2 Questions

andydepuy@...

How do you program the 436, the manual is confusing.

Is there anyway to use an apple computer with your 436 scanner

Richard Carlson

You must use Sentinel to do the database and firmware updates. This requires Windows. There are other programs that will help you program Favorites Lists, these mostly run in Windows.

You basically need to run Windows, either on the Mac or with a separate computer. Any old Windows machine will do it. You can get a cheap tablet for under $100 or a used laptop for abut the same price. Stay away from XP and look for something that runs Windows 7, 8 or 10.

On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 12:43 PM, andydepuy@... [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

How do you program the 436, the manual is confusing.

Is there anyway to use an apple computer with your 436 scanner

Joe M.

I would stay away from 10 more than XP. :-)

Joe M.

On 1/7/2018 5:03 PM, Richard Carlson n9jig@n9jig.com [BCD436HP] wrote:

You must use Sentinel to do the database and firmware updates. This
requires Windows. There are other programs that will help you program
Favorites Lists, these mostly run in Windows.

You basically need to run Windows, either on the Mac or with a separate
computer.. Any old Windows machine will do it. You can get a cheap
tablet for under $100 or a used laptop for abut the same price. Stay
away from XP and look for something that runs Windows 7, 8 or 10.

On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 12:43 PM, andydepuy@yahoo.com
<mailto:andydepuy@yahoo.com> [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:BCD436HP@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:

__

How do you program the 436, the manual is confusing.

Is there anyway to use an apple computer with your 436 scanner

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

John

No to Apple unless you use a windows emulator.
As for programming it's pretty simple. Select your ZIP code, range and service types and you are good to go

John

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid

On Jan 7, 2018 14:43, "andydepuy@... [BCD436HP]" <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

How do you program the 436, the manual is confusing.

Is there anyway to use an apple computer with your 436 scanner

Richard Carlson

Over the last 6 months or so Windows 10 has seemed to be just as good if not better for most things than Windows 7 was. They seemed to have got the driver issues taken care of and I have had no issues with anything related to the OS in a long time. That is pretty high praise from this old Mac dude!

On 1/7/2018 5:03 PM, Richard Carlson n9jig@... [BCD436HP] wrote:

> You must use Sentinel to do the database and firmware updates. This
> requires Windows. There are other programs that will help you program
> Favorites Lists, these mostly run in Windows.
>
> You basically need to run Windows, either on the Mac or with a separate
> computer.. Any old Windows machine will do it. You can get a cheap
> tablet for under $100 or a used laptop for abut the same price. Stay
> away from XP and look for something that runs Windows 7, 8 or 10.
>
> On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 12:43 PM, andydepuy@...
> andydepuy@...> [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...
> BCD436HP@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:
>
> __
>
> How do you program the 436, the manual is confusing.
>
> Is there anyway to use an apple computer with your 436 scanner

Jacob McWilliams

I have used Windows 10 from day 1 with Sentinel and have had no problems programing my BCD436HP or upgrading it.  The problem I am having is with my 436 clock and volume.

"The best evidence of our having the truth is our walking in the truth"
Matthew Henry

I would stay away from 10 more than XP. :-)

Joe M.

On 1/7/2018 5:03 PM, Richard Carlson n9jig@... [BCD436HP] wrote:

> You must use Sentinel to do the database and firmware updates. This
> requires Windows. There are other programs that will help you program
> Favorites Lists, these mostly run in Windows.
>
> You basically need to run Windows, either on the Mac or with a separate
> computer.. Any old Windows machine will do it. You can get a cheap
> tablet for under $100 or a used laptop for abut the same price. Stay
> away from XP and look for something that runs Windows 7, 8 or 10.
>
> On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 12:43 PM, andydepuy@...
> [BCD436HP] > <mailto:BCD436HP@...>> wrote:
>
> __
>
> How do you program the 436, the manual is confusing.
>
> Is there anyway to use an apple computer with your 436 scanner

Bill Browne <xray291@...>

I just got a BCD436 for Christmas. Using Windows 7 has not given me any problems with programming. My programming issues are that being where I am on the West side of Los Angeles, between Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Culver City, a major freeway interchange {405 and 10}, UCLA, A very large federal complex that includes a Federal Building, and a VA Hospital, I could go on, but I think my point is made.

