Looking to buy a Uniden BC898T

Fred Chase

I believe there are currently some for sale on eBay.

Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2018 8:50 PM
Subject: [BC898T] Looking to buy a Uniden BC898T

Hi BC898T Members,

My friend's Dad's is a Vietnam Vet in his 70's and loves listening to his scanner everyday. His Uniden BC898T clunked out after many, many years of 24/7 use. He doesn't want a new digital desktop scanner, can't use SDR cause he doesn't like computers and he really wants the same old Uniden model he knows and loves. I know its an old scanner an not really "modern" from what I read about the new DMR & P25 Phase 1-2 in the new radios etc.

If a BC898T group member has one in their shelf they aren't using and would like to see go to a new home where it will be appreciated and used everyday.

Thanks for indulging my request on behalf of a friendly VV and avid scanner-listener.
Louie

Howie

What do you mean it conked out?

Does it light up when turned on?

----- Original Message -----

Hi BC898T Members,

My friend's Dad's is a Vietnam Vet in his 70's and loves listening to his scanner everyday. His Uniden BC898T clunked out after many, many years of 24/7 use. He doesn't want a new digital desktop scanner, can't use SDR cause he doesn't like computers and he really wants the same old Uniden model he knows and loves. I know its an old scanner an not really "modern" from what I read about the new DMR & P25 Phase 1-2 in the new radios etc. 

If a BC898T group member has one in their shelf they aren't using and would like to see go to a new home where it will be appreciated and used everyday. 

Thanks for indulging my request on behalf of a friendly VV and avid scanner-listener.
Louie

Howie

I have a junk 8500 and 9000 which may have the same display,and tuning knobs.

We just need to see if the board can be resoldered.

WE would have to look at the number on his display and see if it matches either of mine.

Then have him take a GOOD pic of the cracked board and send to me.

IF the displays the same and IF the board isn`t too badly cracked we MAY be able to give the old girl a new life!

What state is he in?

Howie

Sent: Monday, April 09, 2018 8:50 AM
Subject: Re: [BC898T] Looking to buy a Uniden BC898T

Hi Howie, 

It appears that it got "konked" off its perch just one too many times. It sat on shelf at his furniture shop high above where he thought it would be safe. The shelf is full off odds and ends. Apparently one of the employees was reaching for something on one end of the shelf and the scanner fell off the other end. It fell about 8' from the shelf to the floor below.
Besides a cracked display, busted tuning dial, dented case the inside board is cracked.It didnt power on.  Its been repaired a few times by a Radio/Electronics Tech shop but this time the shop said they cant fix this. I only dropped by the store to say hello on weekends. It was oddly quiet without the scanner chatter which is how I found out. 

Louie

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 2:36 AM, 'Howie' esrman24@... [BC898T]
wrote:

What do you mean it conked out?

Does it light up when turned on?

Hi BC898T Members,

If a BC898T group member has one in their shelf they aren't using and would like to see go to a new home where it will be appreciated and used everyday. 

Louie