 scanner which is expected to replace the BCD436HP.
>>
>> Some key new features include:
>>
>> * I/Q technology Tracks and decodes LSM systems with superior ability
>> * SDR-based
>> * Color display with user-changeable text and background colors
>> * Smaller form factor (between BCD436HP and BCD396XT)
>> * Lithium Ion battery (expected run time 8 hours)
>> * 3 softkey buttons
>> * water resistant [JIS4 (IPX4) standard]
>> * NXDN 4800/9600 including Trunked NXDN support (a Uniden exclusive) **
>>
>> (DMR including Trunked DMR and ProVoice as with the 436) **
>>
>> *Note that this item has not yet received FCC approvals and may not be
>> offered for sale.
>>
>> ** Paid Upgrade required. Upgrade might not be available upon initial
>> release.
>>

>> Expected release is Q2 2018 (between this April and June)
>>
>> eMail lists for the SDS100:
>> <<https://groups.io/g/SDS100>>
>>
>> Yes - there are two lists which are sister lists to this one. We are
>> trying a new service provider for email discussion lists.
>>
>> Product announcement:
>> <<https://www.uniden.com/newsroom/press-releases/sds100-coming-soon/>>
>>
>> List(s) Moderator
>>

>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> ------------------------------------
>>

>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> Yahoo Groups Links
>>

> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: "John C. Lowe" <gianni777s@...>
> ------------------------------------
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>

> ---
> http://www.avg.com

John C. Lowe

Thanks!

On Mar 24, 2018, at 2:36 PM, John johnstark@... [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

It means IF you want certain modes you pay extra for them. And no, there is no credit for what you have in the 436.

Sent from my Verizon Motorola Droid
On Mar 24, 2018 11:02 AM, "'John C. Lowe' gianni777s@... [BCD436HP]" <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

What does “paid upgrade” required mean? Do you turn in your 436? Or does the SDS100 need additional monies to get all the “perks”?
(Any idea on the initial cost?)

> On Mar 23, 2018, at 10:51 PM, MCH mch@... [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...> wrote:
>
> For those "living under a rock" recently, Uniden announced the new
> SDS100 scanner which is expected to replace the BCD436HP.
>
> Some key new features include:
>
> * I/Q technology Tracks and decodes LSM systems with superior ability
> * SDR-based
> * Color display with user-changeable text and background colors
> * Smaller form factor (between BCD436HP and BCD396XT)
> * Lithium Ion battery (expected run time 8 hours)
> * 3 softkey buttons
> * water resistant [JIS4 (IPX4) standard]
> * NXDN 4800/9600 including Trunked NXDN support (a Uniden exclusive) **
>
> (DMR including Trunked DMR and ProVoice as with the 436) **
>
> *Note that this item has not yet received FCC approvals and may not be
> offered for sale.
>
> ** Paid Upgrade required. Upgrade might not be available upon initial
> release.
>

> Expected release is Q2 2018 (between this April and June)
>
> eMail lists for the SDS100:
> <<https://groups.io/g/SDS100>>
>
> Yes - there are two lists which are sister lists to this one. We are
> trying a new service provider for email discussion lists.
>
> Product announcement:
> <<https://www.uniden.com/newsroom/press-releases/sds100-coming-soon/>>
>
> List(s) Moderator
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> ------------------------------------
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

Posted by: "John C. Lowe" <gianni777s@...>

John

Any time, that's why we are here, to help.

On Mar 24, 2018 2:52 PM, "Gianni's iPad Pro gianni777s@... [BCD436HP]" <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

Thanks!

On Mar 24, 2018, at 2:36 PM, John johnstark@... [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

It means IF you want certain modes you pay extra for them. And no, there is no credit for what you have in the 436.

Sent from my Verizon Motorola Droid
On Mar 24, 2018 11:02 AM, "'John C. Lowe' gianni777s@... [BCD436HP]" <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

What does “paid upgrade” required mean? Do you turn in your 436? Or does the SDS100 need additional monies to get all the “perks”?
(Any idea on the initial cost?)