There is too much to try and listen to. My last scanner which still works (PRO-96) I could break it down into banks, and then if something happened, I could just turn that bank on. I tried to do that with "Favorites" breaking it down to LAPD, LAFD, LA County Sheriff, Fire, Federal, CHP, etc...but when I turned on the scanner it loaded everything. I tried using the zipcode feature, and that gave me almost the same results. I deleted everything out of favorites and then using the Sentinel software loaded just LAPD and LAFD, specifically, only the utmost local police and fire channels yesterday. So far, this seems to be working better, however, in the land of freeway chases, I feel that I am missing things. I know there are people who will program the scanner for a fee, but with no guarantee what they program will work. I concur reading the manual is difficult, and one of those plastic cheat sheets that amazon sells and you cant return read like the scanner has been updated and nobody told the author.

On the other issue, I have not noticed a problem with the clock, and using the provided software, The hardest part was figuring out how many hours I am from GMT.

On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 3:31 PM, Jacob McWilliams Sr. jmcwilliamssr@... [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

I have used Windows 10 from day 1 with Sentinel and have had no problems programing my BCD436HP or upgrading it.  The problem I am having is with my 436 clock and volume.

"The best evidence of our having the truth is our walking in the truth"
Matthew Henry

I would stay away from 10 more than XP. :-)

Joe M.

On 1/7/2018 5:03 PM, Richard Carlson n9jig@... [BCD436HP] wrote:

> You must use Sentinel to do the database and firmware updates. This
> requires Windows. There are other programs that will help you program
> Favorites Lists, these mostly run in Windows.
>
> You basically need to run Windows, either on the Mac or with a separate
> computer.. Any old Windows machine will do it. You can get a cheap
> tablet for under $100 or a used laptop for abut the same price. Stay
> away from XP and look for something that runs Windows 7, 8 or 10.
>
> On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 12:43 PM, andydepuy@...
> andydepuy@...> [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...
> BCD436HP@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:
>
> __
>
> How do you program the 436, the manual is confusing.
>
> Is there anyway to use an apple computer with your 436 scanner

david_l_salomon

Look at this URL: http://new.marksscanners.com/536/436_536.shtml

It's an "easier to read" manual for the 436/536.  It might help you a bit.

73 - David, AG4F

John

Utilize the features of the radio for what you want to do. It can be done with the 436 by using Quick Keys. You have many available including System, Department and even individual channel numbers. By using these you can set up a hundred different ways to listen to what you want. And for trunked systems you even have Sites. You can simply go to a specific site and monitor everything on that site.
So there are many options on how to do it.
It takes a bit of planning to set things up the way you want but in the long run it's much better than banks.

On Jan 8, 2018 12:13 AM, "Bill Browne xray291@... [BCD436HP]" <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

I just got a BCD436 for Christmas. Using Windows 7 has not given me any problems with programming. My programming issues are that being where I am on the West side of Los Angeles, between Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Culver City, a major freeway interchange {405 and 10}, UCLA, A very large federal complex that includes a Federal Building, and a VA Hospital, I could go on, but I think my point is made.

There is too much to try and listen to. My last scanner which still works (PRO-96) I could break it down into banks, and then if something happened, I could just turn that bank on. I tried to do that with "Favorites" breaking it down to LAPD, LAFD, LA County Sheriff, Fire, Federal, CHP, etc...but when I turned on the scanner it loaded everything. I tried using the zipcode feature, and that gave me almost the same results. I deleted everything out of favorites and then using the Sentinel software loaded just LAPD and LAFD, specifically, only the utmost local police and fire channels yesterday. So far, this seems to be working better, however, in the land of freeway chases, I feel that I am missing things. I know there are people who will program the scanner for a fee, but with no guarantee what they program will work. I concur reading the manual is difficult, and one of those plastic cheat sheets that amazon sells and you cant return read like the scanner has been updated and nobody told the author.

