BC895XLT Firmware Updates

ka9mot@...

Hi!

I got a great deal on eBay for a BC895XLT and a SC180. The BC895XLT is pretty old and I was wondering if there are any Firmware Updates available for it and where I could find those updates. 

I'll be building the cable for PC Control and Programming today, so I am looking forward to learning if I can update/Upgrade the Firmware.

BTW, I replaced the burned out display lamps with Super Bright White LEDs. my BC895XLT now has a cool blue display. :)

Steve KA9MOT

Joe M.

I don't think you can update the 895's firmware. 

Joe M. 

On Jul 29, 2014, at 12:18 PM, "ka9mot@... [BC895XLT]" <BC895XLT@...> wrote:

Hi!

I got a great deal on eBay for a BC895XLT and a SC180. The BC895XLT is pretty old and I was wondering if there are any Firmware Updates available for it and where I could find those updates. 

I'll be building the cable for PC Control and Programming today, so I am looking forward to learning if I can update/Upgrade the Firmware.

BTW, I replaced the burned out display lamps with Super Bright White LEDs. my BC895XLT now has a cool blue display. :)

Steve KA9MOT

Michael Serowik

CAre to share the mod you did for the led?
My 895 need some TLC.

Mike - N3BSQ

On 07/29/14, ka9mot@gmail.com [BC895XLT]yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi!

Steve KA9MOT

Steven KA9MOT <ka9mot@...>

Joe M., 

You're breaking my heart! :) I haven't yet found any short comings that would require a Firmware update/upgrade, but I like to keep all of my firmware updated where updates are available.

Mike N3BSQ, 

The mod is simple. 
Remove the covers (Top and Bottom), Remove the screw that holds the faceplate on (2 on each side). 
Rotate the faceplate down and use your Meter to find the B+ voltage for the lamps (one on each side and mine was 9. something volts). 
Unplug the single cable that plugs into the display board, unscrew the display board and remove it from the scanner.
Now your going to remove the stock lamps. Keep the rubber lamp holders.

You'll notice the the lamps are wired in series on each side. B+ comes in on the bottom of the printed circuit with NEG being on the top.  
You'll need Four 3mm leds and two 2K resistors. 
Sand the tips of the leds flat and rough up the sides (This will help to disperse the light better). Be careful not to remove too much of the tip. 
Arrange the LEDs in the rubber lamp holders so that the Anode (long leg) of the first LED goes to B+.  Arrange the second LED so that it's Cathode points to NEG. Insert them into the display board and solder the B+ and NEG leads to the board. Drop the resistor across the remaining two leads. DO NOT ATTACH THESE LEADS BACK TO THE BOARD!

Do the same for the remaining 2 lamps.

Reassemble and your done. Easy Peasy!

Steve KA9MOT

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 11:46 AM, maserowik@... [BC895XLT] <BC895XLT@...> wrote:

My 895 need some TLC.

Mike - N3BSQ

Hi!

Steve KA9MOT

Joe M.

So you've got two LEDs in series that are fed with one 2k resistor? Or did I misread that?

On the firmware, they were just starting to add PC connectivity in the 895 era. 

Joe M. 

On Jul 29, 2014, at 1:54 PM, "Steven KA9MOT ka9mot@... [BC895XLT]" <BC895XLT@...> wrote:

Joe M., 

You're breaking my heart! :) I haven't yet found any short comings that would require a Firmware update/upgrade, but I like to keep all of my firmware updated where updates are available.

Mike N3BSQ, 

The mod is simple. 
Remove the covers (Top and Bottom), Remove the screw that holds the faceplate on (2 on each side). 
Rotate the faceplate down and use your Meter to find the B+ voltage for the lamps (one on each side and mine was 9. something volts). 
Unplug the single cable that plugs into the display board, unscrew the display board and remove it from the scanner.
Now your going to remove the stock lamps. Keep the rubber lamp 

You'll notice the the lamps are wired in series on each side. B+ comes in on the bottom of the printed circuit with NEG being on the top.  
Sand the tips of the leds flat and rough up the sides (This will help to disperse the light better). Be careful not to remove too much of the tip. 
Arrange the LEDs in the rubber lamp holders so that the Anode (long leg) of the first LED goes to B+.  Arrange the second LED so that it's Cathode points to NEG. Insert them into the display board and solder the B+ and NEG leads to the board. Drop the resistor across the remaining two leads. DO NOT ATTACH THESE LEADS BACK TO THE BOARD!

Steve KA9MOT

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 11:46 AM, maserowik@... [BC895XLT] <BC895XLT@...> wrote:

My 895 need some TLC.

Mike - N3BSQ

Hi!

Steve KA9MOT

Steven KA9MOT <ka9mot@...>

Joe, 
Essentially yes, but not quite as you describe it. 
I'll send a picture to your email od a schematic I drew just for you :)

Steve KA9MOT

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 1:23 PM, MCH mch@... [BC895XLT] <BC895XLT@...> wrote:

So you've got two LEDs in series that are fed with one 2k resistor? Or did I misread that?

Joe M. 

On Jul 29, 2014, at 1:54 PM, "Steven KA9MOT ka9mot@... [BC895XLT]" <BC895XLT@...> wrote:

Joe M., 

Mike N3BSQ, 

The mod is simple. 

Steve KA9MOT

My 895 need some TLC.

Mike - N3BSQ

Hi!

Steve KA9MOT

Joe M.

Ok. It's electrically what I pictured, but you put the resistor between the two LEDs. 

Joe M. 

On Jul 29, 2014, at 2:46 PM, "Steven KA9MOT ka9mot@... [BC895XLT]" <BC895XLT@...> wrote:

Joe, 
Essentially yes, but not quite as you describe it. 
I'll send a picture to your email od a schematic I drew just for you :)

Steve KA9MOT

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 1:23 PM, MCH mch@... [BC895XLT] <BC895XLT@...> wrote:

Joe M. 

Joe M., 

Mike N3BSQ, 

The mod is simple. 

Steve KA9MOT

My 895 need some TLC.

Mike - N3BSQ

Hi!

Steve KA9MOT