> On Mar 23, 2018, at 10:51 PM, MCH mch@nb..net [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...> wrote:
>
> For those "living under a rock" recently, Uniden announced the new
> SDS100 scanner which is expected to replace the BCD436HP.
>
> Some key new features include:
>
> * I/Q technology Tracks and decodes LSM systems with superior ability
> * SDR-based
> * Color display with user-changeable text and background colors
> * Smaller form factor (between BCD436HP and BCD396XT)
> * Lithium Ion battery (expected run time 8 hours)
> * 3 softkey buttons
> * water resistant [JIS4 (IPX4) standard]
> * NXDN 4800/9600 including Trunked NXDN support (a Uniden exclusive) **
>
> (DMR including Trunked DMR and ProVoice as with the 436) **
>
> *Note that this item has not yet received FCC approvals and may not be
> offered for sale.
>
> ** Paid Upgrade required. Upgrade might not be available upon initial
> release.
>

> Expected release is Q2 2018 (between this April and June)
>
> eMail lists for the SDS100:
> <<https://groups.io/g/SDS100>>
>
> Yes - there are two lists which are sister lists to this one. We are
> trying a new service provider for email discussion lists.
>
> Product announcement:
> <<https://www.uniden.com/newsroom/press-releases/sds100-coming-soon/>>
>
> List(s) Moderator
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> ------------------------------------
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

Posted by: "John C. Lowe" <

Joe M.

Then people would complain about it costing $150-$200 more - perhaps for modes they won't use.

The only people who would really benefit is DVSI who would get a winfall from licensing fees.

Joe M.

On 3/24/2018 2:50 PM, Gianni's iPad Pro gianni777s@... [BCD436HP] wrote:

You would think they’d just include it in the price so you’d get a
“complete” scanner.
Oh well, thanks Joe.

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 24, 2018, at 2:28 PM, MCH mch@... <mailto:mch@...>
[BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@... <mailto:BCD436HP@...>>

On Mar 23, 2018, at 10:51 PM, MCH mch@... <mailto:mch@...>
[BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...
<mailto:BCD436HP@...>> wrote:

[...]

<mailto:gianni777s@...>>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

---
http://www.avg.com

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Les

Unless this new radio can solve the P25 simulcast issues that are documented and many of us have experienced with different digital modes on the Motorola systems, I am not sure this radio would be worth having.  My 2 cents worth.  Does anyone know if this radio is going to be an improvement on problems found with the 436 ??

Then people would complain about it costing $150-$200 more - perhaps for
modes they won't use.

The only people who would really benefit is DVSI who would get a winfall
from licensing fees.

Joe M.

On 3/24/2018 2:50 PM, Gianni's iPad Pro gianni777s@... [BCD436HP] wrote:

> You would think they’d just include it in the price so you’d get a
> “complete” scanner.
> Oh well, thanks Joe.
>

> On Mar 24, 2018, at 2:28 PM, MCH mch@...
> [BCD436HP] >
> wrote:
>
>> Same as the 436. DMR, ProVoice, and NXDN will be optional paid upgrades.
>>
>> No idea on cost, but it will likely be the same or similar to the 436.
>>
>> Joe M.
>>
>> On 3/24/2018 11:02 AM, 'John C. Lowe' gianni777s@...
>> [BCD436HP] wrote:
>> > What does “paid upgrade” required mean? Do you turn in your 436? Or
>> does the SDS100 need additional monies to get all the “perks”?
>> > (Any idea on the initial cost?)

>> > ------------------------------------
>> > Posted by: "John C. Lowe" >> >

>> > Yahoo Groups Links
>> >

>> > ---
>> > http://www.avg.com

Joe M.

Did you read the first post in this thread (first bullet point)?
It's still quoted below.

Joe M.

On 3/24/2018 3:11 PM, Les shew lsa12@... [BCD436HP] wrote:

Unless this new radio can solve the P25 simulcast issues that are
documented and many of us have experienced with different digital modes
on the Motorola systems, I am not sure this radio would be worth
having. My 2 cents worth. Does anyone know if this radio is going to
be an improvement on problems found with the 436 ??
Then people would complain about it costing $150-$200 more - perhaps for
modes they won't use.

The only people who would really benefit is DVSI who would get a winfall
from licensing fees.

Joe M.

On 3/24/2018 2:50 PM, Gianni's iPad Pro gianni777s@... [BCD436HP] wrote:

> You would think theyd just include it in the price so youd get a
> complete scanner.
> Oh well, thanks Joe.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Mar 24, 2018, at 2:28 PM, MCH mch@... <mailto:mch@...>
> [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@... <mailto:BCD436HP@...>>
> wrote:
>
>> Same as the 436. DMR, ProVoice, and NXDN will be optional paid upgrades.
>>
>> No idea on cost, but it will likely be the same or similar to the 436.
>>
>> Joe M.
>>
>> On 3/24/2018 11:02 AM, 'John C. Lowe' gianni777s@...
>> <mailto:gianni777s@...> [BCD436HP] wrote:
>> > What does paid upgrade required mean? Do you turn in your 436? Or
>> does the SDS100 need additional monies to get all the perks?
>> > (Any idea on the initial cost?)

