Harris Phase 2

toddavery1@...

Anyone scanning a Harris Phase 2 system? I seem to miss the first second or two of most traffic when scanning. I know the control channel changes with each transmission and each time someone transmits the frequency changes. Just trying to see anyone else had the same problem and if so how did you fix it? It is Rockwall County, TX P25 Phase II system. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9012

Joe M.

Are you scanning only that system?

Joe M.

On 11/7/2019 5:02 PM, toddavery1@gmail.com wrote:
Anyone scanning a Harris Phase 2 system? I seem to miss the first second
or two of most traffic when scanning. I know the control channel changes
with each transmission and each time someone transmits the frequency
changes. Just trying to see anyone else had the same problem and if so
how did you fix it? It is Rockwall County, TX P25 Phase II system.
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9012

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

toddavery1@...

Yes. Only the one system. 10 talkgroups total.

Tom Sanders

I will be interested in this thread.  I live in Ontario County, NY and they have a HARRIS system that with the 325P2 is basically unreadable.

Tom Sanders, KB2NCI
Squaw Island Amateur Radio Club
Ontario County, NY ARES/RACES
Ham Radio: Service, Science, Skill

On Nov 7, 2019, at 5:17 PM, toddavery1@... wrote:

Yes. Only the one system. 10 talkgroups total.

Ted Cappetti

If you want to overcome the simulcasting problems for this system you probably should invest in a SDS 100 or 200 yes they are expensive but you will be happy!

10

On Nov 7, 2019, at 5:53 PM, Tom Sanders <sanders5@...> wrote:

I will be interested in this thread.  I live in Ontario County, NY and they have a HARRIS system that with the 325P2 is basically unreadable.

Tom Sanders, KB2NCI
Squaw Island Amateur Radio Club
Ontario County, NY ARES/RACES
Ham Radio: Service, Science, Skill

On Nov 7, 2019, at 5:17 PM, toddavery1@... wrote:

Yes. Only the one system. 10 talkgroups total.

toddavery1@...

Our system is maybe a year old now. What is weird is sometimes I get the beginning of traffic when they key up and sometimes I don’t. If I don’t get it instantly then I will miss the first 1-2 seconds of the transmission. And if their transmission is less than 2 seconds then I miss it completely. I adjusted the P25 squelch settings and it seems I’m getting more traffic but still not all of it.

Robert A Klamp

As much as I hate to I have to second this. The SDS100 and 200 are the only way to properly monitor a simulcast system with a scanner. I love my 325p2 but i use it mostly for conventional scanning and some single site trunking monitoring. If you have simulcast problems your best bet is a 100 or 200 but I would keep the 325p2 as well for analog stuff ad the SDS definitely doesn't shine there.

Bob

If you want to overcome the simulcasting problems for this system you probably should invest in a SDS 100 or 200 yes they are expensive but you will be happy!

10

On Nov 7, 2019, at 5:53 PM, Tom Sanders <sanders5@...> wrote:

I will be interested in this thread.  I live in Ontario County, NY and they have a HARRIS system that with the 325P2 is basically unreadable.

Tom Sanders, KB2NCI
Squaw Island Amateur Radio Club
Ontario County, NY ARES/RACES
Ham Radio: Service, Science, Skill

On Nov 7, 2019, at 5:17 PM, toddavery1@... wrote:

Yes. Only the one system. 10 talkgroups total.

Steve

Even as small as Rockwall County is, this is a five site simulcast system.
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=WQYH552

Depending on your exact location, you may need to try either 'less' antenna, attenuation, or possibly a directional antenna in order to deal with simulcast issues. I'm in Dallas, southwest of downtown, so I'm too far away for reliable reception of the system. A directional antenna would perhaps work for the one system if placed properly, but if you are monitoring dome of the other systems in the area, such as PAWM, GMRS, or Kaufman County, your best alternative would be the SDS100 or SDS200. And, of course, a directional antenna is not feasible for mobile use.

toddavery1@...

Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes, Rockwall County is the smallest county in the state of Texas so surprisingly they put 5 sites in the system. One question I have is Uniden SDS 100 the only only for handheld or what about Whistler 1040? I have setup the Whistler in Arkansas to scan the AWIN system which I know is currently a Phase 1 P25- Motorola system. But it has way more than 5 sites as the entire state uses the system. Just trying to look at cost options before I spend that much on the SDS100. Thanks in advance.

Steve Hiegel <hiegtx@...>

The Whistler 1040, as well as it's various siblings, would not work at all on the Rockwall P25 system. All but one of the listed talkgroups are P25 Phase II. The 1040 as well as the other versions (base and portable) are not capable of decoding Phase II transmissions. They don't have the internal hardware required to do that, so no programming nor firmware changes could enable Phase II capability,

Your inconsistent reception (missing parts of transmissions) are likely due to simulcast issues. If you were only using the scanner at your residence, you might be able to use a directional antenna, to focus on only one site. But when used as a portable, which is why you got the 325P2, as did I, directional antennas are not an option. You might try attenuation on the system. Or, perhaps "less" antenna. Don't use something like the Remtronix (or Radio Shack) 800MHz antenna. Instead, try the stock antenna, with or without attenuation. Or, a paper clip. Some have had success using a stubby antenna, often seen at NASCAR races. Like this one. Some people have reported good results using the Comet Miracle Baby. Sometimes, changing the location of the scanner in your home or vehicle, even a short distance, works.