Trouble with NXDN scanning

John

Hi all,
I upgraded my BCD325p2 to NXDN capability a few days ago. Initial tests were positive on the only system in my immediate area. Scanning and decoding worked great and transmissions were clear.
The next day things went downhill. The scanner was no longer stopping on any transmissions. If I pressed hold to stop on one of the six frequencies that had been imported from Radio Reference DB, any traffic that occurred on that freq would be decoded but if I took the scanner out of hold it would start scanning but not stop on the same freq that still had traffic on it.

I confirmed that there was still traffic on that freq by having my SDRPlay2 on the same freq and feeding it to DSD+ for decoding.

The next day all was well with the scanner, it was scanning and decoding correctly.

Correct me if I'm wrong!
I did some research on NXDN and found that there are two flavors of trunking used.
Type-C uses Control Channels and Type-D does not. I don't know enough to determine why my scanning works one day but not the next.

I did a more detailed post on RR Forum but have not had any response. It is found here:

(MODS: If it is not permitted to post this link here please delete it)

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/nxdn-scanning-stopped-working.386591/ https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/nxdn-scanning-stopped-working.386591/

I guessing here as I have no idea how Uniden implemented this upgrade.

Theory 1
The system I am monitoring shows 6 frequencies with 2 Control Channels. If the system switches to the 2nd CC, will the scanner track this change and keep working?

Theory 2
If the system switches from Type-C to Type-D or vice versa, will the scanner track this change and keep working?

I could not find any indication on the RR DB about which type NXDN system this is.

The system is: Fleetcall/Booths Corner/Delaware County/PA

I also texted NXDN at another location: Fleetcall/Millsboro/Sussex County/DE
It worked fine but I was only there 1 night and part of the next day.
That site has 5 frequencies with only one of them being a CC.

When I returned to my home location this evening the scanner was back to not scanning properly.

Help would be welcome. Of course I have cleared and imported the system a few times, removed batteries and replaced with fresh ones, tried different antennas etc with no difference. I also cleared the scanner memory and imported only the NXDN system.

Thanks,
John

Joe M.

It sounds like a control channel might be missing.

The system will not switch between type -C and -D. That is set when it's put on the air.

If the control channel changes, the scanner will continue trunking as long as the control channel it switched to is programmed. I suspect this is where the issue lies.

Joe M.

On 4/6/2019 8:30 PM, pcusa@comcast.net [BCD325P2] wrote:
[...]

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

John

Hello Joe, Now see, you make it seem so easy. Thank you for this information.
I just used my SDRPlay 2 and DSD+ to find the strongest NXDN control channel as the tower is less than a mile away from my house. First frequency I found 502.1375 was the missing Control Channel. Plugged it into the System/Site on the scanner set the RAN to match the others and scanning started to work as it should.
Locked out that freq to test and scanner stopped responding to traffic. Unlocked the freq and proper scanning started again.

I really want to thank you for your help. Having only one NXDN site in the area made it difficult to compare what was going on.

Thanks again,
John