On the other issue, I have not noticed a problem with the clock, and using the provided software, The hardest part was figuring out how many hours I am from GMT.

On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 3:31 PM, Jacob McWilliams Sr. jmcwilliamssr@... [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

I have used Windows 10 from day 1 with Sentinel and have had no problems programing my BCD436HP or upgrading it.  The problem I am having is with my 436 clock and volume.

"The best evidence of our having the truth is our walking in the truth"
Matthew Henry

I would stay away from 10 more than XP. :-)

Joe M.

On 1/7/2018 5:03 PM, Richard Carlson n9jig@... [BCD436HP] wrote:

> You must use Sentinel to do the database and firmware updates. This
> requires Windows. There are other programs that will help you program
> Favorites Lists, these mostly run in Windows.
>
> You basically need to run Windows, either on the Mac or with a separate
> computer.. Any old Windows machine will do it. You can get a cheap
> tablet for under $100 or a used laptop for abut the same price. Stay
> away from XP and look for something that runs Windows 7, 8 or 10.
>
> On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 12:43 PM, andydepuy@...
> <mailto:andydepuy@...> [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...
> <mailto:BCD436HP@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:
>
> __
>
> How do you program the 436, the manual is confusing.
>
> Is there anyway to use an apple computer with your 436 scanner

John C. Lowe

You can install “Parallels” on your Mac which emulates Windows. I tried it and ended up buying a cheap Windows laptop with wi-fi. Then you use the “Sentinel” software that comes with the scanner.

Easiest way to program is:
Put in your zip-code, turn on only the service types you want to monitor (law dispatch/talk/tac, fire, etc.). Back out of the menu and you should be scanning your area. You can also set the range wider or smaller if you want more or less hits.

I live in a large metropolitan area with a lot of suburbs so I personally set the max range and scan the “Entire Database”. The scanner stops on wherever the action is.

Good luck!

On Jan 7, 2018, at 2:43 PM, andydepuy@... [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

How do you program the 436, the manual is confusing.

Is there anyway to use an apple computer with your 436 scanner

John C. Lowe

You are 8 hours behind GMT (GMT-8). You can Google it.

> [...]

Joe M.

On 1/7/2018 5:03 PM, Richard Carlson n9jig@... [BCD436HP] wrote:

> You must use Sentinel to do the database and firmware updates. This
> requires Windows. There are other programs that will help you program
> Favorites Lists, these mostly run in Windows.
>
> You basically need to run Windows, either on the Mac or with a separate
> computer.. Any old Windows machine will do it. You can get a cheap
> tablet for under $100 or a used laptop for abut the same price. Stay
> away from XP and look for something that runs Windows 7, 8 or 10.
>
> On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 12:43 PM, andydepuy@...
> andydepuy@...> [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...
> BCD436HP@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:
>
> __
>
> How do you program the 436, the manual is confusing.
>
> Is there anyway to use an apple computer with your 436 scanner

Ed Alberque

I do exactly what is described herein when I am in NJ and when I am in Florida.......have no problems receiving except for Newark, NJ for some reason yet to be determined.......i listen principally to fire and ems ......if the auto download yields a signal I am not interested in I just press the 'Avoid' key.......

Ed

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

[...]

Mike Chace-Ortiz

To be clear, Parallels doesn’t emulate Windows. It’s purely a container for running other operating systems at the same time as macOS and requires a legitimate copy of Windows that needs to be installed into the Parallels container.

I’ve used it for years to run Windows XP on my Macs, which has allowed me to enjoy Sentinel and other pieces of Windows-only software produced by manufacturers still living in the 1980s.

—mco

On Jan 9, 2018, at 11:07, Gianni's iPad Pro gianni777s@... [BCD436HP] <BCD436HP@...> wrote:

[...]

You’re right Mike.
I forgot about having a copy of Windows. Thanks.