>> [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...

<<https://www.uniden.com/newsroom/press-releases/sds100-coming-soon/>>

>> > ------------------------------------
>> > Posted by: "John C. Lowe" <gianni777s@...
>> <mailto:gianni777s@...>>

>> > Yahoo Groups Links
>> >

>> > ---
>> > http://www.avg.com

Joe M.

Maybe you aren't aware, but LSM is Simulcast.
(Linear Simulcast Modulation)

Joe M.

On 3/24/2018 3:11 PM, Les shew lsa12@... [BCD436HP] wrote:

Unless this new radio can solve the P25 simulcast issues that are
documented and many of us have experienced with different digital modes
on the Motorola systems, I am not sure this radio would be worth
having. My 2 cents worth. Does anyone know if this radio is going to
be an improvement on problems found with the 436 ??
Then people would complain about it costing $150-$200 more - perhaps for
modes they won't use.

The only people who would really benefit is DVSI who would get a winfall
from licensing fees.

Joe M.

On 3/24/2018 2:50 PM, Gianni's iPad Pro gianni777s@... [BCD436HP] wrote:

> You would think theyd just include it in the price so youd get a
> complete scanner.
> Oh well, thanks Joe.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Mar 24, 2018, at 2:28 PM, MCH mch@... <mailto:mch@...>
> [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@... <mailto:BCD436HP@...>>
> wrote:
>
>> Same as the 436. DMR, ProVoice, and NXDN will be optional paid upgrades.
>>
>> No idea on cost, but it will likely be the same or similar to the 436.
>>
>> Joe M.
>>
>> On 3/24/2018 11:02 AM, 'John C. Lowe' gianni777s@...
>> <mailto:gianni777s@...> [BCD436HP] wrote:
>> > What does paid upgrade required mean? Do you turn in your 436? Or
>> does the SDS100 need additional monies to get all the perks?
>> > (Any idea on the initial cost?)

>> [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...

<<https://www.uniden.com/newsroom/press-releases/sds100-coming-soon/>>

>> > ------------------------------------
>> > Posted by: "John C. Lowe" <gianni777s@...
>> <mailto:gianni777s@...>>

>> > Yahoo Groups Links
>> >

>> > ---
>> > http://www.avg.com

Les

Joe,

No I didn't catch that.  I guess it was too dark under this rock (-:
Thanks for the clarification.  I was not aware that LSM and simulcast were the same thing.  I saw some chatter about the SDS100 on some other lists, but it appeared to be a rumor only and then I saw some posts that Uniden was denying that they were going to be releasing this radio anytime soon.   Now that it is on this list without all of the conspiracy theories I will consider it more than just a rumor !   It will be interesting to see all of the anticipation and discussion on this new radio.  Thanks again.

Did you read the first post in this thread (first bullet point)?
It's still quoted below.

Joe M.

On 3/24/2018 3:11 PM, Les shew lsa12@... [BCD436HP] wrote:

> Unless this new radio can solve the P25 simulcast issues that are
> documented and many of us have experienced with different digital modes
> on the Motorola systems, I am not sure this radio would be worth
> having.  My 2 cents worth.  Does anyone know if this radio is going to
> be an improvement on problems found with the 436 ??

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    BCD436HP-digest@...
    BCD436HP-fullfeatured@...

Dexter

Certainly a lot of speculation here today. Sets one to thinking about the future, and reflecting on the past. Going back 60 years or so, first responders were huddled around 1700 kHz (kilocycles for those who remember), just above the medium wave AM band. Even then they were illusive, as many radios didn't tune up that far. The intrepid hobbyists of that day took their radios apart and tweaked a couple trimmer capacitors to stretch the band a bit.

Since then, we have been in a continuous chase in pursuit of the various services, up the electromagnetic spectrum and through various forms of modulation. Trunking had us stymied for a while several years ago. Today we struggle to keep up with a plethora of digital encoding formats and modes. The final nail in the coffin of casual listening, however, is likely to be encryption. It's viable and it appears to be fast gaining traction.

It's been an interesting ride. "Car 54, where are you"?

Bob C.

Joe M.

It was a rumor a couple months ago. Then there was a leak from a dealer. Even then many, myself included, thought it would be a year or so until it was ready. Apparently, the pic which looked like a concept was pretty old by the point it was shown to dealers. Uniden has units in the field testing now and expect release within about three months.

It's the Software Defined Surprise!

BTW, SDS many of us think stands for Software Defined Scanner. I'm not sure Uniden has confirmed that yet.

Joe M.

Yahoo Groups Links